Dunvegan (Gaelic: Dùn Bheagain) is a small village on Skye in the Scottish Hebrides. The main draw is the castle. Dunvegan is also a base for exploring Duirnish, the peninsula to the west.
By car take A87 then A850.
Stagecoach Bus 56 runs 3-5 times M-Sat from Portree via Skeabost and Edinbane to Dunvegan (50 min) and Lonmore, with a couple continuing west to Colbost and Glendale.
The castle and village are a mile apart with a road and walking track between. You need a car to reach the lighthouse or the start of the hike to the Maidens.
- 1 Dunvegan Castle & Gardens, Dunvegan IV55 8WF (A mile north of village off jcn A850 & A863). Apr-mid-Oct daily 10:00-17:30. Ancestral home of the Chiefs of Clan MacLeod for 800 years, built in 13th C but much altered and prettified in 19th C. The "Fairy Flag" is an ancient silk heirloom, steeped in hoaky legend and tenuously-connected miracles; it's probably from Syria and may date back to the Crusades, though family tradition puts it much earlier. Other heirlooms are the Dunvegan Cup, dating to 1493, and Sir Rory Mor's Horn which may be 10th C Norse. Adult £14, child £9, senior £11.
- 2 Giant MacAskill Museum. Daily (Easter - end Oct) 9.30am - 6.00pm. Small museum about a giant (an ancestor of the owner) from Berneray, who emigrated to Canada. Giant MacAskill, (Angus Mor MacAskill, 1825-1863) was known as the world's largest "true" giant (normal proportions, no growth abnormalities), reaching a height of 7 ft 9 in. £2.
- 3 Neist Point Lighthouse. The lighthouse is a half-mile walk from the road end, along a well-paved but initially steep path. A longer walk leads to the Point.
- Hike to 1 MacLeod's Maidens. These sea stacks are near the south tip of the peninsula, a 5 mile / 9 km hike each way, see Walkhighlands for a description.
- 1 Fasgadh Stores. M-Sa 09:00-19:00, Su 11:00-17:30. General store & grocer.
- 1 Old School Restaurant, Dunvegan, ☏ . mid Mar-mid Oct daily 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00. In the old school house, serves modern Scottish seafood, beef & game; limited vegetarian choice. Mains from £16.
- Dunvegan Hotel (see "Sleep") has a lounge bar upstairs and the Cellar Bar below, both open daily 11:00-23:00. There's often live music downstairs Thurs & Sat.
- Camping pods are behind the Post Office, open all year, £100 per night.
- Dunvegan Hotel Bunkhouse, Dunvegan IV55 8WA, ☏ . Two small rooms with bunks run by the adjacent Dunvegan Hotel, sleeps six. Linen provided, small bathroom but no kitchen facilities. £12.50 ppn.
- 1 Dunvegan Hotel, Dunvegan IV55 8WA, ☏ . Small family-run hotel with six rooms en suite; lounge bar and restaurant and pub downstairs. Great sunset views over the loch. They also run the adjacent bunkhouse. B&B double from £90.
- B&Bs include Skye Lodge on Mill Rd (double £150), Atholl Guest House opposite the Post Office (double £120), Minnie's Rooms by the filling station (double £80) and Tullorchard House on the main road (double £90).