Kyle of Lochalsh is a village in the Scottish Highlands. It is just across the water from Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye and linked to the island by the (now free) Skye Bridge. Whilst there are not that many actual sights in the village, it makes a good base for some nearby attractions.
During the summer, there are also frequent buses to and from Eilean Donan Castle. At other times the long-distance coaches to Fort William and Inverness can drop you off / pick you up here.
Kyle is small enough to get around on foot.
- 1 Skye Bridge. 500m span road bridge
- 1 Co-op, 1 Bridge Road, IV40 8BH. daily 7am - 11pm. medium sized supermarket.
- 1 Hectors Plaice and Bothy (Cafe and Fish & Chip Shop), Station Road, ☎ . Cafe serving home made fresh food and snacks. Adjacent takeaway serving fish & chips, ice creams, kebabs and other hot snacks.Good local following and open all year
- 2 Buth Bheag, Old Ferry Slip, ☎ . A very small shop and take out place. The seafood sandwiches are very nice and quite cheap.
- The Waterside Restaurant, Train station platform, Kyle of Lochalsh, ☎ . Specialises in simple, fresh seafood.
- Hector's 2 Go ((Fish and Chip shop and takeaway)), Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh (next to Bank of Scotland), ☎ . New fish and chip shop in Kyle selling fish and chips, freshly made pizzas, kebabs, locally sourced ice cream, baked potatoes, fresh soup, hot and cold drinks and sandwiches made freshly for you while you wait. Family run establishment in the heart of the village. Ask for their new loyalty card so that with every 7 meal deals get number 8 free.
- 1 The Lochalsh Hotel, Ferry Road, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. from £35 per room per night.
- The Old Bank House, Main Street (Kyle of Lochalsh), ☎ . The Bank House Kyle Village We are conveniently located in the HEART of Kyle village. Opposite the old slipway bus station and 3 minutes by car from Kyle Railway Station, Child friendly, Family run establishment double £90.
- Plockton — a very attractive loch-side village a few miles away by train or car.
- Eilean Donan Castle in Dornie — a classic (if restored) Scottish castle at the edge of a loch. See above for buses.
- Take the bridge to Skye
|Routes through Kyle of Lochalsh|
|Portree ← Kyleakin ←||W S||→ Dornie → Fort Augustus|