North America > United States of America > Midwest > Illinois > St. Louis Metro East
St. Louis Metro East is a region of southwestern Illinois that includes the Illinois part of the St. Louis metropolitan area, plus surrounding counties. It consists of the counties of Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Fayette, Jersey, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair, and Washington. The most populous city is Belleville, which is not far southeast of East St. Louis, which was once the most populous.
- Alton - Historic Homes, 50 Antique Shops, 9 Golf Courses, Bed and Breakfasts, Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, and Argosy Alton Casino among other things.
- Belleville - Just southeast of East St. Louis, and now the bigger of the two cities by a vast margin.
- East St. Louis - Historically the biggest city in the southern third of Illinois, East St. Louis has experienced grave population loss since the middle of the 20th century and while vast is now less populated than many of the area's smaller cities.
- Fairmont City
- Fairview Heights
- Glen Carbon
- Granite City
- O'Fallon - North of Belleville and was home to the U.S. Air Force's blimp squadron
- Swansea - An historical town about fifteen minute drive from St. Louis.
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site in Collinsville was the center of the largest prehistoric Native American city in the U.S. and one of only 20 UNESCO World Heritage sites in the nation.
The easiest way to get around, since this is a quite suburban area.
The St Louis area's light rail system, it runs deep into Illinois. Many of the Illinois stations have free parking.
The Metro East is divided into Madison County (north) and St. Clair County (South).
- St Clair County buses are operated by Metro St. Louis which is the main transit provider for the St Louis metro region. These buses tend to begin/end at MetroLink stops, providing local service.
- Madison County buses are separately operated by Madison County Transit.
- visit Collinsville for the World's Largest Catsup Bottle Birthday Party held in July
- 1 Raging Rivers. - located in Grafton
East St.Louis has the reputation locally of being one of the most dangerous towns in the United States.