Aviemore is a popular destination for outdoor activities and within Cairngorms National Park.
- Tourist Information Centre, 7 The Parade, Grampian Road, PH22 1RH, ☎ . Daily at least 10:00-16:00, opens earlier and closes later at various dates (open throughout the year).
Aviemore railway station handles trains from Inverness south, including destinations such as Edinburgh, Glasgow and England.
- Scotrail services link Aviemore with Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness several times a day.
- East Coast runs a daily service between Inverness and London via Aviemore. The service calls at principal stations including Edinburgh, Newcastle and York.
- The Caledonian Sleeper also connects the town with London six nights a week.
- Compass Tours by Rail operate occasional Charter Trains from around the UK along the Highland Mainline, stopping at Aviemore.
- Aviemore is just off the A9, the main road north to Inverness.
- The National Route 7 passes through Aviemore.
- There are two main taxi companies in Aviemore - Weirs of Aviemore and Geordies.
- Gerry's Aviemore Taxis, ☎ . (landline), (mobile)
- Rapsons, the coach company, runs regular buses around Aviemore, the Cairngorm Ski area and around the Spey Valley.
- There are many official paths around Aviemore including the Aviemore Orbital and walks around the Lochs and the Cairngorm Mountain.
- Highland Folk Museum, Highland Folk Museum, Kingussie Road, Newtonmore, PH20 1AY, ☎ . Apr-Aug: daily 10:30-17:30, Sep-Oct: daily 11:00-16:30, Nov-Mar: closed. Open air museum of ordinary highland life based in nearby Newtonmore. Free, donations welcome.
- Cairngorm Reindeer Centre, Glenmore, ☎ . See reindeer.
- Loch an Eilein and Castle. A lake in the Rothiemurchus Forest with a ruined castle on an island. A 7km walk around the lake is described on Walkhighlands.
- Loch Morlich, Glenmore. Sandy beaches. A 6km roundtrip is described on Walkhighlands.
- The Strathspey Railway operates a 10 mile preserved railway and has its southern terminus at the Railway Station at Aviemore.
- Hillwalking - many mountains nearby, the Cairngorms includes 4 out of 5 of Scotland's highest mountains.
- Mountain biking & Quad Biking - numerous forests nearby, with tracks and paths suitable for off-road cycling and riding, e.g. Rothiemurchus, Glenmore, Glenfeshie.
- Laggan Wolftrax (about 35km from Aviemore). Is a network of purpose built mountain bike trails, as well as a cafe and shop / bike hire.
- Golfing. Golf courses in Aviemore and the Cairngorm area.
- Skiing. At Cairn Gorm mountain
- Cairngorm Brewery Company, Dalfaber Industrial Estate, PH22 1ST, ☎ . Brewery established in 2001. Offers tours. £5 for tour.
- Tomatin Distillery, IV13 7YT (between Aviemore and Inverness), ☎ . Tours from £7.
- Cairngorm Funicular Railway ( take Stagecoach Service 31 which takes 30min from Aviemore). The funicular railway brings you to the top station at around 1000m. You can leave the station only with a guided tour for conservation reasons. £11.50 adults.
The main shopping point in Aviemore is the local Tesco's. Apart from that the village mainly contains outdoor and sporting equipment shops located on the main street, Grampian Road (with a few exceptions):
- Fat Face -- Fashionable outdoor leisure clothing and footwear. Trendy & fairly expensive.
- Bothy Bikes -- Located at Inverdruie on the Ski Road to Coylumbridge. Great stock of quality bikes, cycle clothes and accessories with local cycle trails right on the doorstep. Repairs and servicing also available. Knowledgeable & friendly staff.
- Nevisport -- Outdoor and sporting equipent and clothing.
- Blacks -- Camping and outdoor equipment and clothing.
- Frasers Butchers -- Award winning Butcher shop with some of the best sliced sausage you are ever likely to taste.
- Sue Ryder Charity Shop -- Secondhand clothing charity shop. Sometimes good for bargain skiing/sporting gear. Also good for cheap books.
- Fat Treads -- Located at the rear of Myrtlefield Shopping Centre. Quality cycling gear and bikes available as well as a repairs service. Good advice to be had, if a little on the expensive side.
