Schiedam is a city and municipality in the province of South-Holland in the Netherlands and is part of the Rotterdam metropolitan area. The city is best known for Jenever (gin), its historical centre and the tallest old windmills in the world.
The nearest airport is Rotterdam The Hague Airport with flights from selected cities in Europe. See the Rotterdam page. Public transport to Schiedam requires 50 minutes of travel time.
Bus 33 runs frequently to Rotterdam Centraal Station (in about 25 minutes), change there for tram line 21 or 24 (see below). Or take the same line 33 to metro station Meijersplein where you can transfer to metro line E to Slinge, change at Beurs for lines A or B to Schiedam Centrum, or line C to De Akkers. All these bus, tram and metro lines are operated by RET.
As it's only 10 km to the centre of Schiedam a taxi can be a good alternative.
If you arrive at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport you can take a direct intercity service to Schiedam Centrum operated by NS . One way ticket, 2nd class costs EUR 11,50.
Schiedam Centrum station is well served by national rail (Nederlandse Spoorwegen ), with direct connections to Delft, Den Haag, Leiden, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Dordrecht, Breda, Roosendaal, Middelburg and Vlissingen. For international trains arriving at Rotterdam Centraal Station, Schiedam Centrum is a 5 minute train ride from there.
Schiedam is served by the Rotterdam metro, operated by RET. Metro lines A & B from Rotterdam terminate at Schiedam Centrum station. Line C continues towards Spijkenisse (De Akkers station). Travel time from metro station Beurs to Schiedam Centrum 10 minutes.
From Rotterdam, tram lines 21 (to Schiedam Woudhoek) and 24 (to Vlaardingen Holy) offer a frequent service to Schiedam. For the city centre use either Koemarkt or Broersvest tram stop, travel time from Rotterdam Centraal approximately 20 minutes.
Schiedam can be reached via the A4 and A20. Any exit (Schiedam-Noord and Schiedam-Centrum on the A20 and Schiedam-West on the A4 near the Beneluxtunnel) will take you to the city center (follow Centrum). Near the center a P-route is signed which will guide you along parking locations. The parking garages are cheaper then on-street parking. All meters accept debit and credit cards. Also watch for signs vergunninghouders where parking is only allowed for permit holders.
Eurolines links Rotterdam with various cities of Europe. The Eurolines buses arrive in front of Rotterdam Centraal Station; from there it's a 5 minute train ride to Schiedam Centrum, or take tram line 21 or 24.
Watertaxi Rotterdam has a landing stage at the Voorhaven. The city centre is a 15 minute walk through De Plantage, the oldest city park in The Netherlands. Follow the pedestrian way finding signs to Binnenstad.
The best way to explore the historic city centre is by foot. Museums, monumental buildings, windmills, restaurants and shops are all well within walking distance of each other. Within the city centre there are plenty of pedestrian wayfinding signs. For the historic centre, follow Binnenstad (literally "Inner City"). For the tourist office follow VVV.
Like any city in The Netherlands, Schiedam is a very bicycle-friendly. Getting around by bike is probably the fastest way of travel within the city. There are separate bike lanes on most major streets. Avoid getting your tire in the tram rails. Always cross tram rails at an angle. Always lock your bike securely when leaving it, preferably chained to a fixed object.
Free, guarded bicycle parking is available at Koemarkt and at Stadserf.
The tourist information office (VVV) has some bicycles and e-bikes for rent. Reservation is strongly recommended, call 010-473 30 00 or e-mail email@example.com
Schiedam Centrum station has a guarded bicycle parking and also offers bicycle rental services.
Although the historic city centre of Schiedam can be easily explored on foot, there is a good public transport service if you want to discover surrounding neighborhoods (or maybe your feet are a bit tired from the sightseeing). All metro and tram lines, and most of the bus lines are operated by RET. You need a OV-chipkaart to travel. The Strippenkaart is no longer valid.
Schiedam Centrum station is the terminus for metro lines A and B from Rotterdam. Metro line C continues along the western border of the historic centre towards Spijkenisse De Akkers station. From Schiedam Centrum it's a 5 minute walk to the heart of the centre. Alternatively, Parkweg station brings you within 300 meter walking distance of three of the largest windmills of the world.
RET operates tram lines 21 and 24 which share tracks in the city centre (and to Rotterdam). With a frequent service (15 minute intervals on each line), this gives you 7,5 minute intervals on the main section. Both lines connect to Schiedam Centrum station (train and metro) and Schiedam Nieuwland station (metro from february 2018). Note that due to budget cuts, line 21 operates only till around 19:00h, reducing the interval to 15 minutes on the main section. Further note that line 23 no longer serves Schiedam.
