Solan town is a city in Himachal Pradesh.
Solan is 70 km from Chandigarh, 300 km from Delhi, and 45 km from Shimla, is easily approachable through road route by state transport buses or taxis (₹1000 from Chandigarh and 3500 from Delhi); is en-route Shimla on NH-22. Railroute: all trains from Kalka to Shimla stop over at Solan. Airport: Nearest airport is the Shimla Airport.
The star attraction for tourists is its three parks namely Jawahar Park, Children Park and Mohan Park. The 7000-foot high Koral cave and a variety of stone fruit are other attractions. The walks, roads and shopping joints of this city are beautiful. The fruits are cheap and fresh.
- 1 Children Park (Near I.T.I. Solan and Jawhar Park.).
- 2 Hari Mandir. A Lord Krishna temple.
- 3 Jatoli Temple (jal kund). about 7 km from D.C. office, this is the temple near Apple weldmesh industry. Major attraction on Rajgarh road
- 4 Jaunaji drive (Jaunaji Road).
- Karol ka Tibba.
- 5 Mohan Park.
- 6 Mohan Shakti National Heritage Park, Hart.
- 7 Shoolini Temple.
- Trek to Karol Tibba & Meteol Tibba. At 2237 metres "Karol Ka Tibba" is the highest point near Solan. A temple dedicated to Goddess Kali has been constructed on the hill top. The 5.6 kilometre (one way) moderate trek starts from Chambaghat and can be completed in 3 hours.
- Trek to Pandava Gufa. Locals believe it to be the oldest and longest (around 28km) cave in the Himalayan region. They also believe that the Pandavas from Mahabharata lived and meditated in this cave during their exile. Owing to this religious connection, a temple is constructed beside the cave. The other end of the cave is believed to be at Pinjore (Haryana).
- Prime Minister of India had laid the foundation stone of a ₹1 billion Heritage Park on being set up under the aegis of Mohan Meakin Breweries at Harat village, 14 km from Solan. It would become an important tourist attraction centre of this region in years to come. It will be an important world-level centre of naturopathy, religion, ayurveda and yoga, would be well-connected by a network of roads, which would also facilitate the locals in transporting their agriculture produce to markets.
- Walk on the mall road in the evening
Solan is renowned for its roasted corn, and is famous for its seasonal fruits and vegetables. The fresh cucumber is great and the fresh corn is the sweetest.
- Anupama (Mall Road, next to St Lukes School). Almost good. Multi-cuisine, also offers buffet lunch.
- Cafe 7 (At the city center plaza, near the high courts). A Multi-cuisine restaurant. A class apart from rest of the restaurants in Solan.
- Chanakya (Mall Road, next to Anand Complex Solan). Clean Hygienic Vegetarian food, Chinese, Sandwiches, Burgers, Pizzas, Indian Chats, fresh fruit juices, Ice-Creams. A quaint little haven, decorated in bamboo-wood-motifs-strawroof fervor. Makes for a good evening sit out and the music here is very fascinating. A must visit indeed.
- Himalayan Coffee House (Located on Mall road). It is one of the most oldest coffee house in Solan. A most favourite place for office goers for a cup of coffee/ tea along with some snacks. One can grab some nice South Indian preparations.
- Himani, Mall Road. Mid-range, multi-cuisine, bar and restaurant. Expensive compared to other in Solan; but preferred by the business traveller.
- Paragon (Mall Road). Check out the South-Indian cuisine, others too not quite bad.
Must haves.... solan chana, on the mall road, near old bus stand. Famous sweets on different sweet shops. Samosa at Rattanjee's mall road, burfi at Preemjee's old bus stand, Jalebi in upper bazar/chowk bazar (paddu Halwai), gulab jamun at Sharma Sweets near DC office.
- Anchor Bar (Adjacent to Cafe 7 at the city center plaza). A classy bar, an ideal hang-out spot. Tastefully done up interiors follow a unique, nautical theme.
- Green bar & restaurant. It is an old classic bar at old bus stand.
- 1 Ice-Spice (Near Chanakya on the Mall Road). Offers various Chinese food on the top floor along with bar in the middle.
- 2 Mohan Meakin Brewery. See if you could drink from the tap it's a feeling of mellow high straight and fresh--ask for permission though.
- Solan Brewery. It is known for its beer. Mohan Meakin is a large group of companies started with Asia's first brewery incorporated in 1855.
There are a large number of hotels offering accommodation facilities to visitors. For the high-end travelers, there are the luxury hotels and resorts of the town. Those who are concerned about rentals, the economy and budget hotels of Kasauli are the best bet. In case you want to get a taste of royalty, make sure to book a room at one of the heritage hotels in Kasauli.
- Lemon Tree Hotel, NH-21 A, Baddi-Nalagarh Highway (just off the Baddi-Nalagarh National Highway), ☎ . Set in the industrial town of Baddi
- Sadhu Pul is around 18-20 km from Solan. Beautiful water falls on the way and you reach a heavily flowing gorge good for fishing and swimming.
- Another few kilometers ahead there is a place called Chail, which has history of its own. Patial's king is known to have picked up the most beautiful girl of Shimla town from the Mall Road and that point is known as Scandal Point.
- You can visit Kasauli which is also an army base and a beautiful town known for its Snawar School.