Jump to navigation Jump to search
Southern Isaan is a region of Thailand. Geographically it is part of the Mun River Basin.
- 1 Buriram
- 2 Chong Mek
- 3 Kantharalak — gateway to Preah Vihear
- 4 Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) — the largest city of Isaan
- 5 Nang Rong — the Khmer ruins of Phanom Rung and Muang Tam
- 6 Pak Chong
- 7 Phimai — the site of historical Khmer ruins
- 8 Si Saket
- 9 Surin — the annual Elephant Roundup in November
- 10 Ubon Ratchathani
- 1 Khao Yai National Park — Thailand's first national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 2 Sam Phan Bok —
- Ubon Ratchathani International Airport (UBP IATA)
- 6 trains per day each way connect Bangkok with Ubon Ratchathani, at the end of the line in the far east of the Southern Isaan region. This journey takes 8-10 hours. Other towns in Southern Isaan accessible on this train line are Pak Chong, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, Surin, and Si Saket.
- Phanom Rung Historical Park atmospheric Khmer temples on top of an extinct volcano
- Preah Vihear — a Khmer temple in Cambodia. Access from Thailand depends on diplomacy between the two countries, whose governments occasionally think it wise to expend bullets and lives over the ruins.