Serekunda is the largest city in the Gambia.
Serekunda (or Serrekunda, proper: Sere Kunda) is with a population of 340,000 the largest urban area in the Gambia. But more than that the 10 km stretch between Bakau, Fajara and Koto and Kololi (all suburbs of Serekunda) is the beating heart of the tourism in Gambia. Hotels, guest-houses, bars and even clubs can all be found in those unreal African towns along the Atlantic coast.
Serekunda itself is one huge chaotic market, famous for its silk cotton tree and its wrestling arena.
- 1 Kololi Beach. Most people refer to it as the Senegambia as the same named hotel is lcoated there.
- 2 Kotu Beach. A little north of the Kololi beach.
- 3 Bakau Beach. In the very north.
There are numerous beach resorts dotted along the coast, often frequented by charter tourists.
- Sarawally Guest House, F Section Ampaya Serrekunda (close too Kairaba Road), ☏ . single/double room with shard bathroom. free wifi. free breakfast. from D750.
- 1 Mama's Restaurant and Guesthouse, Garba Jahumpa Rd, ☏ . Double rooms with ensuite bathroom and a balcony for 800 GD including breakfast look like a very good deal. 14€.
- Ymca Hostel & Backpackers, Kanlfing south mdI road Serrekuna, ☏ . Clean room with shared bathroom. Has 34 rooms. 400 GMD.