Harris divides naturally into northern and southern parts which are separated by West and East Loch Tarbert.
Calmac Ferries runs several ferry services to Harris and Lewis:
- from Uig on Skye to Tarbert on Harris
- from Berneray (an island which is joined by a road causeway to North Uist) to Leverburgh on Harris.
- from Ullapool to Stornoway on Lewis.
Harris is possibly unique in having plans to convert a pub to a church. There are two bars and a distillery in Tarbert, but there are no pubs elsewhere.
- Camping Many visitors to Harris camp. There are sites around the island, some extremely picturesque, some not official. Please take your litter home if you decide to do wild camping!
- There are hostels in Tarbert and Leverburgh.
- There are hotels in Tarbert and a small one at Scarista, near Leverburgh.
- There are holiday rentals and bed & breakfasts near both Tarbert and Leverburgh.