Sligachan (Gaelic: Sligeachan) is a small settlement on Skye, at the head of Loch Sligachan. It's just a road junction with some accommodation, often used as a base for climbing the Cuillin. The main road across Skye, A87, runs up from Broadford to Sconser (Sgonnsair) then follows the bank of the loch west to Sligachan. From there it heads north to Portree, while A863 crosses the lonely hills towards Carbost.
See Skye for connections to the Scottish mainland and to the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides). Most visitors arrive by car along A87.
By bus: Scottish Citylink Bus 914 / 915 runs twice daily from Glasgow via the airport, Fort William, Kyle of Lochalsh, then over the Skye Bridge to Broadford, Sconser and Sligachan; about 7 hours. These buses continue to Portree and Uig ferry terminal.
Bus 916 / 917 runs twice daily from Inverness via Loch Ness, the Skye Bridge and Broadford to Sconser, Sligachan (3 hours 30 mins) and Portree; these buses don't extend to Uig.
Stagecoach Highlands Bus 51 / 52 runs from the ferry pier at Armadale to Broadford, Sconser, Sligachan and Portree 3 or 4 times daily.
Calmac ferries sail from 1 Sconser pier to Raasay year-round, M-Sa roughly hourly and 3 on Sunday. There's no other transport to and from that island so you have to return the same way. There's free parking at Sconser pier, plus a small waiting room with toilets.
Sligachan and Sconser are 3 miles apart. It's an easy bike ride but not much fun to walk: there's no sidewalk along the main road, the midges are waiting in ambush, and it'll probably rain.
- 1 Sligachan Old Bridge is the compulsory photo shot. 300 yards upstream are the waterfalls.
- Hiking and mountaineering: trails lead south into the hills, for peaks such as Sgurr nan Gillean and Marsco, and all the way south to Camasunary and Loch Coruisk - you'll need to camp to go that far. Before leaving Sligachan, note the memorial garden to those that didn't come back.
- 1 Isle Of Skye Golf Club, Sconser (200 yards south of Sconser Lodge), ☏ . Nine-hole course, with alternative tees so you can play 18, spectacular views. Booking recommended in summer. Nine holes £17, 18 holes £25.
Stock up before you arrive, there's nothing here. There's a small Co-op in Broadford south, and two in Portree north.
- Sligachan Hotel and Sconser Lodge, see "Sleep".
- Seumas' Bar within Sligachan Hotel is open daily 12:00-21:00.
- Cuillin Brewery, Sligachan (next to Sligachan Hotel), ☏ . M-F 10:00-17:00. Micro-brewery (no tours).
- 1 [dead link] Sligachan Campsite, ☏ . Camping and caravan site open April-Oct, run by the nearby hotel. No bookings, just turn up. Adult £8 ppn, hook-up £5.
- 2 Sligachan Bunkhouse, Sligachan IV47 8SW, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 10:00. Self-catering bunkhouse - you need to arrive with supplies, there's no local shop. They also run self-catering cottages and the larger lodge. Dorm £22 ppn.
- 3 Sligachan Hotel, Sligachan IV47 8SW, ☏ . Small welcoming 3-star, good base for climbers and walkers. B&B double £140.
- 4 Sconser Lodge, Sconser IV48 8TD, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Small 3-star, no single rooms, no dogs. Restaurant is open to non-residents. B&B double £140.
- 5 Blà Bheinn B&B, Crossal IV47 8SP (On A863 towards Carbost), ☏ . B&B open April-Sept. Dogs welcome, £5/night. B&B double £100.
- South to Broadford then stay on A87 to cross the bridge and return to the mainland, or branch south to Armadale for the ferry to Mallaig.
- Explore the island of Raasay, taking the ferry from Sconser.
- North to Portree, the scenic Trotternish peninsula, and Uig for ferries to the Outer Hebrides.
- A863 west leads to Carbost for the Talisker distillery, then winds up the coast to Dunvegan.