Hartsfield-Jackson airport is also the terminus of the southern branch of the MARTA rail system (see 'Get around' below), and for travelers going to locations in downtown, midtown or northern Atlanta this forms a convenient, and at $2.50 per one-way ticket, economic way of getting there. Most MARTA stations have taxi stations to aid completion of the journey, and some hotels have free shuttles which will collect from either the airport or nearest MARTA station on telephone request.
Being so close to Atlanta, visitors are welcome to travel by train via Amtrak  1-800-872-7245. Amtrak's Crescent train runs daily and serves New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham and New Orleans (and vice-versa). Southbound, the train leaves New York just before 3PM, calls at Atlanta at around 9AM and reaches New Orleans by 8PM. Northbound, the train leaves New Orleans at around 7AM, calls at Atlanta at around 8PM and reaches New York by 2PM.
In Atlanta, the Amtrak station is located at 1688 Peachtree St. N.W., which is several miles north of the airport and downtown. Unfortunately, there are no direct connections between the MARTA trains and Amtrak. However, MARTA Bus routes 23 and 110, which can be transferred at the Buckhead Station and the Arts Center Station, stop in front of the Amtrak Station.
Greyhound Bus Lines , 1-800-229-9424, provides bus service to Atlanta from many locations throughout the United States. Buses arrive at and depart from the Greyhound terminal at 232 Forsyth Street, located in a less affluent neighborhood on the southern edge of the downtown area and directly beneath MARTA's Garnett Station (see 'Get around' below).
Atlanta is linked to the rest of the US by the interstate highway network. The principal interstates serving the city are I-75 (serving traffic from Detroit to Florida), I-85 (connecting the Mid-Atlantic to New Orleans) and I-20 (connecting Texas to South Carolina), all of which cross through Downtown.
I-285 (commonly called the Perimeter by Atlantans, and the Atlanta Bypass on overhead signs) circles the city at a distance of about 10 miles out, crossing and connecting with all the above freeways as well as the airport.
Sandy Springs is served by MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority), +1 404-848-4711, , which operates both rapid rail and bus networks in the counties of Fulton and Dekalb.
For out-of-town visitors, MARTA is a convenient way to travel from the airport to all stations on its network. Those who need to travel alone at night, however, may be better served by taking taxis, hotel buses, or renting a car, as the system often becomes empty or rowdy at nighttime, and travel may feel unsafe to those who do not know the city. Most destination stations have Taxi service available for local trips.
The rail network is comprised of two principal lines making up a cross. One line runs north-south across the city, while the other runs east-west. The north-south line runs from a southern terminus at Hartsfield-Jackson airport through downtown and midtown Atlanta, before splitting into two branches running north, one which terminates in Sandy Springs at the North Springs station and the other which terminates at the Doraville station. The east-west line runs from an western terminal at Hamilton E. Holmes to an eastern terminal at Indian Creek. The Five Points station in downtown Atlanta is the only station where passengers may change trains between the north-south and east-west lines. Trains run from 5AM until 1AM Monday-Friday, and from 5AM until 12:30AM on weekends and holidays. Trains run on all lines every 10 minutes during peak periods, reducing to every 20 minutes on Sundays.
The bus network comprises over one hundred different bus routes, with many routes operating approximately every 20 minutes. Bus service on some lines (generally including the most popular tourist areas) runs from 5AM until 1:30AM Monday-Friday and from 5AM until 1AM on the weekends and holidays.
A single ride on MARTA costs $2.50. The fare includes transfers. Single use Breeze Cards are sold in vending machines at all rail stations or at RideStores at Airport. When starting the journey by bus, swipe the card at the fare post next to the driver. When starting the journey by train, swipe the car at the fare gate, your now cash depleted card will act as your transfer. When transferring to a bus, give the operator your breeze card. When transferring to a train, swipe the transfer ticket through the reader on the turnstile.
Note for Weekend Travel: MARTA has a tendency to run slower on the weekends. Typical wait times are 30 minutes for trains and up to an hour for buses. Be sure to accommodate for this.
If MARTA Rail does not service all the areas you need, cars are the most popular form of transport in order to get around the city to experience various shopping, events and more. Renting a car is recommended. Rush hour runs almost continuously but peaks 6-10AM and 3-7PM on weekdays and often results in congestion when traveling intown in the mornings and outbound in the afternoons. Downtown/Midtown and major shopping districts such as Buckhead will also get crowded on weekends. Most restaurants and shops in the area offer complimentary or low-cost valet services ($1-3 tip expected) and on the rare occasion where parking is scarce, public lots are usually nearby for a fee. Free road maps are available at .
Car Rental Companies:
Alamo Rent A Car , Toll free: 1-800-462-5266. Avis Rent A Car , Toll free: 1-800-331-1212. Budget Rent A Car , Toll free: 1-800-527-0700. Dollar Rent A Car , Toll free: 1-800-800-3665. E-Z Rent-A-Car , Toll free: 1-800-277-5171. Enterprise Rent-A-Car , Toll free: 1-800-261-7331. Hertz Car Rental , Toll free: 1-800-654-3131. Thrifty , Toll free: 1-800-847-4389.
