Colbost (Gaelic: Cealabost) is a tiny settlement on the Duirnish Peninsula in the north-west of Skye.
See Skye for long-distance travel options. By car take A87 then A850 to Dunvegan, finally B884 west.
Stagecoach Bus 56 runs 3-5 times M-Sat from Portree via Skeabost and Edinbane to Dunvegan and Lonmore, with a couple continuing west to Colbost and Glendale / Milovaig.
- 1 Colbost Folk Museum, Colbost, ☏ . Easter-Oct daily 09:30-18:00. 19th C crofter's heather-thatched blackhouse. £1.50.
- 2 Neist Point Lighthouse. The lighthouse is a short walk from the road end. A longer walk leads to the Point.
- See Dunvegan for the long hike to 3 MacLeod's Maidens.
- 1 Skye Silver, The Old School, Colbost IV55 8ZT (A mile beyond Colbost on lane to Milovaig), ☏ . Daily 10:00-18:00. Jewellers and craft silver shop.
- 1 The Three Chimneys, Colbost, Dunvegan IV55 8ZT, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 12:15-13:30 & 18:30-21:15. Acclaimed restaurant, book early. It changed owners in April 2019 but the chef remains and the new owner is aiming for continuity. With rooms, the "House Over-by"
- Cafe Lephin on the road to Milovaig is licensed. It's open M 12:00-16:30 and Tu-F 10:30-19:30.
There's no pub or off-licence here.
- B&Bs and self-catering cottages are found all along the lane through Colbost west to Milovaig. See also "Three Chimneys" above.
- 1 Hillstone Lodge, Colbost, ☏ .
- 2 Silverdale Guesthouse, 14 Skinidin, Colbost, ☏ .
The only road leads back to Lonmore and Dunvegan. From there either head east to Trotternish, Uig and Portree, or follow the west coast past Carbost to rejoin the main road at Sligachan.