From San Juan, follow Autopista 52 (Expreso Luis A. Ferre) towards Ponce. At the PR-52 terminus, follow PR-2 for about 25 miles towards Mayaguez. Exit at the PR-122 / Casto Perez Ave. exit on PR-2.
There are limited transit options, but the central district is easily navigable on foot. Driving is difficult with lots of traffic in mid-day.
San Germán's main sight is its colonial architecture, all narrow, twisty alleyways and Spanish buildings in pastel colors, some crumbling, some newly repaired. The old city is centered around the leafy plazas of Parque de Santo Domingo and Plaza Francisco Mariano Quiñones.
- Iglesia Porta Coeli, Parque de Santo Domingo. Wed-Sun. Dating back to 1606, this is one of the oldest churches in the Americas. It now hosts a museum of religious paintings.
- San Germán de Auxerre. A Spanish baroque church straddling the two plazas. Even older in theory (a chapel was first built here in 1573), but the present structure dates mostly to 1737, when it was rebuilt after an earthquake.
- Atleticos de San German. Professional basketball team with the most history and championships in the Pro basketball league in Puerto Rico (BSN). League runs usually from April thru July.
- Farmacia Martin. One of the oldest pharmacies . About 80 year old pharmacy. At Parque de Santo Domingo
San Germán is the gastronomic center of the area. Throughout the years, several restaurants have served both locals and visitors. Two restaurants, institutions in the town, are Mike's Steak House, with its famous churrasco, and Palermo Pizzeria & Italian Restaurant. Both have been open for more than 30 years.
- Mike's Steak House, Ave. Casto Perez #122 San German (From Carr#2, Ave. Casto Perez will take you less than 1 mile to your left, in the Las Lomas Shopping Ctr.), ☎ . L-D 11AM-11PM. Mike's Steak House is a gastronomical institution. Known in San German and throughout the island for its "Churrasco al Carbon", it also offers other USDA Choice steaks, mofongo rellenos, chicken, fish and shrimp dishes. In late 2008, they remodeled the restaurant, offering a private pub-cafe type bar, separated from the main lounge area.
Hotel Oasis is a quaint bed & breakfast at #72 Luna St in the heart of town.
If you've made it this far, don't miss the beaches of the southern coast.