Siargao is a beautiful paradise island with nice beaches and clear blue waters. It has now become quite a popular tourist spot with multiple flights from Manila and Cebu coming in every day. The island is well known for its surf spots (beginner and advanced), especially the Cloud 9 break where there's a big international surf contest every year.
Siargao is known for its relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and many surfer shops. Prices have increased during the last few years as more and more visitors take the trip to the island.
- 1 Sayak Airport (IAO IATA). The island's main and only airport in the town of Del Carmen. Its only runway was able to accommodate 19-seater jets, but has since been expanded to allow flights using larger planes.
The airport is approximately 45 minutes from the main accommodation areas at Cloud 9. Usually there are plenty of vans to transport people to their accommodation. The price is not fixed, whatever you can bargain the driver down to: they have to return to the Cloud 9 area anyway.
Cebgo has non-stop flights from Cebu four times a week, and from Manila. Prices for flights seem to vary, but expect to pay approximately ₱1500 one-way from Cebu (₱4600 from Manila). Flight time is approximately a hour from Cebu, and 2½ hours from Manila.
PAL Express has flights from Cebu and Davao. The price is approximately ₱2000 from Cebu and ₱2900 from Davao. A flight takes about a hour from either point.
SkyJet has no flights as of 2019, after a bird strike involving their aircraft.
- The ferries from Surigao City to Dapa (main port town on Siargao Island) leave at approx. 6AM, 11:30AM and noon. Travel time varies from 2 hours to almost 4 hours, depending on the ferry. Fares for the ferries are ₱220/₱270 (non-air con/air con) per way.
- Tricycles, vans and habal-habals (motorbikes used as taxis) wait at the pier to transport people to the main tourist/accommodation areas at Cloud 9.
- Montenegro shipping lines. +63 86-2316245. has a RoRo ferry from Surigao city to Dapa. The trip takes four hours and the fare is from ₱220.
As always, flight times and ferry schedules may change without notice. The above details are current July 2016.
For the non-surf people, you can explore the island by motorbike or boat. You can go island jumping, scuba diving and snorkeling. And there's also many caves and waterfalls to explore.
- Sohoton Caves, Bocas Grande (1½-2 hour boat ride from Gen Luna). Sohoton Lagoon and Caves is a more than 600 hectare Eco-reserve situated in the isolated south of Bocas Grande island. Accessible only on lower tides, this pristine sanctuary offers a grand experience. The trip is conducted by boat and is required most of the day. ₱500.
- [dead link] Driftwood Watersports, Cloud 9 Rd, Brgy 5 (1 km toward Cloud 9 from GL (on the left)), ☏ , email@example.com. The largest surf shop on the island. Driftwood offers new/used/rental surf boards and SUPs, apparel, and surf accessories. Driftwood also provides accommodations, airport/ferry transportation and water transportation and activities.
- [dead link] Driftrwood Cafe, Cloud 9 Rd, Brgy 5 (1 km toward Cloud 9 on the main road.), ☏ . 7AM-8PM. Driftwood Cafe is located adjacent to Driftwood Watersports (surf shop). Driftwood has excellent food and coffee. Some sample menu prices: Hamburger ₱100, Banana Shake, ₱70, Double Kill Fried Chicken ₱120, Latte ₱60.
If you want to hang out at night, catch a beer and some food, enjoy good music and meet new people, "Nine bar" is the place to be. "Nine bar" is located outside the small town of General Luna. It is owned by two Swedish surfers.
Look for accommodation around General Luna ("GL") or Cloud 9, where there's a number of places by the beach. GL is the main village near some of the main surf spots, a 5-minute drive (₱30 per person) from Cloud 9. Cloud 9 has places to eat (more limited) and is walking distance from the pro and beginner surf spot. Food here is more expensive, but accommodation is still cheap.
In Siargao, accommodations in the "budget" category cost under ₱700 per room per night.
- Happy Gecko Siargao Backpackers Hostel., Cloud 9 Boardwalk, ☏ . Dorm bed ₱250 per person..
- Wayfarers Cloud 9 Restaurant & Residences, Cloud 9, ☏ . Fan double rooms with own bathrooms. From ₱650.
- Paglaom Hostel. +63 9999900308. Dorm bed ₱250.
- Hangout Siargao. +63 9276116117. dorm bed ₱250.
- Ocean 101 Beach Resort. North of Cloud Nine. +63 9108480893. Fan room from +63 500.
- Vila Solaria. South of Cloud Nine. +63 9204077730. Dorm bed 300.
- Siargao Surfer's Lodge. +63 9283747447. Dorm bed ₱250.
- Siargao Surf Resort, Catangnan (Located between the busy Cloud 9 and the town of General Luna), firstname.lastname@example.org. Set in the heart of the Siargao Island Surf community. From ₱2500.
Violent crime is very rare on the island, but like all poor areas, petty theft is not uncommon. There are no regional issues with insurgents etc and visitors can wander freely anywhere on the island. The primary safety concern is infection from cuts and scrapes on reefs. Thus, it is recommended to wear reef booties (locally available) and disinfect and cover (gauze) any wounds immediately.