The Southern Desert is a region of Jordan.
- 1 Aqaba. On the Gulf of Aqaba/Eilat, with links to the Sinai and the Red Sea; crossing the border into Israel is possible here. It has nice beaches and is a Mecca for divers due to its coral reefs. It also includes several resorts.
- 2 Ma'an. Major city along the desert highway.
- 3 Tala Bay. Resort town south of Aqaba on the Red Sea.
- 1 Petra. Jordan's top attraction, an ancient city carved out of sandstone and one of the new 7 Wonders.
- 2 Wadi Rum. Barren, isolated and beautiful, granite cliffs contrasting with desert sand.
- Al Jafr Pan. This temporary lake is an expanse dry, solid land without obstructions, such as scrubs, when the water is gone, which is the case most of the time. The openness and monotony of the landscape fascinates the viewer. Be aware of scorpions.
You can also fly into Israel via Ramon International Airport Eilat (ETM IATA) and then cross the border. While Jordan and Israel have enjoyed peaceful and at times even amiable relations since the 1990s, there is the possibility of visa trouble if you intend to visit other Arab countries. It's also wise to not mention your plans to visit Jordan to Israeli border officials unless specifically asked.