North America > United States of America > California > Southern California > Los Angeles > Santa Clarita Valley > Santa Clarita
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Prime time offers shared ride vans to/from LAX. Stand under the orange "shared ride vans" sign in the center concrete island outside the LAX airport. Tell a customer service representative that you need a ride to Santa Clarita. They are easy to identify by their red jackets. If no representative is available, then flag down a red van with a "Santa Clarita" placard in the windshield. Approximate cost is $30 per person. Approximate time to Santa Clarita is 1 hour.
The cheapest way to get to Santa Clarita from LAX is to use Metrolink. Stand under the green "FlyAway, Buses and Long-Distance Vans" sign in the center concrete island outside the LAX airport. Board a blue FlyAway bus heading to Union Station (there are FlyAway buses going to Van Nuys and Westwood as well). It will cost you $4 one-way (a 30-minute trip). The blue FlyAway is a large charter-style bus, and is occasionally not labeled. FlyAway buses operate every half hour, 24 hours a day. If you are boarding at the airport, you will not be charged until you get to your destination. At Union Station follow the Metrolink signs. Walk to the Antelope Valley Line (typically platform 4B, but varies so check signage) in Union Station. Inside the terminal is an automated kiosk for purchasing tickets. One-way tickets for the AV Line are $7.50, or $10 for a day pass on the weekends. There is a discount for seniors, students, and people with documented disabilities, which generally includes any disability that would prevent them from walking or driving a car. The travel time is approximately 1 hour, which cuts off as much as 45 minutes with the traffic conditions at times.
The closest full-service Amtrak station is Los Angeles Union Station. From there, you would take the Metrolink Antelope Valley line up to Santa Clarita. At Union Station follow the Metrolink signs. Walk to the Antelope Valley Line in Union Station (typically platform 4B, but varies so check signage). Inside the terminal is an automated kiosk for purchasing tickets. One way tickets are $7.50, or $10 for a day pass on the weekends. There are discounts for seniors and people with disabilities, which reduces the one-way ticket price to $3.75. The student discount reduces the one-way ticket price to $5.75. The travel time is approximately 1 hour, which cuts off as much as 45 minutes with the traffic conditions at times.
From Downtown Los Angeles or other southern cities take Interstate 5 North, which is called "the 5 freeway" locally. Santa Clarita starts with Lyons Avenue/Pico Canyon Exit and ends around Hasley Canyon Exit. Slightly West of the 5 freeway in Los Angeles is the 101 North to the 170 North which ends at the 5 North freeway. In South West Los Angeles the 405 North also connects to the 5 freeway North. From the North East, the 14 (Antelope Valley) freeway South will take you to Santa Clarita, exiting at Soledad Canyon.
- United Taxi of Los Angeles +1 661 267-9850
- Yellow Cab of Santa Clarita +1 661 260-2227
- Yellow Star Cab Santa Clarita +1 661 288-7800
Santa Clarita Transit operates bus routes throughout the city. Full fare for a single ride is $1, with children 5 and under free. Adults over 60 ride for a reduced fare of $.50/single ride. Transfers are free.
Santa Clarita has many bike paths and paseos. You can easily get around by bicycle as everything is connected by paseos where you can avoid waiting for traffic lights. A map of the bike paths is available online.
There is a large equestrian community in Santa Clarita and horse trails throughout the city. A map of the horse trails can be found online.
On weekdays, four bus lines have service to/from the Metrolink station that connects Santa Clarita to Los Angeles. Routes 501-504. They are designed to run for commuters, but work great for those wanting easy/fast access to Los Angeles without the hassle of traffic. Details of times the run and stops are on the Santa Clarita Transit website.
There are two Metrolink Stations in Santa Clarita operating on the Antelope Valley Line which ends at downtown Los Angeles (Union Station). From there you can connect to other Metrolink train lines or LA's subway/bus system as well as Amtrak or the Flyaway buses to LAX airport:
- Jan Heidt Newhall Metrolink Station, 24300 Railroad Ave. Directions: From the 5 Fwy., exit Lyons Ave. Go East on Lyons to San Fernando Rd. Go South on San Fernando Rd. to Market. Go East on Market to Railroad Ave. There are 150 parking spaces available, and there is no fee for parking.
- Santa Clarita Metrolink Station, 22122 Soledad Canyon Rd. Directions: From the 5 Fwy., exit Valencia Ave. Go East on Valencia Ave. Valencia becomes Soledad Canyon Road. There are 350 parking spaces available, and there is no fee for parking. Bike lockers are available.
