Sandys Parish (pronounced "sands") consists of the three islands of Ireland Island, Boaz Island, and Somerset Island, as well as a small part of the main island of Bermuda.
By cruise ship
Most large cruise ships to Bermuda dock at the King's Wharf adjacent to the Dockyard. For more information, see Bermuda#Get in.
Hourly ferries during the day from Hamilton ferry terminal to Dockyard are comfortable, air-conditioned and fast. $4.
Most buses on routes #7 and #8 from Hamilton have "Dockyard" as their western terminus. They run every 15 minutes during the day and once per hour from 6:15 pm to 9:15pm (final bus from Hamilton: 10:45 pm). $4
A taxi from Hamilton to Dockyard costs about $60.
The 15 km (9.3 mi) ride from Hamilton to Dockyard takes about 45 minutes.
The Dockyard area is small and easily walkable. In the summer, a free trolley-train carts the elderly, infirm and lazy around the Dockyard area and the adjacent cruise ship wharf.
- Ireland Island is home to the 1 . Built in 1809, from 1812 to 1957 it was the British Royal Navy's Western Atlantic headquarters. Its main historical role was to supply British ships in the War of 1812 and the American Civil War. Somewhat useless after World War II, the dockyard was repurposed as a cruise ship wharf in the 1980s and now features an eclectic mix of tourist attractions, historic monuments, restaurants and shops. Take half a day to visit, more if you really like military tourism.
- 2 Fort Scaur and Scaur Hill Fort Park (overlooking the waters of the Great Sound).
- 3 National Museum (Bermuda Maritime Museum), The Keep, Maritime Ln, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 9-5 daily in summer, 10-4 daily in winter. Preserving many of the Dockyard's historic military buildings, keep and houses displays about Bermuda's colonial and shipfaring past. The view of the entire island from the second story of the "Commissioner's House" (the main building of the museum) is worth the $10 admission alone.
- 4 Somerset Bridge. The smallest working drawbridge in the world. Connecting Somerset Island with the mainland in the western parish of Sandys. Dating from the 17th century.
- 1 Bermuda Fun Golf, Royal Naval Dockyard, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Th 10AM-6PM; Fr-Su 10AM-10PM. Situated on an acre of oceanfront property, Bermuda Fun Golf features 18 challenging holes designed after famous holes in the USA, Scotland and Bermuda. Special features include the Sunset Terrace, affording great views of the sunset and the Caddy Shack, their fully licensed bar. 15$.
- 2 Dolphin Quest, ☏ . Inside the walls of the Maritime Museum is an opportunity to swim with dolphins. You can choose your level of interaction, from a 20-minute introduction to a whole day with the trainers.
- Neptune Cinema. A one-screen theatre in an historic building, with nightly shows (7:30; Sunday 5:30) featuring films usually 1-2 weeks after their U.S. release.
- 3 Snorkel Park, ☏ . Su-Su 9AM-3PM. Royal Naval Dockyard. A limestone tunnel through the keep's wall puts you on the beachfront for snorkeling or water sports. This is often a popular stop for passengers coming off the cruise ships and reluctant to leave the Dockyard area.
- 1 Bone Fish Bar & Grill, 6 Dockyard Terrace Royal Navy Dockyard (at the ferry terminal), ☏ . Offers a variety of dishes, from Italian to local fish to burgers & ribs. (Not connected to the U.S. "Bonefish" chain).
- 2 Buzz (inside the Dockyard Pharmacy). A takeout sandwich shop — part of a local Bermuda chain.
- 3 Cafe Amici (in the Clocktower Mall), ☏ . An Italian restaurant that also serves breakfast.
- 4 Dockyard Pastry Shop (adjacent to the Victualling Yard), ☏ . Su-Su 9AM-5PM. An outdoor tearoom and coffee shop, featuring sandwiches and home-made pastries and desserts.
- 5 The New Woodys Sports Bar & Restaurant, 1 Woody's Drive (at Boaz island), ☏ . Seafood restaurant by the sea.
- 1 Calico Jack's Floating Bar, ☏ . Su-Su noon-2AM. It looks like a pirate ship moored at the Dockyard. You can drink and walk a plank into the bay to swim.
- Dockyard Brewing Company. Bermuda's only brewery, featuring wheat beers, pale ales, ambers, porters, and experiments.
- Dockyard Pharmacy.
- 2 Frog & Onion Pub and Restaurant, Maritime Ln (in the Cooperage Building), ☏ . Dockyard Brewing Company products available. A pub in the British tradition. Featuring standard pub fare and a few island specialities. Kids welcome.
- Southampton Parish is to the southeast.