Stonehaven is a town in North East Scotland.
From Aberdeen, 1 Stonehaven station is the first stop south after Portlethen, and costs less than £5 round trip. The scenery from the railway line between Aberdeen and Stonehaven is spectacular, and more scenic than going by car. There is a walk of about 1 km (0.62 mi) from the station to the town centre.
45-60 minute trip from Aberdeen even less expensive than the train. Get the 107,x7 or 117 from the Aberdeen bus station, next to the train station.
From Aberdeen, take A90 south of Aberdeen.
- Stonehaven is a very small town, so walking is your best bet
- There are taxis in the area
- 1 Dunnottar Castle, Stonehaven, AB39 2TL (About 2 miles south of Stonehaven on the A92. There is a small car park and path up to the castle. The most scenic way to get to Dunnottar is the mile-long walking trail from the harbour at Stonehaven. The hike is a narrow path through fields and along the cliffs that provides stunning views the entire way.), ☏ . April-Oct 9AM-5:30PM daily, rest of year, open daily 10AM, closes between 2:30PM and 4:30PM. This is one of Scotland's most evocative castles. The ruins of this cliff-top fortress are perched on a rocky promontory with cliffs soaring down to the North Sea, with fantastic views. You can wander round the extensive remains, which once hosted many famous figures of Scottish history, and during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, a small garrison held out against dictator Oliver Cromwell's army to protect the Scottish crown jewels (Cromwell had already destroyed the English crown jewels). Adult £7, child £3.
- Stonehaven Harbour. The harbour forms the town centre. There is a collection of local pubs and restaurants, though as it is a small town, there are 4 or 5 places. However, having a pint at a table overlooking the harbour and hanging with locals is a great experience. This town is very small, and in the town there are very few travellers, so it is a great chance to meet and talk to locals.
- 2 Fetteresso Castle. 14th-century towerhouse, rebuilt in 1761 as a Scottish Gothic-style Palladian manor, The castle has been converted into several private houses and is not usually open to visitors.
- 3 Stonehaven Tolbooth. 16th-century old red sandstone building built as a courthouse and a prison.
- 1 Stonehaven Golf Course, Cowie, AB39 3RH, ☏ . M-F: 8AM-9PM; Sa-Su: 6:30AM-7:30PM. Probably one of the most tremendous golf courses you will play in your lifetime. Absolutely stunning.
- Splash'n'Dash (Leisure Centre). Tue and Thu evenings. Run and swim.
- Stonehaven Folk Festival is held in mid July. The next is Fri 10 - Sun 12 July 2020.
- Stonehaven Highland Games are in late July. The next are probably on Sun 19 July 2020 but tbc.
- There are also Games at Drumtochty Castle in late June. The next are probably on Sat 20 June 2020 but tbc.
- Purdies, Market Square. Sells an eclectic mix of gifts, cards, jewellery and shoes.
- Charles Michie, Market Square. A pharmacy, also selling trinkets, gifts and ornaments.
- The Shell Hoosie (at the harbour). Sells sea/marine-based gifts, ice creams and coffee to take away.
- The Farmers Market is held here first Saturday of the month 09:00-13:00.
- 1 Carron Fish Bar, 1 Allardice St, AB39 2BN, ☏ . M-Sa: noon-2PM, 4:30PM-9PM; Su: 4:30PM-9PM. Fish and chip shop famous for inventing the deep fried Mars bar.
- 2 Gino's, 21A Ann St, AB39 2EN (just up from the Market Square), ☏ . 10AM-9PM. A wee Italian run cafe, it sells good quality food at reasonable prices.
- Molly's Cafe Bar, The Promenade, AB39 2RD (at the beach). Mon-Wed: 9AM - 5PM Thu-Sat: 9AM - 9PM Sun: 9AM-8PM. Open all day and sells good Scottish breakfasts, the usual homebakes, paninis, etc.
- The Tollbooth, Old Pier, AB39 2JU (In the harbour.). For world class seafood. mains £17 - £24.
- If you want to buy produce then Charles McHardy in the Market Square is good, also Lembas Organic eggs are sold there .
- Be sure to have a pint around the harbour and a summer evening.
Stonehaven should be more of a side excursion from Aberdeen than an overnight thing, but does have a number of hotels.
- A camp site is available in season beside the open-air pool with reasonable rates.
- 1 Marine Hotel, 9-10 Shorehead, ☏ .
|Routes through Stonehaven|
|Aberdeen ←||N SW||→ Forfar → Dundee|