Springfield is a small town in the foothills of the Torlesse Range on the way to the Craigieburn ski fields and Arthur's Pass. It was an important source of coal for Christchurch and later became an important staging post to service the stage coaches travelling to the West Coast.
Springfield hosts the last fuel station and garage before Arthur's Pass. Springfield Motors also operates a salvage truck.
- Atomic Shuttles, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. To Christchurch (from Greymouth) 4:15PM; to Greymouth/Hokitika (from Christchurch) 8:10AM.
- West Coast Shuttle, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Springfield to Christchurch, about 10:45AM from Springfield Motors. From Christchurch, departs 123 Worcester St at 3PM.
- Main article: Rail travel in New Zealand
- TranzAlpine Train, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Once daily to Greymouth at 9:15AM and towards Christchurch at 5:12PM.
- Springfield doughnut
- St Peters Church
- Four ski fields in the Craigieburn ranges.
- 1 Adventure Trailrides, Rubicon Valley Farm, Springfield, Selwyn, ☏ . Guided off-road motorcycle tours from a half-day to 10 days. All tours include an experienced guide, transport from Christchurch, motorcycle or ATV rental, fuel, insurance, riding gear, lunch and support vehicle. Overnight tours also include twin share accommodation and all meals. 5- to 10-day tours require a minimum of two riders. 2-hour tour $195, 5-day tour $4000.
There are five cafes.
- Springfield Hotel.
- 1 Smylies (Springfield Motel), Main West Coast Rd (on left as you come into Springfield from Christchurch), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Smylies has been based in Springfield since the 1990s. It has all the facilities a tired traveller needs, down to a gym and Playstation 3. A chef who cooks meals for around $20. It has studio motel units, 2 bedroom and a fully serviced 3-bed cottage. $28-120.