Watertown (New York)
Watertown is a city in New York's North Country, and the seat of Jefferson County. It is well known for its shopping by many Canadians who flock to the city to visit the Salmon Run Mall  and the many stores including Target, Lowe's, etc. Watertown is only a few miles from Fort Drum .
Settlers came here in the early 1800s to use the power from the Black River for industry. Today. Watertown has a beautiful, historic downtown center.
Watertown is about 75 miles north of Syracuse on US 11 or Interstate 81 (exits 45, 46, and 47). Adirondack Trailways Service and Greyhound provide bus service, while the closest Amtrak stations are in Rome or in Syracuse.
- Adirondack Trailways, 540 State St., ☎ .
- Greyhound, 540 State St. (North Dr Inn Theatre, NY Route 3E), ☎ .
- Watertown International Airport (IATA: ART), Dexter NY 13624, ☎ . American Airlines (American Eagle) provides two scheduled flights a day to Chicago O'Hare; airport otherwise primarily serves charter planes.
The closest major airport is Syracuse Hancock International (IATA: SYR) about 70 miles south.
- CitiBus. Provides a limited local bus service on three daytime routes.
- Thompson Park. Scenic views, children's playground, pool, golf, picnic area. New York State Zoo specializing in animals of New York State. Syracuse Symphony's concert in the park presents the 1812 overture with fireworks and cannons on or near the 4th of July.
- Washington Street Arboretum, 200 block of Washington Street. Over 30 different varieties and species of trees.
- Black River. Kayaking and whitewater rafting. Three rafting companies (Adirondack, Bob's, Hudson), seven miles of whitewater, fourteen sets of class III and IV rapids. Riverfront walking trails at the Veteran's Memorial Riverwalk, Waterworks and Marble Street Park; bike, hike or fish along the shoreline.
- Dry Hill. Wintertime tubing, snowboarding and downhill skiing.
- Farmers' Market, Washington Street (by City Hall). Open Wednesdays; everything from fresh fruit & vegetables to arts & crafts,
- Art's Jug, 820 Huntington St, Watertown 13601, ☎ . 4pm-9:30pm. Italian.
- Church Street Diner, 107 Church St, Carthage 13619, ☎ . 6am-2pm. Burgers, sandwiches, chicken, breakfast foods.
- Jreck Subs, 1201 Arsenal St, Watertown 13601, ☎ . Watertown-based submarine sandwich chain, over forty locations in northern New York.
- Stefanos Pizza and Restaurant, 258 State St, Carthage 13619, ☎ . Italian/Sicilian.
- Make your way into Sackets Harbor for additional dining opportunities.
- Maggie's on the River, 500 Newell St, Watertown 13601, ☎ . Sports bar and restaurant, casual.
- Herrings Inn, 35802 NY Route 3, Carthage 13619-3340, ☎ . 21-room stagecoach inn with bar and restaurant.
- Water is plentiful in the region.
- Best Western Carriage House Motor Inn, 300 Washington Street, ☎ , fax: +1 315 786-2097.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1290 Arsenal Street, ☎ .
- Ramada Watertown, 6300 Arsenal St 21000 NY Rt 3,Watertown, NY - 13601, ☎ .
|Routes through Watertown|
|Ends at ← Thousand Islands ←||N S||→ Pulaski → Syracuse|
|Champlain ← Potsdam ←||N S||→ Pulaski → Syracuse|
|Sterling ← Sackets Harbor ←||W E||→ Saranac Lake → Plattsburgh|