The first people who lived around San Jose are the indigenous Ati, or Negritos, until one of the ten datus who left Borneo and settled in Panay bought their traditional lands along the coast. What would become San Jose started as the village of Tubigon ("under water" in the Kinaray-a language), then a part of nearby Hamtic, mostly covered by jungle and was frequently targeted by Moro pirates. Tubigon became a formal settlement in 1733, and its first parish church was established in 1790. The center of government is at the sitio (hamlet) of Mala-iba, soon renamed to San Jose, both after its patron saint and the son of a local town chief. When Antique is separated from Oton (present Iloilo province), San Jose is made the capital, but only in 1872 became a town and the suffix "de Buenavista" was added after its remarkable views.
San Jose is 96 km (60 mi) from Iloilo City, but it receives few visitors. One draw to San Jose is the Binirayan Festival, the beaches and its the town. Pace of life in San Jose is much relaxed, and there are a few visitors.
- 1 Evelio Javier Airport (EUQ IATA), Airport Access Road, Funda-Dalipe. Cebgo and PAL Express flies once a day from Manila, using turboprop planes.
UV Express vans run from Iloilo, and takes 2 hours. Like the Ceres buses, they also arrive around Tradetown.
The bus terminal is 1 km from the center.
- 1 Evelio Javier Freedom Park (In front of the Antique Provincial Capitol). A park dedicated to Antique Governor Evelio Javier, who was assassinated in 1986. There is a marker that reads "A fitting tribute to a man who has done so much, not only for the people of Antique, but the entire Filipino nation, in pursuit of justice, freedom, dignity, democracy and peace" at the spot where he is shot dead. The circumstances behind Javier's assassination remains unknown, but he is known for his vocal opposition to president Ferdinand Marcos.
- 2 San Jose Esplanade. A seaside promenade with good views of the Sulu Sea. It is partially opened in 2020, and you can walk, bike or watch the sunset.
- Binirayan Festival: Every last week of January.
- Camp Autajay (Piña Beach).
- Gaisano Grand Mall of Antique.
- 1 Robinsons Place Antique, Iloilo-Antique Rd. 9AM-9PM. Nice place to walk around. Air-conditioned.
There are two banks with 24-hour ATMS, BDO (at Moscoso St) and PNB (at Tobias Fornier St)
- Villa Gabriella, Calixto Zaldivar St, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. A/C single/double with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱750.
- Eagles Inn, A.T. Fornier St, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. high end price.
- Check-in: anytime, check-out: noon. AC and fan double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. Has 6 air con room and 12 fan rooms. air con ₱600, fan ₱300. , General Fullon St, ☏ .
- La Trinidad Lodge, Gobierno St, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. Double rooms with own bathrooms. ₱450.
- Tradetown Pension House, Funda-Dalipe, ☏ , . Check-in: anytime, check-out: 1PM. AC double room with own bathroom and cable. ₱500.
- Barrio House Beach Resort and Training Center, Madrangca San Jose (right on the beach), ☏ , . Check-in: anytime, check-out: noon. Fan room with own bathroom and dorm beds.
- King Court Travelers Inn, Madrangca San Jose, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Double rooms with own bathroom.
|Routes through San Jose de Buenavista|
|Kalibo ← Sibalom ←||N S||→ Hamtic → Iloilo City|