A small (pop 2,500) village, America's Christmas home town was once named Santa Fee. The name was changed in 1856 as it sounded too similar to Santa Fe, a settlement 200 mi (320 km) to the north.
Christmas Boulevard is the main street; other roads bear the names of the Three Wise Men, Chestnut by the Fire and Santa's reindeer. Letters to Santa Claus have been answered locally since 1914, with twenty thousand personal replies sent annually by a group of two hundred volunteers, many of whom come from afar.
Among the local landmarks are the old church, the post office and a 10-foot statue of Santa Claus. Kringle Place, the main shopping area in Santa Claus, is a mix of Christmas-themed shops and everyday chain stores. There are models of Santa everywhere. A gated residential community, Christmas Lake Village, was established in the 1960s.
All times listed are in the Central time zone (GMT-6).
There is no local public transportation; the nearest taxi is 20-30 miles distant.
- Christmas Lake Golf Course, 1 Clubhouse Road, toll-free: . Golf, events centre, 19th Hole restaurant.
- Frosty’s Fun Centre, 15 Cedar Lane, ☏ . Christmas-themed 18-hole miniature golf course, arcade games, restaurant with sandwiches, ice cream and fresh pizza.
- 1 Holiday World & Splashin' Safari, 452 E. Christmas Blvd (at the junction of Highways 162 and 245), toll-free: . seasonal, May-Nov. A large theme park with several world-class water slides and three wooden roller coasters, "The Raven", "The Legend" and "The Voyage".
- Santa's Candy Castle, 15499 North State Road 245, ☏ . Seasonal (day after Thanksgiving until New Years' Eve); 10AM-5PM Mo-Th, 10AM-9PM Fr, 9AM-9PM Sa, 9AM-6PM Su.
- Santa's Stables, 6709 E. County Road 1450 North, Lamar, Indiana, ☏ . 9AM-4PM weekends Apr-Oct, 9AM-7PM daily in summer. 20-minute and 45-minute horse and pony riding tours. horses $25-35/rider; $5 pony ride for kids.
- Santa Claus Christmas Store, 33 North Kringle Place, toll-free: . Seasonal, May 1-Dec 31. Christmas hats, freshly-baked cookies, decorations and Christmas village collectibles. The man with the red robes and white beard may be found in Santa's grotto at the back of the store from May onward.
- Kringle Place, ☏ , fax: . Commercial plaza with a dozen businesses including the post office, Santa Claus Christmas Store, Brick Oven Pizza, bank, pharmacy, Holiday Foods grocery and Spencer County travel info bureau.
- Santa's Toys, 3. N Kringle Place, ☏ . Has toys for all ages but caters to younger children, has vintage style toys
- Brick Oven Pizza, 21 North Kringle Place, ☏ .
- 1 Santa's Lodge, 91 W Christmas Blvd,, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Indoor and outdoor pools, whirlpool, catch and release fishing, ziplines, paddle boats, and a bounce house. Room prices include parking and wi-fi. St Nick's Restaurant serves seasonal full service breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Restrictive policy requires first night paid in advance and three days notice to cancel; smokers and pets are not welcome.