South Caicos is located in the Caribbean.
South Caicos' 21.2 square kilometres (8.2 sq mi) is home to 1,100 residents. South Caicos is known for scuba diving and fishing.
Salt production started in the early 1700s and continued until the 1960s. This was done by pumping sea water into ponds and then transferring it as it evaporated down into smaller holding ponds from which it was eventually raked into a basket. Ruins of the industry can be seen.
The easiest way to get to South is flying with InterCaribbean from Providenciales.
Travelling between islands by boat is possible, but usually isn't very practical for tourists because there are limited scheduled trips. TCI Ferry sail from Providenciales to South Caicos once per week.
There is also a Dominican boat that makes regular trips between South and Puerto Plata, DR via Grand Turk. It is possible to hitch a ride for a fee, but it's not really a passenger boat. The journey is made about every 20 days and takes about 9 hours.
There is no public transport on South Caicos. There is a limited selection of rental cars and advance reservations are recommended. Bicycle rental is also available.
- 2 Harbour Adventures Rentals, ☏ . jeep and scooter rentals
- Seaview Rentals (Seaview Supermarket), ☏ . car rentals
- 3 Cham-b Bicycle reantals, ☏ . bicycles can be rented from the Cham-b grocery store
- 1 Cockburn Harbour. The largest settlement with a population of 800. South Caicos Lighthouse was built in 1890.and is a 5m high solar powered lighthouse.
- 2 The Boiling Hole. A subterranean underwater fissure passage that was used by salt producers to feed sea water into their salt pans.
- Relax on the Beach. All are public and free, but access may be difficult.
- 1 Cove Beach.
- 2 Long Beach. 2km long. An abandoned Loran navigation station is nearby.
- 3 East Bay. the most popular beach on the island.
- 4 Plandon Cay Cut Beach. lined by limestone cliffs.
- 5 Bell Sound.
- 6 Shark Bay. Two small beaches, good for hiking and beachcombing.
- 7 Highlands Bay. small bays which are good for beachcombing. The ruins of Highlands House are on the hill behind.
- 8 Valley Bay Beach. A hiking destination due to the poor road access.
There is a Scotia Bank ATM in Cockburn Harbour.
Also see sleep for the restaurants in hotels and resorts.
- 1 Ocean and Beach Resort. Hotel and Dolphin Grill restaurant built in 2006
- 2 East Bay Resort. 480 acres of land, a PADI dive shop, BLU Bar & Grill
- 3 Sailrock Resort (Bell Sound), ☏ . Luxury suites and villas with kitchens. Great House Restaurant and Cove Restaurant are onsite and both have bars.