The TIC is 1 Visit Scotland iCentre (tel +44 1478 612992) on Bayfield Road IV51 9EL, open Apr-Sep M-Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 10:00-16:00; and Oct-Mar M-Sa 10:00-16:00.
By bus: Scottish Citylink Bus 914 / 915 runs twice daily between Glasgow and Skye. The route north is from Buchanan St Station via Glasgow Airport, Dumbarton, Loch Lomond west bank, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Fort William, Invergarry and Kyle of Lochalsh, then over the Skye Bridge to Broadford, Sligachan and Portree; about 7 hours in total. Most buses continue to Uig ferry terminal.
Bus 916 / 917 runs twice daily from Inverness via Loch Ness and the Skye Bridge, then via Broadford and Sligachan to Portree; 3 hours 30 mins.
Stagecoach Highlands Bus 51 / 52 runs from the ferry pier at Armadale to Broadford and Portree 3 or 4 times daily.
1 The main bus stand (you'd struggle to call it a station) is in Somerled Square. No facilities beyond a draughty perspex shelter, but it's surrounded by pubs and eating places.
By car follow main road A87 across the toll-free Skye Bridge and continue northwest.
Portree is a small town - almost everything is only 5 minutes walk away. You may want to take a bus to the Co-op supermarket on the edge of town.
There is also mountain bike rental; useful for exploring locally and there is car rental too.
- 1 The Harbour has colourful houses and shingle beach, with attractive hills sheltering the bay from the ocean gales.
- Watch the Isle of Skye Pipe Band parade on summer evenings, usually on Thursdays at 19:00 around Somerled Square. Ask around locally for times. Not mid-August 2019 though, they'll be in Glasgow for the world championships.
- 2 The Storr. At the end of the last Ice Age some 10,000 years ago there was a massive landslip, almost 20 miles long, along the east coast of Trotternish - the ice had been supporting the rocks. This exposed the rugged peak of The Storr (719 m, 2359 ft), with the distinct 50 m pinnacle of The Old Man of Storr. The Old Man can be seen from the road, an anti-clockwise circuit gives the best views. Or hike up for a closer look: Walkhighlands suggest a 3 mile, 3 hour return hike.
- See Uig for points further north in Trotternish, eg Kilt Rock, the Quiraing, and Museum of Island Life.
- For a short walk with a big view, follow Bayfield Road then the path onto The Lump, the headland above the harbour.
- See Skye Events for ceilidhs and live music, at various venues.
- 1 Aros Community Theatre, Viewfield Road, IV51 9EU. They put on various shows, see website.
- Boat trips from Portree harbour are run by Stardust, Brigadoon and Spindrift. Wildlife spotting, fishing, and some trips land at Applecross or Rona.
- Skye Highland Games are held on The Lump in early August. The next event is 7 Aug 2019.
- Skye Agricultural Show is held here in early August. The next event is Sat 3 Aug 2019, on King George V playing fields on Park Road.
- The filling station at the south edge of Portreee has fuel for only a few pence more than mainland supermarket prices.
- 1 Co-op supermarket, Woodpark Road, IV51 9HQ. Daily 07:00-22:00. Large supermarket on the edge of town. Wide range of food, including excellent organic, fairtrade and ethically sourced produce.
- 2 Co-op convenience store, Bank Street, IV51 9DA. Daily 07:00-23:00. Smaller but more central than the main Co-op.
- Over the Rainbow, Quay Brae, IV51 9DB (town centre, by Co-op). M-Sa 09:00-17:00. Gift and craft shop.
- MacKenzie's Bakery, Somerled Square, IV51 9EH (By bus stand). M-Sa 08:00-17:00. Bakery selling pies and cakes made locally.
- Fish & chips takeaways along the Quay include Harbour Chip Shop (daily 11:00-21:00) and The Chippy (daily 08:00-20:00).
- Café Arriba, Quay Brae, IV51 9DB, ☏ . Daily 08:00-17:00. Brightly decorated harbourside cafe with Med-style snacks and meals, coffee and vegetarian choices. Dog friendly.
- Lower Deck Restaurant, 1 Douglas Row, IV51 9DD (on the harbour), ☏ . Daily 12:00-14:30 & 18:00-21:00. Specialises in simple, fresh seafood dishes.
- Dulse and Brose is within Bosville Hotel, open daily 12:00-14:00 and 18:00-20:45.
- Taste of India on Bank St is open daily 17:00-23:00; Prince of India on Bayfield Rd is open daily lunchtime and 16:30-23:00.
- Scorrybreac, 7 Bosville Terrace IV51 9DG, ☏ . W-Su 17:00-21:30. Fine dining with fresh local produce.
- Central in Somerled Square are Caroy House bar and grill, and Cuchullin cafe / restaurant.
Public bars include Pier Hotel on Quay Street, Merchant Bar within Bosville Hotel, and The Isles Inn on Somerled Square.
- 1 Portree Youth Hostel, Lisigarry Court, Portree IV51 9EW, ☏ . Small hostel now run by Hostelling Scotland near Portree's main square, with male and female dorm both of 8 beds. With modern kitchen and dining area. Dorm beds £25 ppn, breakfast £6.
- 2 Portree Independent Hostel, Old Post Office, The Green IV51 9BT, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A centrally located hostel, sleeps 60. Friendly staff, spacious kitchen and common room, as well as a laundromat open to non-residents. Dorm £19 ppn.
- Tongadale Hotel is a simple place on Wentworth St, B&B double £90.
- Bosville Hotel is a small boutique hotel at 9 Bosville Terrace, B&B double £200.
- Marmalade Hotel, Home Farm Rd, Portree IV51 9LX, ☏ . Georgian mansion with contemporary decor. Under renovation in summer 2019 but remains open. B&B double from £200.
- Altogether some 50 B&Bs in Portree, plus self-catering cottages.
- 3 Viewfield House, Portree IV51 9EU (south edge of village), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Georgian mansion, now an upscale country-house hotel open mid-April to mid-Oct with good dining. B&B double from £150.
- 4 Glenview Hotel, Culnacnoc, Portree IV51 9JH (16 miles north of Portree, 4 miles south of Staffin), ☏ . Offers comfortable accommodation just ten minutes from the Old Man of Storr. Open all year. B&B double £90.
- Portree is so central that you'll probably explore the whole island while based here, but you could relocate to Broadford or Armadale to see Sleat.
- Raasay is usually done as a day-trip via Sconser but deserves longer to unwind.
|Routes through Portree|
|Uig ←||W S||→ Broadford → Kyle of Lochalsh|