This small town was built around a few nice canals, which are worth seeing as they are.
- 1 Old City Hall (Het oude stadhuis), Grote Markt 1. Originally built in the 16th century. It contains late gothic and renaissance elements. The staired plateau was added in 1717/18. The town hall is now only used for performing weddings, meetings and representative purposes.
- 2 The Wheat Exchange (De Korenbeurs), Lange Haven 145. Sa & Su 10:00-22:00. The Korenbeurs was built by Giudici and modified by Schiedam architect Rutger van Bol‘Es (1787–1792). Malt spirit, alcohol and grain was traded here.
- 3 The Porters' Guild House (Zakkendragershuisje), Oude Sluis 19. This is a square-formed building with a zakkendrager (sack carrier) as wind vane. It was built in 1725 and used to be the guild house of the Zakkendragersgilde (Sack Carrier’s Guild). The building has a clock-faced tower and the clock bell tolled to signal the arrival of a ship, after which the sack carriers would make their way to the Guild House. The building is not accessible to the general public.
- 4 Church of Saint John (Grote- of St. Janskerk), Lange Kerkstraat 37. This triple naved hall church was built around 1335 on a spot where earlier in 1262 a small church had stood. The interior includes an early renaissance organ case (approx. 1550), a wood carved pulpit (approx. 1600) and a baptising screen with copper arch and alderman’s and mayor’s bench. The church has five stained glass windows by Marius Richters (1952). The vestry has golden leather wallpaper and a fresco. The building began in 1262 and was completed around 1500. The church contains the grave of the holy Liduina.
- 5 Huis te Riviere. Castle built in 1262.
- 6 Saint Lidwina Basilica (St. Liduinabasiliek), Singel 104, ☎ . Every Saturday in April–October 13.00-15.00. The Liduina Basilique was designed by architect E.J. Margry and was built between 1878 and 1881. In 1990 the church was turned into a basilica and restoration was started in 1994.
- 7 Het Proveniershuis, Overschiesestraat 3. Former home for leprosy patients, it was thereafter used to accommodate elderly middle-class people, who could pay a sum for accommodation and care. The courtyard now consists of almshouses for single or double occupancy.
Windmills of Schiedam are said to be the tallest traditional windmills in the world. There are six historic windmills in the centre.
- 8 De Drie Koornbloemen. The oldest windmill (1770) still existing in Schiedam.
- 9 Museummolen De Nieuwe Palmboom, Noordvest 34. Easter - 31 October: Tu-Sa 11.30-17.00, Su and holidays: 12.30 17.00. 1 nov to Easter: only on Sa, Su and holidays. Closed on 1st January, 30th April and 25th en 26th December.. Heavily damaged by fire in 1901, restored between 1991–1993. The museum part shows you how grain is processed to jenever and let you learn more about the history of the mills in Schiedam. Adults € 3,50, children (up to 18 years of age) € 2,50. Dutch Museum Pass and Rotterdam pass holders free entrance. Combination tickets for Jenever museum and Canal cruise available..
- 10 De Vrijheid. Built in 1785
- 11 De Walvisch. Built in 1794, restored after a devastating fire in 1996.
- 12 De Noord. Built in 1803. With a height of 33.3 metros the tallest windmill in the world. In use as a restaurant.
- 13 De Kameel. Built in 2011, rebuilt from the original mill from 1715, which stood a few metres from the current windmill.
Outside the old city centre
- 14 De Nolet. Built in 2006 by the Nolet Distillery. It is a wind turbine which resembles a traditional windmill. It has a tower height of 43 meters and a gross height of 55 meters including the rotor tips.
- 15 Babbersmolen, Vijfsluizen 2a. Windpump built in 1710. Restored in 2012.
- 16 Stedelijk Museum Schiedam, Hoogstraat 112-114, ☎ . Tu-Su: 10:00 - 17:00; closed on Monday, 25 December and New Year's day. In early 2006 the Stedelijk Museum in Schiedam reopened its doors inside the former Sint-Jacobs hospital. One of the town’s finest listed monuments, its full restoration took more than two years. Spread over 12 rooms, the museum has been housing Dutch fine arts since 1945. Pride of place among the exhibits goes to the extensive CoBrA collection of over 250 works. The museum organises a host of activities and exhibitions for young and old. It also has its own café and shop. € 7,50; Free Admission: Children up to and including 12 yrs, OntdekSchiedam.nu pass, RotterdamPAS, Museumkaart.
