Leverburgh is a village on Harris. Leverburgh is the third largest settlement in Lewis and Harris after Stornoway and Tarbert. South Harris contains a number of small settlements, mainly along the east and west coast roads.
The Scottish Gaelic name is An Tòb, and the English name used to be Obbe until it was renamed Leverburgh after William Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme (with local agreement) in 1920. Viscount Leverhulme was the owner of local lands and built and fishing port and fish processing works in Leverburgh employing 300 men. He was also known for establishing the soap manufacturer Lever Brothers and for creating the model village at Port Sunlight in England.
20 miles from Tarbert along the A859
Car ferry service from Berneray. Typically 4 crossings per day in summer, taking one hour.
There are good bus services during the day Mon - Sat, but little in the evening and no buses on a Sunday. Buses to Leverburgh run from Stornoway via Tarbert to connect with the ferry to Berneray and North Uist, where connecting buses provide links South, as part of the Western Isles Overland Route, towards Barra.
- Harris Cycle Hire., Sorrel Cottage, 2 Glen Kyles, Leverburgh, HS5 3TY, ☎ .
- 1 St Clement's Church, Rodel (3 miles from Leverburgh). Fine church dating from the 15th century.
- 2 Seallam! Visitor Centre, Northton (An Taobh Tuath), HS3 3JA, ☎ . Genealogy Research Centre Open 10am - 5pm Monday - Saturday £2.50.
- MacGillivray Centre, Northton. Unmanned exhibition about an ornithologist.
- 1 Golf, Scarista, ☎ . Play 9 hole course
- Take a day trip on the ferry to Berneray. The ferry gives a good view of the islands in the sound of Harris, and it is worth spending a few hours walking around Berneray.
- 2 Sea Harris, 5 Ferry Rd., ☎ . Daily boat trips to St. Kilda World Heritage Site.
- 1 Harris Community Shop, An Clachan, HS5 3TS (on the A859). Mon Thur 9.00am - 6.00pm, Fri - Sat 9.00am - 7.00pm. Community-owned co-op, selling groceries including local specialities, newspapers (arriving mid-afternoon), fishing rods and flies, DIY supplies and crafts.
- 1 The Anchorage, Ferry Terminal, ☎ . lunches and evening meals, booking may be advisable for summer evenings
- 2 The Butty Bus, Pier Rd (near the ferry terminal), ☎ .
- 3 Skoon Art Cafe, 4 Geocrab, Isle of Harris, HS3 3HB, ☎ . Mar-Oct Tue-Sat 10am-5pm.
As the Rodel hotel has closed the nearest bars are in Tarbert.
- 1 Am Bothan, Ferry Road, Leverburgh, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A comfortable and clean hostel, located near the ferry landing in Leverburgh.
Bed and Breakfasts
- 2 Ben View, Leverburgh, HS5 3TL, ☎ . £60 - £80.
- 3 Carminish House, 1A Strond, Leverburgh, HS5 3UD (0.5 mile from Berneray ferry), ☎ . £45 - £80.
- 4 Grimisdale Guest House, Leverburgh, HS5 3TS, ☎ . £80 - £100.
- 5 Sorrel Cottage, 2 Glen Kyles, Leverburgh, HS5 3TY, ☎ .
- 6 Scarista House, Sgarasta Bheag, HS3 3HX, ☎ . 6 room luxury informal hotel. Has WiFi, but no TV. Open to non-residents for dinner but reservations are required. from £150, dinner from £45.