Jump to navigation Jump to search
Forfar is a town in Angus.
- 13 miles north of Dundee off the A90, which is the closest mail rail connection.
- regional buses from Brechin, Dundee and Arbroath.
- long distance buses from Aberdeen and Glasgow.
- 1 Aberlemno Sculptured Stones, Aberlemno. Early Medieval standing stones
- 2 Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum, Meigle. exhibition of 27 carved Pictish stones
- 3 Edzell Castle. ruined 16th-century castle, with an early-17th-century walled garden
- 4 Glamis Castle. 17th century. (Pronounced Glam-Z) is situated beside the village of Glamis. It is the home of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne, and is open to the public. Glamis Castle has been the home of the Lyon family since the 14th century, though the present building dates largely from the 17th century. Glamis was the childhood home of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who married King George VI, and was later known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Her second daughter, Princess Margaret, was born there. The castle is protected as a category A listed building, and the grounds are included on the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland, the national listing of significant gardens.
- 5 Meffan Institute. museum and art gallery, includes the Pictish Kirriemuir Sculptured Stones and the Dunnichen Stone
- 1 Forfar Indoor Sports, Suttieside Rd,, ☏ . curling, bowling, ice skating
- Angus Agricultural Show is held annually in June in the nearby town of Brechin. The next event is probably on 13 June 2020 but tbc.
- Strathmore Highland Games are held the same weekend at Glamis Castle, so their next event is 13 June 2020.
- Those are followed by Kirriemuir Agricultural Show, next probably on Sat 11 July 2020 but tbc.
- Glamis Country Fair & Horse Trails, at the Castle, was first held 2 - 4 Aug 2019, dates for 2020 tbc.
- Bridies are local savoury meat pastry pies.
- 1 The Castle Club, 100-108 Castle St DD8 3DR, ☏ . M-Sa 12:00-14:00, 17:00-21:00; Su 16:30-19:00. Their Sunday High Teas are good value.
- 2 Queen Street Tavern, 45-53 Queen St DD8 3DL, ☏ . M Tu 11:00-23:00, W-Sa 11:00-00:00, Su 12:00-20:30. Good pub grub.
- 1 The Queens Hotel Forfar, 12-14 Cross,, ☏ . Open daily. Has basic rooms but it's essentially a pub.
|Routes through Forfar|
|Aberdeen ← Stonehaven ←||NE S||→ Dundee → Perth|