Many residents commute to Toronto for work on a daily basis. The anchor and largest population base of the township is Port Perry.
When Lake Scugog was created by a dam in Lindsay in 1834, flooding created an island known as Scugog Island. The island was separated from Reach and Cartwright townships to form Scugog Township in 1856. In 1872 George Currie built a grain elevator which is now Canada's oldest grain elevator. The new township was part of Ontario County.
The name Scugog is derived from the Mississauga word sigaog, which means "waves leap over a canoe". This refers to the creation of Lake Scugog. Other sources indicate that it is a native word meaning swampy or marshy land.
Mississaugas of Scugog First Nations
Scugog First Nations Reserves consists of two tracts, east of Mississauga's Trail between Hood Drive and Pogue Road, and west of Mississauga's Trail from Pogue Road to Seven Mile Island Road/Chandler Drive.
Great Blue Heron Casino is located on the reserve. It is the largest private-sector employer in the area
There are two airports in Scugog, both are public airfields used by small propeller aircraft:
- Greenbank Airport
- Port Perry/Hoskin Aerodrome
Main roads in Scugog are:
- Simcoe Street (Durham Regional Road 2) – connect communities north and south from Port Perry
- Highway 7/Highway 12 – connects communities south and north of Greenbank, as well as to Oshawa
- Highway 7A – connects communities east and west of Port Perry
- Island Road (Durham Regional Road 7) – north and south areas on the west side of Scugog Island
- Ocala Winery, 971 High Point Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Jan Feb: closed (appointment only); Mar–Jun Nov-Dec: F-Su 10AM–5PM (closed some statutory holidays); July 1-Oct 31: M-Sa 10AM–5PM, Su noon–5PM. The winery is housed within a turn of the century board and beam dairy barn. Ocala’s orchards and vineyards overlook a sprawling valley which leads to the town of Port Perry on the shores of Lake Scugog.
- Scugog Shores Museum Village, 16210 Island Rd, Port Perry. June-Aug: daily 10AM-4PM for guided tours. Shows what daily life was like in Scugog from the mid to late 1800s. Artifacts related to the cultural and natural history of the Township of Scugog area. The Village includes: 12 restored buildings; heritage flower, herb and vegetable gardens, Ojibway Heritage Interpretive Lands. Adults $5, students $4, seniors $2.75, children 5-12 $2, children 4 & under free..
- Nonquon Provincial Wildlife Area – 1,120-hectare (2,800 acre) protected area northwest of Port Perry and managed by Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Oakridges Moraine Trail – at south end of Scugog
- Great Blue Heron Casino, 21777 Island Rd, ☎ , toll-free: . Always open. 535 slot machines, 60 table games, $2,500 maximum betting limits, and a full service buffet.
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation Annual Pow Wow, Pow Wow Grounds, 22521 Island Rd, Port Perry (take Highway 7A East from Port Perry, going across the causeway, turn left on Island Road, Pow Wow grounds will be on the right side (east side), 10 km along Island Rd. (1 km past Great Blue Heron Casino)), ☎ (ext. 221), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Third weekend in July. No alcohol, no drugs, no dogs or other pets. Adults $5, ages 3-11 or 65+ $2.
- The Piano Cafe, 217 Queen St, Port Perry (in the Piano Inn), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-SA 11AM-4PM, Sa Su 11AM-5PM, closed holidays. This historical space is true to form of what the building looked like in the late 1800s. The Piano Cafe offers coffees, and lunches, and features a rotating art gallery displaying the works of local and regional artists. Gluten-free choices.
- Pickles & Olives Bistro, 110 Water Street, Port Perry, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu W 11AM-9PM, Th F 11AM-9:30PM, Sa 11:30AM-9:30PM. Italian. Pizza $12.50-16.00, sandwiches $10-11, mains $19-23.
- Marwans Global Bistro, ☎ . Tu-Th Su 11AM-8PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM. A world traveller presents dishes from around the world and his travel photography. Steaks, curries, pastas, quinoa bowls, and vegan and vegetarian options. Paninis, wraps, crepes $13-16; dinner $15-41.
- Jester Court, 279 Queen Street, Port Perry, ☎ . Winter: Su noon-10PM, M-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-11:30PM; Summer: Su-Th 11:30AM-11PM, F Sa 11:30AM-midnight. Burgers, sandwiches, steaks and other pub food.
- Heath Haven B&B, 88 Heath Cres, Port Perry, ☎ , e-mail: HeathHaven@powergate.ca. A sunroom overlooking the gardens, waterfall and pool, central air conditioning for your enjoyment and comfort, a smoke-free environment, high speed wireless internet, laundry facilities. From $117.
- Bed & Breakfast At The Ranch (at the Island Road turn off to the Great Blue Heron Casino), ☎ . A relaxing and authentic stay at a rustic, fully functioning horse ranch in the quiet, rolling pasture hills 0.8 km from the town of Port Perry. Unobstructed 30-km view and a “chuckwagon breakfast buffet”. $113-125.
- Coach House Gallery B&B, 425 Lakeshore Drive Port Perry, ☎ . On Lake Scugog, in a custom-built home owned by an artist with central air conditioning. Original water color paintings decorate each room and common areas. Cable TV in the common room, gym equipment, fireplace & library, access to lake and a lakeside terrace, a 15-minute walk to Port Perry, and a golf course at the end of the street. From $90 single, $100 double.
|Routes through Scugog|
|Markham ← Whitby ←||W E||→ Brock → Peterborough|
|Orillia ← Brock ←||N S||→ Whitby → ENDS|