- 17 Jenevermuseum Schiedam, Lange Haven 74-76. Tu-Fr 12:00 - 17:00; Sa+Su 11:00-18:00. Closed on 25, 26, 31 December, 1 January, Easter, Kings Day and Pentecost.. Jenevermuseum Schiedam is located on one of central Schiedam‘s most evocative canalside streets. The museum tantalises visitors by recounting the fruity tale of the Netherlands‘ national tipple and other spirits from both inside and outside the country. The Jenevermuseum Schiedam is no ordinary museum: it offers a sensory experience in which visitors, on their own or in the capable hands of a guide, get to smell, hear, see, touch and of course, taste all aspects of the distiller‘s world. Adults: € 9,00; 13-17 years € 5,00; 65 years and older: € 4,50; Free: OntdekSchiedam.nu pass, RotterdamPAS, Museumkaart.
- 18 Nationaal Coöperatie Museum, Lange Haven 84. We-Fr 13:00-17.00; Sa 11.00-17.00. The entrance to the National Co-operative Museum looks exactly like an original local ‘shop on the corner‘ with all kinds of sweets from a bygone age. At the back of the shop there is a small living room accurately depicting how workers lived in around 1920. The top floors of the museum are home to a wealth of information about the co-operative ideal. The archives are still added to regularly though private donations. The museum‘s volunteers are happy to take visitors on guided tours and explain the old product packaging, works of art, black and white photos and utensils displayed in the exhibition. Free.
- 19 Museummolen De Nieuwe Palmboom, Noordvest 34. Easter - 31 October: Tu-Sa 11.30-17.00, Su and holidays: 12.30 17.00. 1 nov to Easter: only on Sa, Su and holidays. Closed on 1st January, 30th April and 25th en 26th December.. As you stroll around inside De Nieuwe Palmboom, you can hear the grinding noise from the working mill. The first three loft spaces are home to a museum. Young and old are primed with more evocative details about the history of the mills in Schiedam and the grinding process itself. In the loft spaces higher up, visitors can see town miller Cock den Uyl at work. He is there every day, grinding out produce for bakeries and distilleries. The mill also provides the starting point and pay point for the silent boat, with an attractive combination ticket for both mill and boat also available. Adults € 3,50, children (up to 18 years of age) € 2,50. Dutch Museum Pass and Rotterdam pass holders free entrance. Combination tickets for Jenever museum and Canal cruise available..
- 20 De Plantage, between Lange Nieuwstraat and Tuinlaan (From Koemarkt, cross the bridge (Koemarktbrug), the park is on the left). De Plantage was designed by Arij van Bol'es, a city architect from Schiedam and laid out in 1767. It is the oldest city park of The Netherlands. In the 19th century redone by Jan David Zocher a famous Dutch Landscape architect. free.
- Guided tour in a canal boat 
- De Brandersfeesten  (Late September) Annual festivities commemorating Jenever production in Schiedam.
- The National Windmill Days  (Nationale Molen- & Gemalen dag)
- 1 Borrelmuseum - ‘t Spul, Hoogstraat 92. We-Su 14.00-01.00, Fr+Sa 14:00-02.00. No visit to Schiedam is complete without sampling the drink that has made the town famous the world over: its local gin, or ‘jenever’. The Café Jeneverie ’t Spul stocks 400 different varieties. Differences between jenevers can be tasted by ordering a ‘triple hatch’ (three different shots of jenever) or in larger groups at a special jenever tasting. In the Borrelmuseum behind the tasting room, old adverts, photos, films and other artefacts tell the story of jenever’s illustrious past in the town. Bottles of anything sampled in the café can also be purchased afterwards from the adjoining off-license.
- De Beurs 
- Simpel  [dead link] As the name suggests, no hassle food in this cosy local restaurant. Try their original dish: "Pannetje".
- Zaalig  Food with Moroccan flavor.
- Listen to Jazz on Saturday evening (starting 21:00, €5) in Jazz uit de Koffer [dead link]
- Bed & Breakfast Lange Haven, Lange Haven 59 (historic city centre), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 apartment B&B with private entrance located at the historic harbour in the city centre. 1 person €40, 2 persons €70.
- Bed & Breakfast Elselina, Willemskade 26, ☎ . A Bed & Breakfast in a boat in one of the Schiedam canals.
- Novotel Rotterdam - Schiedam, Hargalaan 2 (Train, tram line 21, 23: station Schiedam Nieuwland), ☎ .
You should take normal precautions against pickpockets and baggage theft, especially in the main shopping streets, at markets, in trams and trains, at stations, and anywhere where tourists congregate.
- Delft — old town famous for its Delftware ceramics
- Rotterdam — Europe's largest port, modern architecture and an impressive skyline