For convenience, this page also includes listings for some other nearby villages. Invermoriston is five miles north along Loch Ness, and Invergarry is five miles south of Fort Augustus on Loch Oich.
The Tourist Information Centre in Fort Augustus has closed, the nearest is in Fort William.
Bus 919, operated by Citylink and Stagecoach, runs along A82 between Fort William and Inverness via Spean Bridge, Laggan, Fort Augustus, Invermoriston, Castle Urquhart and Drumnadrochit, four times M-Sat and twice on Sunday.
Buses to Skye bypass Fort Augustus. You'll either have to change at Drumnadrochit for the 917 Inverness-Portree bus, or at Invergarry for the 915/6 Glasgow-Fort William-Portree-Uig bus.
Fort Augustus is small and walkable. The bus links Glengarry and Invermoriston.
- 1 Caledonian Canal. Visitor Centre Mar-Oct daily 09:30-15:30. The canal stretches coast to coast for 60 miles along the Great Glen, from Corpach near Fort William to Inverness. At Fort Augustus it climbs by a ladder of five locks towards Loch Oich, the highest point on the system.
- 2 The Fort was built in the 1730s to curb the Jacobites. In the 19th C it became a Benedictine Abbey and school, which closed in 1993. Subsequently there were widespread and well-evidenced claims of abuse of the pupils by the monks. The building became a heritage centre but costs far outran income. It's now luxury apartments trading as Highland Club. You can stroll the grounds.
- Boat trips on Loch Ness sail from Fort Augustus itself, plus Drumnadrochit and the north end of the loch from Inverness.
- Glengarry Highland Games are held at Invergarry in July. The next event is F 30 - Sat 31 July 2021.
There's a string of eating places along the canal locks. Most of the bars in town also sell food and their prices and menus are similar.
- 1 Boathouse, PH32 4BD. Burgers and Scottish staples plus Med food. Part of Highland Club. Daily 11:00-21:00.
- 1 Lock Inn. Also serves food, has a nice log fire for a cosy feeling on a winters night.
- 2 Bothy, Canalside PH32 4EU. Daily 12:00-23:00. Restaurant plus bar with extensive range of whiskies.
- Caledonian Hotel has a small friendly public bar, see "Sleep".
In Fort Augustus
- Lots of small B&Bs and self-catering cottages in the village.
- 1 Morag's Lodge, Bunioch Brae PH32 4DG (200 m north of river bridge), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Clean welcoming hostel in handy location, with self catering kitchen, cosy bar and bike hire. Dorm from £24 ppn, doubles from £60.
- 2 Bank House, Station Road PH32 4BY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3-star hotel with 3 doubles en suite, plus two singles sharing bathroom. B&B from £40, no cards taken.
- 3 Caledonian Hotel, PH32 4BQ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 star hotel with 10 rooms en suite, open April-Sept. B&B double from £95.
- 4 The Lovat (formerly Lovat Arms), Fort Augustus PH32 4DU (off Station Rd), ☏ . Four star hotel in Victorian mansion. With restaurant. B&B doubles from £70.
- Highland Club self-catering apartments on site of fort & abbey: from £600 / week, see "See" listing.
- Invermoriston, 5 miles north of Fort Augustus at A82 / A887 jcn, has several small B&Bs & self-catering cottages.
- Invermoriston Holidays, Dalcataig Road, Invermoriston, IV63 7YF, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Self-catering cabins hired by the week - shorter bookings available but charge almost as much. Closed until March 2019. From £400 per week.
- 5 Lann Dearg Studios, Dalcataig, Invermoriston, IV63 7YG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Self-catering studio apartments. No children or pets. From £50 ppn.
- 6 Craik Na Dav, Invermoriston IV63 7YA, ☏ . B&B, dog-friendly.
- Invergarry, 5 miles south of Fort Augustus at jcn A82 / A87, has more B&Bs and self-catering lets:
- 7 Ardgarry Farm, Faichem, Invergarry PH35 4HG (one mile up Glen Garry), ☏ . One double room B&B, no children or pets. Accepts these in self-catering lodges. B&B doubles from £90.
- Invergarry Hotel PH35 4HJ is a small 4-star hotel (B&B doubles from £90). The restaurant is the best dining option in the village.
South, the A82 runs to Spean Bridge, Fort William, Glencoe and Oban.
A87 runs west across the bridge to Skye.
|Routes through Fort Augustus|
|Oban / Glasgow ← Fort William ←||SW NE||→ Drumnadrochit → Inverness|
|Kyle of Lochalsh ← Dornie ←||W E||→ ENDS|