Plockton is a village on the coast of Wester Ross in the Scottish Highlands, sheltered from the west winds and popular with yacht and dingy sailors. Plockton along with Kyle of Lochalsh was the setting for the "Hamish MacBeth" TV series, aired 1995-97.
By road Plockton is about 7 miles north of Kyle of Lochalsh, take A890 then branch west down the coast lane. Macrae Kintail Bus 712 runs just once in the morning M-F from Corran via Glenelg, Dornie and Kyle of Lochalsh to Plockton. It immediately turns round for the return, so it's no help for day trips. The long-distance coaches to Kyle and Skye don't come via Plockton.
The village is small and pleasant to walk around.
- Plockton Harbour. The mild climate due to the North Atlantic Drift allows palm and cabbage trees to prosper. You'll probably see seals.
- 1 Attadale Gardens, Strathcarron, IV54 8YX (near Attadale railway station, 10 miles east on A890 along Loch Carron). April-Oct daily 10:00-17:00. 20 acres of woodland, fern and Himalayan species, dotted with sculptures. adult £8.
- There is plenty of opportunity for hill-walking locally.
- 1 Carn na Frith Aird viewpoint. Walk up a very short track from Frithard Road to this viewpoint.
- Calums Seal Trips, Harbour Street, ☏ . Wildlife watching trips (weather permitting) sail daily Easter to Oct, usually at 10:30, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00. The boat Sula Mhor takes 61, with 35 places bookable. Depending on tides it may sail from the car park pontoon or the main pier. Adult £12.
- Lochcarron Highland Games are held in late July at Attadale Estate, along A890. The 2020 event was cancelled so the next is expected to be on Sat 17 July 2021, tbc.
- Plockton Hotel: see Sleep listing.
- 1 Shores Restaurant, 30 Harbour St, Plockton, ☏ . Coffee shop open year round daily, light lunches Tu-Sat. Restaurant Apr-Oct Tu-Su 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-21:00.
- The Harbour Fish Bar, Innes Street, Plockton, ☏ . Daily 12:30-14:30 & 17:30-20:00. Traditional fish & chips, chicken, Stornoway black pudding, etc. Seating outside.
- The Plockton Inn also has rooms.
- There are several B&Bs (doubles from £90) and self-catering cottages.
- Station Bunkhouse has two six-bed and two four-bed dorms. From £18 ppn; sole use £260.
- 1 The Plockton Hotel, 41 Harbour St, ☏ . Cosy two-star with public bar and restaurant. B&B double £130.
- 2 Duncraig Castle (A mile east of village). Hotel in 19th C mansion closed for renovation until spring 2020.