Shannon is 110km north of Wellington. Follow SH1 to Levin and the take SH57 to Shannon.
Intercity buses call at Shannon from Auckland, Wellington, Napier, Gisborne, Tauranga and New Plymouth. The bus stop for north bound buses is the bus shelter at 6 Ballance Street, and for south bound buses it is outside toilets at 7 Ballance Street.
Kiwirail runs a train once per day Monday to Friday (not holidays) from Wellington departing at 5:15pm, calling at Paraparaumu and Levin, arriving at Shannon at 6:57pm, and continuing to Palmerston North. The morning service to Wellington leaves Shannon at 6:38am.
- 1 Shannon railway station.
By car or on foot
- 1 Mangahao Hydroelectric Power Station and dams. An operational power station, built between 1919 and 1924.
- Poutu Marae.
- 2 Shannon Railway Station. The station was built in 1893, with extension in 1902, 1910 and 1936. For the expert it is a Modified Vogel class 4 station.
- Go kayaking at the Mangahao White Water Park 300m slalom course.
- Visit the Mangahao dams by trail bike.
- 1 Buckley Golf Club.
- Take a break from driving and have lunch or a snack at the local cafe or tea rooms.
- Club Hotel, Ballance St.
- 1 Club Hotel, 2 Ballance St, ☏ . Budget accommodation.