Serekunda is the largest city in the Gambia.
Serekunda (or Serrekunda, proper: Sere Kunda) is with a population of 340,000 the largest urban area in the Gambia. But more than that the 10 km stretch between Bakau, Fajara and Koto and Kololi (all suburbs of Serekunda) is the beating heart of the tourism in Gambia. Hotels, guest-houses, bars and even clubs can all be found in those unreal African towns along the Atlantic coast.
Serekunda itself is one huge chaotic market, famous for its silk cotton tree and its wrestling arena.
- 1 Kololi Beach. Most people refer to it as the Senegambia as the same named hotel is lcoated there.
- 2 Kotu Beach. A little north of the Kololi beach.
- 3 Bakau Beach. In the very north.
There are numerous beach resorts dotted along the coast, often frequented by charter tourists.
- 1 Badala Park Hotel, ☏ . Cheaper, inland hotel.
- 2 Mama's Restaurant and Guesthouse, Garba Jahumpa Rd, ☏ . Double rooms with ensuite bathroom and a balcony for 800 GD including breakfast look like a very good deal. 14€.