- 1 Argyle International Airport (SVD IATA), Argyle Gardens, Argyle, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Commonly abbreviated as AIA, it's St Vincent's newest airport, directly east of Kingstown. It replaces the decommissioned E.T Joshua Airport as of February 14, 2017, connecting St. Vincent and the Grenadines to Miami, New York, Toronto, and other major Caribbean airports. It can be reached non-stop from Barbados, Grenada, Port of Spain, Puerto Rico and St. Lucia. Argyle is also the main gateway to the Grenadines, with several domestic airlines operating direct flights from AIA to destinations across the Grenadines.
For international flights, Argyle is a primary hub for the national airlines of SVG Air and Mustique Airways. Other commercial and charter providers with destinations in parenthesis include:
- Air Canada Rouge (Toronto-Pearson)
- American Airlines (Miami International)
- Caribbean Airlines (JFK-New York, Trinidad & Tobago)
- EasySky (Havana, Cuba)
- LIAT (Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, Saint Lucia)
- One Caribbean (Barbados, Grenada, Tortola)
Air charter companies such as Air Charter Advisors offer access to aircraft rentals around the world, with planes for on-demand charter ranging from economical single & twin engines aircraft to small jets and luxury planes. Sunwing Airlines also specializes in charter flights from Canada using a fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
By cruise ship
Even large ships can dock at a modern pier close to downtown Kingstown. The pier is served by a nice semi-covered mall and open-air kiosks most offering local goods and souvenirs, and a vehicle area supporting buses and taxis.
Although not a very large island, St. Vincent has mountainous and rugged terrain, making it difficult to get around. Private vans or taxis are your best options. Car rental is also available.
In terms of public transportation the island is served by a large number of privately owned vans that act as a bus service. These vans have an "H" at the beginning of their license plates, meaning they are "for hire". Cost to ride starts at EC$1. A van trip from Argyle airport to Kingstown is EC$3 (July 2019) as opposed to the EC$70 taxi ride. Walk up 300 m the slip road towards Windward Highway junction and hail a van. They ride fast and recklessly, hence you get a free rollercoaster ride for the fare. Many of the vans have graphics on the front and play loud music.