Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sandown and Shanklin are seaside resort towns on Sandown Bay. The bay, which is off the English Channel, is known for a long stretch of easily accessible golden sandy beach. Sandown is the site of the island's zoo and the lost Sandown Castle.
- Southern Vectis. Two routes run from Newport Bus Station via Godshill, Shanklin, Sandown and Brading to the Ryde Terminus. In summer, an Island Coaster bus covers the entire south shore of the island, while a local double-decker Shanklin Breezer runs half-hourly for most of the day within the town, seaside and Old Village. £10/day.
- Shanklin Breezer. Hop-on, hop-off bus provides "land train" service between Sandown and Shanklin in summer. ₤4.
- Shanklin Steamer. Tourist orientated half-hourly bus service connecting Shanklin train and bus stations with the beach and Old Village. Summer only.
- 1 Dinosaur Isle, Culver Parade, Sandown, ☏ , fax: . Dinosaur museum
- National Poo Museum, Sandown. Plop-up Poo Museum (Brown’s Golf Course, Sandown) open sporadically, featuring Poo Spheres and other interesting exhibits with staff on hand to chat and answer questions. A permanent facility is planned for 2018.
- Sandown Castle was a device fort built at Sandown by Henry VIII in April-September 1545. A French attack (during construction in July 1545) stalled, but by 1627 coastal erosion had undermined the castle's walls. The ruins were dismantled in 1631 and a new Sandown Fort built further inland. Possible remains of the foundations of the original castle remain visible along the shore at low tide.
- 1 Isle of Wight Zoo, Yaverland Seafront, Sandown, PO36 8QB, ☏ . Mid-Feb to end of Oct: 10AM-4PM; Apr-Sep: 10AM-5:30PM. A privately-owned sanctuary inside a fort on the coastline of Sandown. Shop, café, play area. No pets, no service dogs. ₤12.10/person, parking £3.
- 2 Shanklin Theatre, Prospect Road, Shanklin, PO37 6AJ, ☏ . Isle of Wight Dance Festival, Christmas Pantomime, a professional summer season and local amateur dramatics.
- 3 Amazon World Zoo Park, Watery Lane, Nr Arreton, PO36 0LX, ☏ . 10AM-5:30PM. ₤10.95/adult, £8.95/child.
- Pavarotti's Italian Restaurant, 105 High Street, Shanklin, ☏ .
- Pendletons, 85 High St, Shanklin, ☏ .
- King Harry's Bar, 6 Church Road, Old Village, Shanklin, ☏ . noon-11PM daily, Su noon-10:30PM. A thatched pub built in 1854 with a pair of Tudor bars, function rooms and Bed & Breakfast accommodation. Live rock-and-roll on Friday nights.
- Sandown Manor, Yaverland Road, Sandown, ☏ . 16-room bed and breakfast, bath or shower en-suite, outdoor pool, Wi-Fi in common areas.
|Routes through Sandown and Shanklin|
|Ryde ← Brading ←||N S||→ END|