- 1 Six Flags Magic Mountain. Open since 1971, is the leading attraction in Santa Clarita. Movie buffs will recognize this park as "Wally World" in the 1983 film National Lampoon's Vacation. Buy your tickets online at their website and you'll usually get a deal like $10 off or buy one get one free. Parking costs $17 for self parking and $30 for valet. Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted "Coaster Capital of the World" crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.
- 2 Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. Adjacent to Six Flags Magic Mountain is its sister Park Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. This tropical themed water park provides an entire day of fun for the whole family! The attraction lineup features more than 23 slides and activities that keep you cool in the summer months.
- Mountasia Family Fun Center, 21516 Golden Triangle Rd (off of Soledad Canyon Road), ☏ , fax: . Monday - Thursday: noon-9PM, Friday noon-11PM, Saturday 10AM-11PM, Sunday 11AM-9PM. Overrun with young kids during the day, and slightly older kids in the evenings, this spot is nevertheless a fun place to go for miniature golf, batting cages, go-carts, and sundry other entertainment. Miniature golf costs $6.50 per round, but a AAA membership gives a two-for-one discount. Parents of young children might be interested in birthday parties, during which children can be infused with cake, soda, and pizza and then unleashed on a climbing wall, video games, and other activities designed to maximize their sugar buzz.
- Valencia Town Center, 24201 Valencia Blvd, Valencia, CA (Exit the 5 Freeway at Magic Mountain Pkwy, Turn right onto Magic Mountain Pkwy, Valencia Town Center starts at Magic Mountain Pkwy and McBean Pkwy), ☏ . Monday - Friday 10AM-9PM, Saturday 10AM-8PM, Sunday 11AM-7PM. An outdoor shopping area starting at the corner of McBean Pkwy and Magic Mountain Pkwy gives way to a mall as you go East on Magic Mountain Pkwy. Several boutique stores, coffee shop, restaurants in the outdoor shopping area as well as Edwards Valencia Grand Palace Stadium Movie Theater. Restaurants at the Town Center include Salt Creek Grille, Poquito Mas, Johnny Rockets, Larsen's Steakhouse, Lazy Dog Cafe, Tilted Kilt, Sisley Italian Kitchen, T.G.I. Friday's, and BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse. Department stores in the mall are Macy's and JCPenney.
- 1 Chi Chi's Pizza, 23043 West Soledad Canyon Rd (Exit 5 fwy at Magic Mountain Pkwy, Turn East onto Magic Mountain Pkwy, Make a left turn at Valencia Blvd. (which becomes Soledad Canyon Rd at Bouquet Canyon Rd), Chi Chi's will be at on your left as you pass Bouquet Canyon Rd), ☏ . One of the oldest land marks in Santa Clarita. This restaurant has been here since the beginning. Great pizza and Italian food at good prices. Many residents will tell you it's the best pizza or Italian food in town! $8 - 15.
- 2 Elephant Bar, 27063 McBean Pkwy (Exit 5 freeway at Magic Mountain Pkwy, turn East onto Magic Mountain Pkwy, At McBean Pkwy make a left turn and the next left turn is Elephant Bar), ☏ . 11AM–10PM Sunday through Thursday; 11AM–11PM Friday and Saturday. Full Bar, Safari feel inside. The sweet potato fries are an excellent appetizer. The salads are great, chicken marsala is excellent but many other choices to choose from. $8 - 15.
- 3 Claim Jumper, 25740 The Old Rd (Exit the 5 freeway at McBean Pkwy, Go West on McBean and turn left at The Old Road, Claim Jumper is set back from the road quite a bit it's behind Macaroni Grill at the back of the plaza), ☏ . Sunday - Thursday 11AM-10PM Friday - Saturday 11AM-11PM. Huge portions of American food, you will have leftovers. Good food, but heavy depending on what you order. Quite a few choices for the meat lover. Even the desserts are huge - see the Chocolate Motherlode Cake. $15 - 25.
