Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Serres region is in Central Macedonia.
- 1 Lake Kerkini. Scenic lake, with many viewing points, especially around the western shoreline. A visitor centre is in the village of Kerkini, away from the lake itself, but well worth visiting for free maps and orientation. Staff speak English. For birdwatchers, this is a must-see location. Take a boat from the jetty near Kerkini to see pelicans (two species), flamingoes and many other species, in vast numbers, and at close quarters. Price (as of 2018) €7-10 per head, for 60-90 minutes, for groups.
- 2 Cave Alistrati (6 km southwest of the town of Alistrati). One of the largest caves in Europe. The corridors have visited length of 3 km.
- 3 Gorge Aggitis. A few meters away from the railway line that passes near the Alistrati Cave, or Gorge Aggitis the Vraous as the locals say, on the east side of the prefecture of Serres, with a length of 15 km, between the mountains and Paggaio Menoikio (17 km from the city of Drama) and extends from the village contribution (Dam) to Angistas Station. In three points of the canyon, rock paintings have been found depicting camels, deer, horsemen who hold the reins of horses and spears, and abstract designs. These paintings are estimated to date from the Bronze Age. Rich is the flora and fauna of the area, and over the centuries have created several caves and arches along the ravine. In recent years the river is home to sports like rafting, canoeing, kayaking etc.
- 4 Archaeological Museum of Amphipolis (600 meters north of the acropolis, right at the entrance to the modern village of Amfipoli.). One of the biggest museums in Macedonia.
- 5 Kasta tomb
- 6 Ascension Monastery on First
- 7 Monastery Ikosifinissa on Kormista
- 8 Lailias Ski Center
- 9 Fort Ruppel
- 10 Baths Nigritas
- 11 Leo on Amphipolis
- 12 Port Amphipolis
- 13 Monument slaughter Old Kerdyllia
- 14 Sidirokastro Baths
- Pangaion Hills
- Thessaloniki: The second largest city in Greece. Beautiful romantic city with many attractions and spectacular beach with beautiful White Tower.
- Drama: Second largest city of Eastern Macedonia. Every Christmas it has beautiful Oneiroupoli. Summer is the short film festival.
- Kavala: Big city with beautiful beaches and many attractions and sexy romantic city with views across the Thassos.
- Kilkis: Small town with 22,000 inhabitants, capital of the homonymous prefecture and municipality.