Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sandspit (Haida: K'il Kun) is only town on Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia. Sandspit is the main jumping off point for those flying in from Vancouver and to Haida Gwaii as well as for those wanting to explore Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve.
Sandspit (population about 300 in 2016) is served by Sandspit Airport and by ferry from Alliford Bay to Skidegate Landing on Graham Island. Sandspit has accommodations, a campground, supermarket and 85-berth harbour serving visitors to Gwaii Haanas.
- 1 Sandspit Visitor Centre, 1 Airport Road, ☏ +1 250-637-5362, email@example.com.
- 1 BC Ferries - Moresby Islandferry terminal (Alliford Bay ferry terminal), Beach Road, Alliford Bay (15 min W of Sandspit), ☏ +1 250-559-8204, toll-free: +1-888-223-3779. Operates vehicle ferry from Graham Island (Skidegate) ferry terminal (20 minute crossing), departing throughout the day every 1 to 2 hours. If traveling from the outside of Haida Gwaii, you must travel from (Prince Rupert to Graham Island (Skidgegate) ferry terminal (7 to 8 hours crossing).
- 2 Sandspit Airport (YZP IATA), 1 Airport Road, ☏ +1 250-637-5313.
- Air Canada, ☏ +1-514-393-3333, toll-free: +1-888-247-2262. Canada's largest airline with hubs in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. It operates across Canada and services international destinations. Offers daily flights between Sandspit and Vancouver (YVR IATA) in 1.75 hours.
- Sandspit Taxi & Charters, ☏ +1 250-637-5655. Local taxi service serving Sandspit.
- Eagle Transit, ☏ +1 250-559-4461, firstname.lastname@example.org. Provides an airport shuttle between the Sandspit Airport and Daajing Giids-Skidegate.
- Spirit of Sandspit, Beach Road (near Sandspit Inn). A copper and cedar sculpture of a salmon by island artist Lon Sharp.
- Moresby Island Circle Tour. Follows an active gravel logging road past Skidegate Lake, Copper River, Gray Bay beach, and Copper Bay, where traditional Haida people fish for sockeye salmon and hang the fish out to dry in May and early June.
- 1 The Willows Golf Course, 342 Copper Bay Rd, ☏ +1 250-637-2388. A 9-hole golf course.
- Moresby Explorers, 365 Beach Road, ☏ +1 250-637-2215, toll-free: +1-800-806-7633, email@example.com. Offers boat tours, kayaker services, and other marine transport. Owns Seaport B&B.
- Other activities include beachcombing, hiking, fishing, boating, canoeing, flightseeing, camping and sea kayaking.
Sandspit offers a grocery store, liquor store, ATM, gas station and a few art galleries.
- 1 Shingle Bay Bistro, 1 Airport Road (Sanspit Airport). Daily 8AM-3PM.
- 1 Bayview Garden B&B and Hostel, 401 Beach Road (1.5 km from the airport), ☏ +1 250-637-5749, firstname.lastname@example.org. Bayview Garden is a oceanfront guesthouse with a three-bedroom cottage separate from the main house; offers a choice of either Private Rooms or Hostel-style accommodation. B&B room (single/double) $70/90+tax; bed hostel-style (no breakfast included) $27+tax.
- 2 Northern Shores Lodge, 455 Alliford Bay Drive, ☏ +1 250-637-2233. Specializing in boarding for work crews, meal catering (continental breakfast, bag lunches and full-course dinners) for short or longer-term stays. From $107.
- 3 Seaport B&B, 371 Beach Road, ☏ +1 250-637-2215, toll-free: +1-800-806-7633, email@example.com. Seaport B&B offers waterfront accommodation. Each of the 8 rooms has one queen bed and one single bed that are set up to accommodate two people (either a couple or two singles) but can also work for a family group of three. Some rooms have private bathrooms. All room rates include hot breakfast. Owned by Moresby Explorers.
Explore Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve or take the 25-minute ferry to Skidegate on Graham Island.