- 4 BJ's Pizza & Brewery, 24320 Town Center Dr (Exit the 5 freeway at Magic Mountain Pkwy, Turn Right onto Magic Mountain Pkwy, Make a Right turn at McBean Pkwy and the first Left turn onto Town Center Dr.), ☏ . 11AM-midnight Sun-Thurs, 11AM-1AM Fri-Sat.. Nice atmosphere with cozy booths and tables. Outdoor seating available as well facing Town Center Drive. Huge menu of mostly American food. Large portions. The Strawberry Lemonade is fantastic. For those with a sweet tooth, you must save room for dessert, the pizookie is one of a kind (a cookie of your choice in a deep dish pizza pan with ice cream on top). Also has a full Bar with mounted flat panel televisions around the bar usually tuned to sports. Excellent choice for the beer lover. Custom brews as well as a wide selection of other beers from around the world. If you're unsure which beer to choose they will give you a free sample of their custom brews to help you decide. $8 - 15.
There is a great selection of wine lounges and a couple of wineries also dot the landscape
- Lee's Wine Bistro, 24510 Town Center Dr (Adjacent to Hyatt Regency), ☏ . Features over 100 wines by the glass and tasty appetizers and desserts.
- Pulchella Winery, 24261 Main St (In Old Town Newhall), ☏ . No expense is spared in sourcing the highest quality Paso Robles grapes and showcasing small vineyards that offer unique characteristics that would normally be overlooked by larger producing wineries. You can bring your own food to this wine tasting.
- Valencia Wine Company, 24300 Town Center Dr, ☏ . Valencia Wine Company prides itself on its selection, service and commitment to wine education. This wine lounge has an outdoor patio and offers weekly tasting classes and other special events including weekend live music.
- Wine 661, 24268 Valencia Blvd (in the Kohl's parking lot), ☏ . Amazing parietals from all over the world and the friendliest atmosphere in town! If you are not in the mood for wine, they also have the best beer list around. So drop by the bar where there is always something for everyone and you will always be among friends.
- Agua Dulce Winery, 9640 Sierra Highway, Agua Dulce, CA, ☏ . Daily 10AM-5:30PM. Agua Dulce Winery is a 90-acre, fully operational winery and vineyard, featuring daily wine tasting and tours, a gourmet gift shop, and wine sales. This winery has earned the honor of being Los Angeles County's leading fine wine grower and producer. Wines from Agua Dulce Winery have won multiple medals in several national wine competitions. Their hand-crafted approach to wine making has been well-received, and the vineyard is blessed with natural soils, climatic and geographic advantages unique to the Sierra Pelona Valley.
- Reyes Winery, 10262 Sierra Highway, Agua Dulce, CA, ☏ . Open for tastings Saturdays and Sundays from 11AM 5PM. The Reyes Winery is just north of Santa Clarita in Agua Dulce at an elevation of 2800 feet, in the newly established appellation officially known as the "Sierra Pelona Valley Viticultural Area." Vines were planted in 2004, and have been producing amazing wines. The 16-acre vineyard was personally planted by Robert Reyes and the Reyes family in April of 2004, and consists of five popular wine-grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Chardonnay, and Muscat.
- Fairfield Inn Santa Clarita Stevenson Ranch, 25340 The Old Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- Residence Inn Santa Clarita Stevenson Ranch, 25320 The Old Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- Comfort Suites Near Six Flags Magic Mountain, 25380 The Old Rd, Stevenson Ranch, ☏ .
- Hilton Garden Inn Valencia Six Flags, 27710 The Old Rd, Valencia, ☏ .
- Hyatt Regency Valencia, 24500 Town Center Dr, Valencia, ☏ .
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Valencia, 28508 Westinghouse Pl, Valencia, ☏ .
- Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Valencia, CA, 24940 Pico Canyon Rd, Stevenson Ranch, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Santa Clarita, 25259 The Old Rd, ☏ .
- Best Western Valencia Inn, 27413 Wayne Mills Pl, ☏ .
- Days Inn by Wyndham Castaic Six Flags Magic Mountain, 31410 Castaic Rd, ☏ . Days Inn Castaic Six Flags Magic Mountain.
- Take the Antelope Valley Line to Los Angeles.
- Once you get to Union Station via the Antelope Valley Line, transfer to the Orange County Line to Anaheim or Buena Park, homes of Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, respectively.
- Palmdale - 37 miles north of Santa Clarita on Highway 14. In 1962, Palmdale became the first city in the Antelope Valley to incorporate, and today it is home to over 150,000 people. While it lacks exciting tourist destinations, the town does offer hotels and restaurants.
|Routes through Santa Clarita|
|Sacramento ← Valencia ←||N S||→ North Valley → Downtown L.A.|
|Bishop ← Palmdale ←||N S||→ END|