- 1 Anne Frank in the World: 1929-1945, 5920 Roswell Rd. Suite A-209 (Exhibit located at Roswell Road exit off of I285 1/10th mile on the left on Roswell Road in Parkside Shopping Center.), ☎ . Tues-Thursday: 10am-4pm Friday: 10am-2pm Sat-Sunday: 12pm-4pm Monday Closed. Free admission.
- 2 The Heritage Sandy Springs Museum, 6075 Sandy Springs Circle, ☎ . W 11AM - 2PM other days by appointment.
- 1 Steel Canyon Golf Club, 460 Morgan Falls Road (Take GA-400 to exit 6- Northridge Rd. Travel west to Roswell Rd. Turn left and go approximately 1 1/2 miles to the second traffic light which is Morgan Falls Rd. Turn right. Steel Canyon Golf Club is down 1/2 mile on the left.), ☎ . Summer Hours 7:30 am – 9:00 pm.
- 2 Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area Island Ford Unit.
- Sandy Springs Festival, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Act3 Playhouse, 6285-R Roswell Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 1 CalyRoad Creamery, 227 Hilderbrand Dr. NE, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sunday Closed Monday – Tuesday By Appointment Only Wednesday – Friday: 8am – 5pm Saturday: Closed.
- 2 Red Baron Antiques, 8655 Roswell Rd. Ste. B, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M - F 9AM-5PM S 10AM-4PM.
- 1 Zafron Restaurant, 236 Johnson Ferry Rd NE, ☎ .
- 2 Double Zero Napoletana, 5825 Roswell Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Ray's on the River, 6700 Powers Ferry Rd NW, ☎ .
- Comfort Inn-Buckhead North, 5793 Roswell Rd (Just off I-285 at Roswell Rd on the north side of Atlanta.), ☎ .
- Comfort Suites, 6110 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Courtyard by Marriott - Glenridge Perimeter Center, 5601 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Courtyard by Marriott - Perimeter Center, 6250 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Crowne Plaza, 6345 Powers Ferry Rd, ☎ .
- Embassy Suites Atlanta Perimeter Center, 1030 Crown Pointe Parkway, ☎ . Hotel suites located walking distance from the Perimeter Mall and upscale dining. Hot breakfast and evening reception at no additional charge. Indoor heated pool and fitness center.
- Extended Stay America, 905 Crestline Pkwy, ☎ .
- [dead link]Extended Stay Deluxe- Atlanta Perimeter, 6330 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Perimeter Center, 1145 Hammond Drive, ☎ .
- Hamptom Inn- Perimeter, 769 Hammond Drive, ☎ .
- Hilton Suites, 6120 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 765 Hammond Drive, ☎ .
- Homestead Studio Suites, 1050 Hammond Drive, ☎ .
- Hyatt Place, 1005 Crestline Pkwy, ☎ .
- Intown Suites Sandy Springs, 355 Hammond Drive, ☎ .
- La Quinta Inn & Suites, 6260 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 6280 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, ☎ .
- Residence Inn by Marriott, 6096 Barfield Rd, ☎ .
- Sheraton Atlanta Perimeter North, 800 Hammond Dr, ☎ .
- Staybridge Suites, 760 Mount Vernon Hwy, ☎ .
- The Westin Atlanta Perimeter North, 7 Concourse Pkwy, ☎ .
- Chatahoochee River Fun — Over 20 miles of Chattahoochee River shoreline and three National Park Sites, including; Island Ford, East Palisades, Powers Island Parks. Canoeing and kayaking year around. Rentals available at local outfitters like Shoot The Hooch. In addition, the Chattahoochee Nature Center in Roswell offers education environmental programs, canoe trips and other recreational activities.
- Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags White Water — is a family amusement park open weekends, March through October, and daily, June through mid-August. The park features the tallest roller coaster in the Southeast, Goliath, and the world’s largest interactive theme park water play structure, Skull Island. Si offers a variety of thrilling water rides, slides and waterfalls, including Tornado, the Ultimate Storm and Cliffhanger, one of the tallest freefalls in the world.
- Stone Mountain Park — Georgia's #1 attraction, Stone Mountain Park, is located just east of Atlanta and has over 3,200 acres of natural beauty. The park offers recreation activities, special events, lodging, camping entertainment, themed attractions and the famous Lasershow Spectacular.
- Lake Lanier Islands — The closet beach to Atlanta can be found at Lake Lanier Islands Resort, with its lakefront beaches, water park, golf courses, boating, spas, and more.
- Chateau Elan Winery and Resort — Chateau Elan, a 16th-century-styled French retreat, is just 30 minutes north of Atlanta and has a festive atmosphere that encourages guests to tour the vineyards, visit the winery, have lunch at a sidewalk café and play a round of golf.
- Callaway Gardens — Located in Pine Mountain, is a premier vacation spot with tons of activities for the entire family.
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards — Located in Dahlonega,Wolf Mountain Vineyards offers a perfect get-away to taste award winning wines and enjoy a beautiful scenery. The vineyards and winery provide the perfect setting for Sunday brunch, café lunch, and gourmet dinners.
|Routes through Sandy Springs|
|Asheville ← Roswell ←||N S||→ Atlanta → Albany|
|END ←||N S||→ Dunwoody → Downtown Atlanta|