Smolyan is a town in the Rhodope Mountains of Bulgaria. It occupies the narrow gorge of the Cherna River in the East Rhodope Mountains, and has 34 000 residents. Once the Slavs' tribe of smolyani inhabited the area and gave the name of the settlement. The magnificent nature, mild climate, its closeness to the mountain and the Pamporovo resort attract tourists all year round. It became a town in 1960 after unifying three villages- Smolyan, Raykovo and Ustovo.
Numerous houses and churches from 17th-19th centuries have been preserved up to the present day. Some of them are: "Pangalov’s house" (1860), "Sgurov’s house" (1866), "Alibeev’s town- hall" (1751), "Kelev’s house" (1860), etc.
The architectural and ethnographic reserve called Cheshitska mahala is located in the district of Raykovo.
- St. Visarion Smolenski. the second biggest bulgarian christian temple
- Stoyu Shishkov Regional History Museum, ☏ . Provides information about the history of the region.
- Town Art Gallery.
There is a planetarium and a Drama Theater
- Rhodope Drama Theater.
Every year you can to visit International ETHNO-JAZZ festival "JULY JAZZ Smolyan " - in JULY. The festival meeting different art and crafts. Famous artists, young musicians and interpreters come to Smolyan to join in the festival. Work-shops: music, theatre, drama, dance, painting, crafts and iconography. CHILD ART CAMP - "Work-shop for little 'big' people" started in 2008 and art and social platform for discussion for young people.
- Smolyan Hotel, 3, Bulgaria Bld, ☏ . 3-star hotel
- [dead link] Ribkata Hotel, 33, ul. "Aleko Konstantinov", ☏ . 3-star hotel
- KIPARIS ALPHA Hotel, 3A, "Bulgaria" Boulevard, ☏ , (Mobile phone).
- Sportna17 Hotel, 17 Sportna Street, ☏ , . Cheap accommodation in cozy rooms with private bathroom, TV, free parking and free Wi-Fi access.
- Hotel Complex Luxor, 51, Bulgaria Boulevard, ☏ , , .
- Spartak Hotel, 21, Spartak, ☏ . 14 rooms and 2 apartments equipped with heating system, TV with cable television, Internet access, telephone, balcony, hair-dryer.
- Kristal Hotel, ul. "Aleko Konstantinov" 5, ☏ , (Mobile phone).
- Eko Hotel Makrelov, 14, ул. Никола Филипов, ☏ , (Mobile phone). 23 double rooms, 1 Apartment and 1 V.I.P. Apartment. All equipped with real-time control access, WI-Fi Internet, SAT TV, terraces,.
- Uzunski Hotel, 12 Peyo Yavorov Str., ☏ .
- [dead link] Pearl lodge, ☏ . 5-star hotel
- Spa Hotel Dikas, 47 Parvi may Str, ☏ .
- [dead link] Dafi Hotel, 16, ul. "Bacho Kiro", ☏ , (Mobile phone).
- [dead link] Petko Takov's House, Momchil Junak (Ustovo neighbourhood), ☏ . 3-star hotel. 8 rooms
- Plaza Hotel , бул. България 69, ☏ , (Mobile phone), (Mobile phone).
- Smilen, 9 Shumkov Kamuk Str., ☏ . 3-star hotel. 16 double rooms and one apartment
- Moni Hotel, 6, ulitsa Perelik, ☏ , (Mobile phone), (Mobile phone). 67 rooms, 5 suites and 7 studios. All equipped with Satellite TV, wireless Internet, separate toilet and bathroom.
- 1 Mountain Lake Hotel, Smolyan Lake area, ☏ , (Mobile phone), (Mobile phone). Furnished apartments and studios equipped with satellite television, bathroom with shower, free wi-fi, mini-bar, telephone and hairdryer
Smolyan is a starting point for many mountain routes. The Smolyan lakes and the Smolyan waterfall are located not far from the town.