Slavonice is a small (roughly 2500 inhabitants) historic town in South Bohemia, near the border with Austria. Because of its well-preserved renaissance centre, it is called "smaller Telč". Slavonice is a charming town and definitely an off-the-beaten-path destination.
Slavonice used to be on main trading route from Bohemia to Austria. Most of the buildings in the historic centre are from this era. Then, merchants started to use different routes and Slavonice "fell by the wayside". Thanks in part to that, the historic centre is well-preserved. Before the Second World War the majority of the inhabitants of the town was ethnically German and mostly Lutheran.
Slavonice is located on the southern edge of the Czech Republic and it takes approximately 2h15min by car to get there from Prague.
By bus and train
Travelling by public transport is complicated and long. A direct bus from Prague exists, but it makes rather frequent stops and thus takes roughly three hours to get there. From České Budějovice, it takes approximately 2h30min using public transportation and there is no direct connection . There is no train connection from Austria.
The whole place is rather small and you should have no major problems getting around on foot.
Historic centre comprises of more than 50 houses in gothic, renaissance and baroque style located on Peace Square, Upper Square and surrounding streets.
- 1 Peace Square. Heart of the town, most of historic houses are there.
- 2 Town tower, Horní náměstí 529, ☏ . Town tower 56 meters tall from early 16th century. Nice view of Slavonice and surrounding countryside. Adults 20Kč, children under 15 years old 10Kč.
- 3 Two town gates and remains of town walls. Two renaissance gates, Jilemnická and Dačická.
- 4 Historic underground, náměstí Míru 480, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. July and August 9:30-17:00, June and September possible, after arrangement. Not for claustrophobics!
- 5 House no. 480, náměstí Míru 480. House famous for so-called "diamond vault" and sgraffiti interior.
Outside of the centre
- 6 Slavonice WWII fortification complex, J. Žižky 4, ☏ . May, Jun, Sep: Sa, Su 10:00-17:00, Jul, Aug: daily 10:00-17:00, or by arrangement. Museum of defensive fortification line of Czechoslovakia constructed in 1935-1938.
- Part of 7 the fortification is restored and some of the bunkers are open for public (same times as the museum). The educational trail (2.9 km) can be accessed any time, also outside the opening hours.
- 1 Mariz Ceramics, Horní náměstí 532, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct: daily 9:00-19:00, Nov-Mar: Wed-Sun 9:00-18:00. Buy a ceramic cups and other products. You can take a course or just drop by and paint your own ceramic cup or decorate textiles (T-shirts, table cloths, bags, also own ones) with stencils.
- Another branch of 2 Maříž textile and ceramic workshps is located in Maříž village, just outside Slavonice. Jul, Aug: daily 10:00-18:00, May, Jun, Sep: Sa, Su 10:00-18:00.
- Slavonice Fest. Film and music festival held in August. Czech films are shown in original (some of them with English subtitles), foreign films in original with czech subtitles.
Great way of exploring Slavonice and around is cycling.
- 3 [dead link] Cyklo sport U Čápa (Bicycle shop, rental and workshop), Jana Žižky 51, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. daily 9:00-18:00. 30 Kč/hour or 250 Kč/day or 1300 Kč/week.
- 1 Flop Store, náměstí Míru 481, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7:00–18:00 daily. Small department store on the main square
- 2 COOP, Svatopluka Čecha 124, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Fri 6:30–18:00, Sat 6:30–11:30, Sun 7:30–11:30. Department store in front of bus station.
- 1 Besídka Restaurant, Horní náměstí 522, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Sun-Thu 9:00–23:00, Fri-Sat 9:00–1:00am. Part of hotel and very good restaurant with (family-)friendly atmosphere. International cuisine - pasta, pizza, french pancakes. Free wifi.
- 1 Cafe U Nás doma, náměstí Míru 465, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. daily 10:00–18:00. Café with small gallery. Good homemade deserts.
- 1 Besídka Hotel, Horní náměstí 522, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This design hotel with 8 unique rooms is another reason for a visit of Slavonice.
- 2 U Giordanů Pension, Horní nám. 517, ☏ . Pension in historic house with amazing Lutheran sgraffito. Free wi-fi.
- Nearby - in walking distance is, for example, pilgrimage church Montserrat, jewish cemetery in Dolní Bolíkov or Landštejn Castle.
- České Budějovice, Telč, Třebíč, Jindřichův Hradec and other destinations in South Bohemia and Bohemian-Moravian Highlands
- Lower Austria - borders are 1200 m from Slavonice.