Skellefteå, called Skellefte by locals, is a town in Västerbotten County, Sweden, at the Baltic Sea, with around 33,000 inhabitants. Skellefteå municipality, Skellefteå kommun, has 72,000 inhabitants in total.
- Skellefteå itself
- Skelleftehamn, the harbour of Skellefteå
- Boliden, known for its gold mine
- Burträsk, known for Västerbotten Cheese
Skellefteå is built on natural resources; gold and other metals from the mine at Boliden, forestry, and hydroelectric power.
Serving the city is Skellefteå Airport, which is a hub for charter flights in Norrland. Regular services are avalible daily to Stockholm-Arlanda by SAS and, a bit surprisingly, to Girona (low cost airport near Barcelona) by RyanAir.
The airport shuttlebus to Skellefteå cost 80 SEK each way. From the city it departs a centain time before take-off. E.g., from Stadshotellet (City Hall) it is 65 minutes.
Arriving by train is not possible, in fact Skellefteå is the largest city in Sweden without passenger traffic. Most convenient is to hop on night trains to either Umeå or the small town of Jörn where connecting buses will take you to city center.
Long-distance buses is a cheap alternative and runs daily towards Stockholm or further north in Norrland.
European route E4 runs along the coast.
- The Church Town. The Church Town consisting of 116 wooden cottages was historically for families that had to travel a long way to attend Sunday masses at the city church.
- Nordanå, Ernst Westerlunds allé, ☎ . Scenic culture and open-air recreation area near the centre of Skellefteå. free entrance.
- Skellefteå Museum (At Nordanå), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu 10:00-19:00, We-Su 10:00-16:00.
Nygatan is the pedestrian shopping street.
- Nygatan 57, Nygatan 57, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mo-Fr 11.00-13.30, Mo-Sa 17.00-. Nice restaurant with a rooftop terrace. SEK 130.
- Bryggargatan Restaurant & Bistro, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th: 17:00-23:00, Fr-Sa: 17:00-24:00. SEK 850 for the six course menu.
- Olanders Cafe, Nygatan 63., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mo-Sa: 11.30-16:00. Traditional Swedish food with locally produced ingredients. SEK 125.
- Bishops Arms, Torget 6, ☎ . Mo 16:00-23:00, Tu-Th 16:00-01:00, Fr 15:00-02:00, Sa 12:00-02:00, Su 15:00-22:00. has a good selection of beers
- Hotell Aurum, Gymnasievägen 12, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scandic Hotel Skellefteå, Kanalgatan 75, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Brunnsgården, Kyrkstadsvägen 16, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed&Breakfast next to Bonnstan and the river within walking distance from town SEK 775 for a double room.
- Stadshotell, Stationsgatan 8, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
|Routes through Skellefteå|
|Stockholm ← Umeå ←||W E||→ Piteå → Haparanda|