Sawai Madhopur was founded by and named after Sawai Madho Singh I in 1763. The current population of the city is approximately 125,000 people. It is generally used by travelers as a place to stay while visiting Ranthambore, 11 km away.
The nearest airport is located in Jaipur.
Traveling by bus from/to Sawai Madhopur is less preferable than traveling by train. The buses are very slow and uncomfortable.
Buses to Jaipur (6 hours) leave several times per day from a bus stand located near the overpass.
The city can be explored by foot.
Most visitors to Sawai Madhopur visit nearby Ranthambore, which has a fort and a famous national park.
However, there are several attractions within the city:
- Chouth Mata Mandir.
- Trinetra Ganesh Temple, Opp. Hotel hill View Ranthambore Road (Take a car or Jeep from Sawai Madhopur railway station; the distance is 12 km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Ancient temple, dating back to 1299.
- Chamatkar Temple (3km from the railway station). A Jain temple.
- Bhairon Temple (On top of the hill).
Take a safari to the national park in nearby Ranthambore.
- [dead link] Cheetal Handicrafts, Ranthambhore Road (Opposite the Hotel Regency), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Locally-produced handicrafts.
- Dastkar Ranthambhore, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A project to provide income to local women by having them produce and sell handmade works including beautiful blockprints, bedsheats, covers, and clothes. Items can also be purchased online from the website.
- [dead link] Dhonk, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-5PM. Similar to Dastkar, this is a project that provides local women an opportunity to earn income by producing crafts. Items can also be purchased online from the website.
- Ranthambhore School of Art, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. An NGO founded by M. D. Parashar, you can buy paintings of tigers produced by the founder.
- Manisha Restaurant, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ . Vegetarian café popular with the locals. Mains: ₹80-160.
- Ranthambhore Chokhi Dhani, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ . Popular for daal baht.
- Restaurant @ The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ .
Almost every hotel and restaurant serves alcohol and coffee.
Many hotels are located on the edge of the city on Ranthambhore Road. Safari operators will pick up from these hotels by jeep for visits to Ranthambore.
- Ankur Resort, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 40 cottages and 20 rooms. Popular with tour groups. ₹1,600.
- Green Valley Ranthambore, Ranthambore Road, ☎ . Cheaper rates can usually be found online, making this one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Single: ₹2,000-2,500; Double: ₹2,500-3,000.
- Hammir Wild Life Resort, Ranthambore Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Basic hotel. Double: ₹1,800-3,500.
- RTDC Hotel Vinayak, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Operated by the Rajasthani government. Basic but well-priced hotel. Single: ₹1,600 in offseason, ₹2,300 in high season; Double: ₹2,600 in offseason, ₹2,990 in high season.
- Jhoomar Baori Castle, Ranthambhore Road, e-mail: email@example.com. Former summer rest house of Jaipur rulers. Operated by the Rajasthani government. From ₹3,600.
- [dead link] Jungle Niwas, Village Sherpur, Khiljipur, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxury tents. Off the beaten path and a bit harder to find. Single: ₹6,700; Double: ₹7,700.
- [dead link] Mountain View, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Swimming pool. Friendly staff. Single: ₹3,300-4,300; Double: ₹3,500-4,500, breakfast included.
- Pugmark Resort, Village Khilchipur Ranthambhore (Next to the Nahargarh Ranthambhore), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nice setting with a pool, but the rooms are dated. Single: ₹7,500; Double: ₹8,500.
- Raj Palace Ranthambore, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Swimming pool. ₹3,000.
- Ranthambore Forest Resort, Ranthambhore Road (Near Vivekanandapuram Colony), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Friendly and welcoming; good Indian food in the restaurant. ₹7,800.
- [dead link] Ranthambore Haveli, Ranthambore Road (Opposite FCI Godown), ☎ . Built to resemble an old hunting lodge.
- Ranthambhore Regency, Ranthambore Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Great rooms, décor, food, and service. Single: ₹6,500; Double: ₹7,500.
- Aman-i-Khas, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxurious tents, with a private butler to assist you. Very expensive. From ₹60,000.
- Anuraga Palace, A Treehouse Palace Hotel, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily music and dancing. Great service. From ₹11,500.
- Nahargarh Ranthambhore, Village Khilchipur, Ranthambhore Road (Just northeast of Sawai Modhopur, 8km west from Ranthambore), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Single: ₹9,300-13,300; Double: ₹10,800-18,000.
- Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore Road. 25 tents with tiger motifs. From ₹38,500.
- Sher Bagh Resort, e-mail: email@example.com. Luxurious tented camp designed to mirror the experiences that 19th century princes had while on safari. From ₹36,000.
- Vivanta By Taj Sawai Madhopur, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Originally built in the 1920's as a hunting lodge for the Maharaja of Jaipur. Art deco style. 12 acres of gardens.
Almost every hotel in Sawai Madhopur offers free WiFi access.