The town is the centre of the Syrmia region, with about 85,000 inhabitants. It is situated on the banks of the Sava river, near the Fruska Gora mountain. It was once the capital of the Roman Empire, called Sirmium. Ten Roman emperors were born here. The name Mitrovica means "City of Saint Demetrius" (Civitas Sancti Demetrii) and has origins in the Middle Ages. There are excavations with the remainings from the Roman times all around the town.
Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport is connected to Sremska Mitrovica by highway E70.
Sremska Mitrovica is about 70 km from Belgrade by highway E70 (former Autoput Bratstva i jedinstva)
The Belgrade-Zagreb line goes through Sremska Mitrovica.
- 1 Imperial palace (Carska palata), Pivarska 2. Remains from the Roman period. From the year 393. Sirmium was one of four capitals of The Roman Empire
- 2 Museum of Srem (Muzej Srema), Vuka Karadzica 3; Trg Sv. Stefana 15. Muzej na dve adrese
- 3 Srpski dom. Library, theatre, gallery.
- 4 Excavations from Roman times (Iskopine). 24/7 (in open space). Remains from Roman times, all over the town.
- 5 Railway station (Željeznička stanica). The first building built in communist Yugoslavia after World War II
- 6 Serbian orthodox church of St. Demetrius (Pravoslavna crkva Sv. Dimitrija), Trg Ćire Milekića 16.
- 7 River Sava beach (Plaža), Kej. In summer time. Free.
- 8 Baroque square (In the town center), Trg Ćire Milekića.
- 9 Memorial park (Spomen groblje). Burial place for 7950 victims of the fascism in World War II. Important monument from the communist era
- 10 Serbian Orthodox church of St. Stephen (Srpska pravoslavna crkva Sv. Stevana). 'Little church' on The River Sava is one of the oldest churches in Vojvodina. On this place was the Roman bath, and later, in the first century AD, the Christian basilica in Sirmium. Now, there are icons painted by Teodor Kracun with unique motives, for example Christ holding a shovel.
- 11 Cathedral Basilica of St. Demetrius. Catholic church, minor basilica. Built in 1810.
- 12 Greek Catholic Church of Ascension (Ukrainian Church).
- 13 Zasavica bog (Bara Zasavica). Special nature reserve, auto camping.
- 14 Fruška Gora. Mountain, national park.
- Fruska gora monasteries (Fruškogorski manastiri). Fruska gora is declared as a saint mountain because of 16 monasteries still active. Thanks to monks in Fruska gora monasteries Serbian culture survived the Otoman rule in Serbia.
- 15 Memorial picture gallery Lazar Vozarevic.
- 16 St. Demetrius basilica remains (ostaci bazilike Sv. Dimitrija), Solarski trg. Built between 426 and 441 AD. Located in the basement of a nowadays residential building.
- 17 St. Irenaeus Footbridge (Pešački most). Longest cable-stayed pedestrian bridge in Europe (span length 35 m - 192.50 m - 35 m, deck width 5,5 m). Ancient Roman Artemis bridge was located on this site. Many Christians were executed here, one of them was St. Irenaeus, bishop of Sirmium in Pannonia
- 18 Stone Flower Fountain (Fontana Kameni cvet). Fountain in the town center, made by Irina Nepokojčicka, Russian architect who ran away from bolsevik Russia to Sremska Mitrovica. Longing for home she made a beautiful fountain, stone flower which 'cries', symbolizing her tears.
- Stringfest (String Instruments Festival - Festival gudača).
- Wine festival. dedicated to Roman emperor Probus
- Motorcycle meeting.
- SM Jazz&Blues Spring Fest.
- Sirmium Rock Fest.
- Watermelon fest (Bostanijada).
- Srem Folk Fest.
- 1 Magic Square (New Year and Christmas festival). Christmas Market, concerts...
- Rhetoric Festival (SIRMIUM LUX VERBI, Festival besedništva).
The Syrmia region is famous for pork meat specialties - bacon, sausages and other products of pork meat. Fish is also a regional product (Syrmia is located between two large rivers - the Sava and the Danube).
The Syrmia region is known for good wine. Beer is also good and most people drink beer in restaurants. Schnaps ('rakija') made of plum, apricot or apple is a traditional drink in Serbia.