North America > United States of America > South (United States of America) > West Virginia > Ohio Valley > Spencer (West Virginia)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Robey Theatre, 318 Main Street, ☏ . The longest continually-operating movie house in the US, opened in 1907 as a vaudeville house and showing movies since 1908. One screen. $5 general admission, $7 balcony.
- Mount Zion Drive-In, WV-16 in Mount Zion, 304-354-9405. Open during warmer months; movies begin at dusk. Historic drive-in since 1949. Full concession stand serving pizza, fresh hand-pattied burgers, hot dogs, popcorn and frozen custard, with homemade pizza crust and hot dog sauce. Food $1 - $8, admission $6.
- Heritage Park Museum, 207 Court Street, ☏ . Housed in an old Baltimore & Ohio Railroad depot, with late 19th and early 20th century tools, printing press, World War I memorabilia, restored 1920 school house, early 1900s oil derrick, and Baltimore & Ohio caboose.
- [formerly dead link] Charles Fork Lake. Off WV-36. Fishing, canoeing, and over 25 miles of hiking and biking trails. Hosts the Aquafina Tour de Lake Mountain Bike Race every May.
- West Virginia Black Walnut Festival, 116 Court Street, ☏ . Held during four days beginning on the second Thursday in October since 1954. The festival was begun when a local farmer sold two million pounds of black walnuts, inspiring the region to cultivate them as a cash crop. Grand parade, kid's parade, art and photography show, competitions, pageant, exhibits and flower show, live music, gospel sing, food booths, carnival.
- Common Cents and Vanity Consignment, 219 Main Street. Open 10 am to 5 pm Monday through Saturday, and 12 pm to 3 pm most Sundays. One of the largest consignment stores in West Virginia, with over 5,000 square feet. Clothing, household items, antiques, furniture and wallpaper.
- [dead link] Hughes Jewelry Inc., 144 Main Street, ☏ . Rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets and mens' jewelry, specializing in diamonds. Watch, clock and jewelry repair.
- Seven Sisters Handcrafted Soaps, 145 Summit Street, ☏ .
- Times Record, 210 E Main St, ☏ . The local newspaper.
- Grandview Family Restaurant, Ripley Road, 304-927-9838.
- Main Street Cafe, 217 Main Street, ☏ .
- Roane Vineyards. Reedyville / Golf Course Road off US-14 near US-33, 304-927-3200. Hours by appointment; please call ahead. Begun when the owners discovered wild grapes growing on their farm in 1995, now cultivating eight varieties of mostly French-American Hybrid grapes. Fourteen wines available, including plum, raspberry, elderberry and melomel.
- Grandview Motel, 1158 Ripley Road, ☏ .
Bed and Breakfasts
- Cunningham House, 224 Chapman Avenue, ☏ . 4 rooms. Historic home, built in 1900 and opened as a B&B in 1998. Fireplace, wraparound porch, dining room. $84 - $104.
- Vintage House, 435 W Main Street, ☏ .
- Ripley is about 40 minutes west on US-33.
- Charleston is about 1 hour south on US-119 / I-79.
- Weston is about 1.5 hours east on US-33.
|Routes through Spencer|
|Columbus ← Athens ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Weston → Harrisonburg|