- Julian Graves -- Local branch of the nationwide healthfood shop chain.
- Ottakars -- Book shop with a fairy good range of stock including local OS maps and games.
- Semi-Chem -- For toiletries and personal care items.
- G2 Outdoor, Unit 3 Plot 10, Dalfaber Ind. Est., PH22 1ST, ☎ . G2 Provide Outdoor Activities such as rafting and gorge walking through summer and a ski school through winter
- Cairngorm Experiences. Bespoke guided hill walking and mountain biking in the Cairngorms National Park.
Eat & Drink
Even though Aviemore is a very small village it does not suffer from having nowhere to eat out or have a quiet drink due to the tourist trade in the area. Here is a list of a few:
- The Cairngorm Hotel, Grampian Road (opposite the Railway station), ☎ . "The Cairn" as it is known locally is home to a traditional style pub/lounge and restaurant. As well as the usual international beers they also offer a range of locally brewed beer and ales. Food is more expensive than normal pub fare, but is of a very high quality! Excellent service.
- The Old Bridge Inn, Dalfaber Road (behind the Railway station), ☎ . Another of Aviemore's traditional style pubs. Has an open fire in the evenings. Has outdoor seating area facing the river during the summer. Good food & beer, but a bit expensive for your average backpacker.
- The Winking Owl, Grampian Road. Semi traditional in style and a bit rough round the edges, but serves yummy pub grub and has a good atmosphere.
- The Skiing-doo, Grampian Road (near the Post Office). Theme bar with old signs, posters, skis and various other strange items adorning every surface, including a Griffins SC of Enfield swimming hat and a Gillingham FC mini scarf! Great surf'n'turf! Try their Garlic Burgers! YUM!!
- The Vault, Grampian Road (Just down the stone steps near the public toilet/showers). One of two of Aviemore's night clubs. Plays mainly popular chart music however also has an electronic/techno music scene, with the club having various electro nights seeing such act as Cagedbaby and DJ Fergie play in this small club, it is probably the most popular place to go at the end of the night when all the other pubs close.
- Harkai's, 45 Grampian Road (5 mintues for the Youth Hostel on the way into town). Fish restaurant with connecting chip-shop take away. Good range of fish and good quality food.
- Muckrach Hotel and Restaurant, Dulnain Bridge, PH26 3LY, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This small stylish hotel serves wonderful local produce including fruit and vegetables grown in their own kitchen garden.
Aviemore has many hotels and a couple of hostels to suit every need from the common travelling backpacker to corporate executive attending the local conference centre.
- Aviemore Youth Hostel ( SYHA), 25 Grampian Road, PH22 1PR, ☎ . Located as you enter Aviemore, the hostel offers budget dormitory accommodation as well as limited private/family rooms. 2AM curfew. Beds from £15, rooms from £34.
- Aviemore Bunkhouse, Dalfaber Road, PH22 1PU, ☎ . A hostel, no membership required. Bed from £19, double room from £50.
- Cairngorm Lodge Youth Hostel ( SYHA), Glenmore, PH22 1QY (outside of Aviemore, next to Loch Morlich), ☎ . Beds from £17, rooms from £39.
- Ravenscraig Guest House, 141 Grampian Road, PH22 1RP, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The Ravenscraig Guest House is on the main street towards the north end of the village. The guest house has great annex rooms at the rear and the breakfast is awesome. All rooms are ensuite with TV and tea and coffee making facilities. From £35 (single) and from £60 (double) including breakfast.
- Moorfield House Hotel, Deshar Road, Boat of Garten, Inverness-shire, PH24 3BN, ☎ . A stunning Victorian Guest House / Bed & Breakfast offering luxurious accommodation is in Boat of Garten (5 miles from Aviemore)in the Highlands of Scotland. Offers 4 Star (STB) accommodation where informality and a warm welcome are the key to your visit. Fully non smoking and licenced, ideal for those of you wanting comfortable, relaxed and peaceful surroundings. All bedrooms have en-suite facilities.
- Muckrach Hotel and Restaurant, ☎ . A very handsome Victorian shooting lodge set in 10 acres of grounds located 12 miles from Aviemore. Stylish and relaxed, Muckrach lodge is the perfect place to explore the breathtaking rugged beauty of the Cairngorms national park.