- General Luna
Siargao is a beautiful paradise island with nice beaches and clear blue waters. It's a quiet non-tourist island well known for its surf spots (beginner and advanced), especially the Cloud 9 break where there`s a big international surf contest every year.
Siargao is known for its relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and inexpensive accommodation.
There are direct flights to Siargao Island from Cebu four times a week, Mon.Wed,Fri,Sun. the Carrier is Cebu-Pacific. Prices for flights seem to vary, but expect to pay approx. $US50 one way. Flight time is approximately 45 minutes. Airport is approximately 45 minutes from the main accommodation areas at Cloud 9. Usually there are plenty of vans to transport people to their accommodation...price is not fixed, whatever you can bargain the driver down to...they have to return to the Cloud 9 area anyway.
- The ferries from Surigao City to Dapa (main port town on Siargao Island) leave at approx. 6am, 11.30am and 12 noon. Travel time varies between 2+ hours to almost 4 hours, depending on the ferry. Fares for the ferries are P 220/270 (non-air con/air con) per way.
- Tricycles, vans and habal-habals (local form of transport=motorbikes designed for carrying passengers) wait at the pier to transport people to the main tourist/accommodation areas at Cloud 9.
- Montenegro shipping lines. phone 086-2316245. has a RoRo ferry from Surigao city to Dapa. the trip takes four hours and the fare is from 220.
- As always, flight times and ferry schedules may change without notice. The above details are current as at July, 2016.
For the non-surf people, you can explore the island by motorbike or boat. You can go island jumping, scuba diving and snorkeling. And there's also many caves and waterfalls to explore.
- Sohoton Caves, Bocas Grande (1.5-2 hour boat ride from Gen Luna). Sohoton Lagoon and Caves is a 600+ hectare Eco-reserve situated in the isolated south of Bocas Grande island. Accessible only on lower tides, this pristine sanctuary offers a grand experience. The trip is conducted by boat and is required most of the day. 500 entrance.
- [dead link]Driftwood Watersports, Cloud 9 Rd, Brgy 5 (1km toward Cloud 9 from GL (on the left)), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The largest surf shop on the island. Driftwood offers new/used/rental surf boards and SUPs, apparel, and surf accessories. Driftwood also provides accommodations, airport/ferry transportation and water transportation and activities.
- [dead link]Driftrwood Cafe, Cloud 9 Rd, Brgy 5 (1km toward cloud 9 on the main road.), ☎ . 7am-8pm. Driftwood Cafe (http://www.surfdriftwood.com [dead link]) is located adjacent to Driftwood Watersports (surf shop). Driftwood has excellent food and coffee. Some sample menu prices: Hamburger p100, Banana Shake, p70, Double Kill Fried Chicken p120, Latte p60.
If you want to hang out at night, catch a beer and some food, enjoy good music and meet new people, "Nine bar" is the place to be. "Nine bar" is located outside the small town of General Luna. It is owned by two Swedish surfers.
Look for accommodation around General Luna ("GL") or Cloud 9, where there's a number of places by the beach. GL is the main village near some of the main surf spots, a 5-minute drive (30 pesos/per person) from Cloud 9. Cloud 9 itself has places to eat (more limited) and is walking distance from the pro and beginner surf spot. Food here is more expensive, but accommodation is still cheap.
In Siargao, accommodations in the "budget" category cost under ₱700 per room per night.
- Happy Gecko Siargao Backpackers Hostel., Cloud 9 Boardwalk, ☎ . dorm bed 250 per person..
- Wayfarers Cloud 9 Restaurant & Residences, Cloud 9, ☎ . fan double rooms with own bathrooms. from 650.
- Paglaom Hostel. phone 09999900308. dorm bed 250.
- Hangout Siargao. phone 09276116117. dorm bed 250.
- Ocean 101 Beach Resort. north of cloud nine. phone 09108480893. fan room from 500.
- Vila Solaria. south of cloud nine. phone 09204077730. dorm bed 300.
- Siargao Surfer's Lodge. phone 09283747447. dorm bed 250.
- Siargao Surf Resort, Catangnan (Located between the busy Cloud 9 and the town of General Luna), e-mail: email@example.com. Set in the heart of the Siargao Island Surf community. from 2500.
Violent crime is non-existent on the island, but like all poor areas, petty theft is not uncommon. There are no regional issues with insurgents etc and visitors can wander freely anywhere on the island. The primary safety concern is infection from cuts and scrapes on reefs. Thus, it is recommended to wear reef booties (locally available) and disinfect and cover (gauze) any wounds immediately.