Birnam is referred to in Shakespeare's tragedy Macbeth.
Birnam grew out of the arrival of the railways. For ten years in the middle of the nineteenth century, Birnam was the railhead for the Highlands.
Rail - Dunkeld and Birnam Station is a couple of minutes walk from the centre of the centre of the village. Trains from Perth, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling call there. There is sleeper service to and from London on six nights of the week.
Coach and Bus - There are local bus services to and from Pitlochry, Aberfeldy, Perth and the surrounding villages. Coach services between Edinburgh, Perth and Inverness stop in the village. Interchange with services to Aberdeen, London, Dundee and Glasgow takes place at Broxden in Perth. Visit Travellinesscotland for more information.
Car - access from the A9 Edinburgh to Inverness road is from junctions at the north and south ends of the village.
Air - Edinburgh Airport is about an hour from Birnam.
- Birnam Oak (Down Oak Road past the Birnam Inn, through Jubilee Park and next to the river Tay). an ancient oak tree, the last remnant of Shakespeare's Birnam Wood.
- BirnamArts, Station Road, Birnam,Dunkeld PH8 0DS direction's=, ☎ . a multi-purpose building with a cafe, Beatrix Potter exhibition and shop, workshops, WiFi, visiting music and drama and the Library.
- Beatrix Potter Garden (opposite the Birnam Hotel). recreates the creatures and environment that inspired Beatrix Potter to write her books.
- Walks around Birnam. Birnam is in the heart of excellent walking country.
- Birnam Post Office. a fascinating building in the American Frontier architectural style.
- Birnam Inn (Pizzeria), Perth Road, PH8 0AA (Next to Birnam Hotel), ☎ .
- BirnamArts (Cafe), Station Road, PH8 0DS, ☎ .
- Birnam Post Office (Tea Room).
- Birnam Inn, Perth Road, PH8 0AA (Next to Birnam Hotel), ☎ .
- Birnam Hotel, Perth Road, PH8 0AA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Merryburn Hotel, Station Road, PH8 0DS, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Dunkeld Information Centre, The Cross, Dunkeld, PH8 0AN, ☎ . Dunkeld's Tourist Information Centre.