Tarbert is a village on Harris in Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Tarbert is a small picturesque village with a population of just over 500. It is the main town and ferry terminal for the Island of Harris. Its central location makes it an ideal base for anybody wanting to tour both Harris and Lewis. The council operate an excellent and frequent bus service from Tarbert during the summer months.
- Caledonian MacBrayne, . The national ferry service. Citylink coaches generally connect with the ferries on the mainland. Details below are for the summer timetable
- Uig on Skye to Tarbert Mon-Sat 1 or 2 per day taking 1 hour 40 minutes.
There are good bus services during the day Mon - Sat, but little in the evening and no buses on a Sunday. Buses to Tarbert run as part of the Western Isles Overland Route from Stornoway and Leverburgh to connect with the ferry to Berneray and North Uist
The village can easily be explored on foot.
Because of its central location you can easily see all parts of the island from Harris. Harris has some of the most stunning scenery in any of the Scottish Islands, the glorious beaches of West Harris are 20 minutes bus journey from Tarbert. If on foot there are some excellent walks that can be done from Tarbert such as Rhenigidale, Laxdale Lochs and Ben Luskentyre.
- 1 Clisham. at 799 metres (2,621 ft) it is the highest mountain in the Outer Hebrides
- The Scaladale Centre, ☎ . If you are the adventurous type get in touch, they offer kayaking, abseiling, coasteering etc.
- Visit the abandoned village of Moliginish, near Rhenigidale
- Take a scenic walk along the coast from Tarbert to Rhenigidale
- Walk to the top of Clisham (799m), the highest mountain of the Western Isles.
- 1 Bank of Scotland (Banca na h-Alba). Mon, Tue, Thu 10:00 - 15:00. bank with cash machine
- 2 A D Munro, Main Street. mini supermarket
- 3 John Morrison, Main Street. Newsagent and Grocers
- Akrams General Store, Main Street. Household goods
- 4 Harris Tweed and Knitwear Shop, Old School, Drinishader. See a display of weaving
Harris is possibly unique in having plans to convert a pub to a church. There are two bars and a distillery in Tarbert.
- 1 Isle of Harris Distillery, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. tours at Mon: 12pm, 2pm; Tue - Fri: 10am, 12pm, 2pm; Sat: 12pm. Distillery which opened in 2015, initially distilling gin, but planning to distil whisky. £10.
- MacLeod Motel. is by far the best pub in the Island to visit. The locals are friendly to tourists and go out of their way to make them welcome. The food is superb with local sea food featuring highly. During summer they have Scottish ceilidh music live in the bar.
- 1 Rhenigidale Youth Hostel, HS3 3BD (The building has white walls and a grey roof with three small skylights on the side of the valley, it is on the east side of the hamlet, a few metres above the road.). A hostel run by the Gatliff Hebridean Hostels Trust in the remote village of Rhenigidale, which is 6 miles from Tarbert on foot, or 13 miles by road. The road has only been there since 1990 and the only way in used to be on foot or by boat. The hostel does not take bookings, and has no phone. This hostel is a renovated croft house in the tranquil hamlet of Rhenigidale. There are no shops nearby, so bring along food.
- 2 The Backpackers Stop, Main Street, HS3 3DJ, ☎ . Hostel with 3 dormitories, sleeping 22 in total. bed £20.
- 3 No 5 Drinishader, Drinishader, HS3 3DX, ☎ . Hostel and self catering cottages. from £22.
Bed and Breakfast
- Tigh Na Mara, Tarbert HS3 3DB, ☎ . This B&B is less than 5 minutes walk from the Ferry Tarbert.
- Avalon, 12 West Side, West Tarbert, HS3 3BG, ☎ . About a mile from the ferry.
- Bed and Breakfast at Ceol na Mara. Nestled among the hills a few minutes' drive from Tarbert, Isle of Harris, you will find Ceol na Mara Guest House, a 20th century Hebridean house set in 55 acres of unspoiled crofting land enjoying spectacular views over Loch Kindebig and beyond.
- Crook Cottage, Ardslave, Isle of Harris, ☎ . Check-in: 16.00, check-out: 10.00. The traditionally built Hebridean Croft House provides self catering accommodation for up to 6 people and is available to let on a weekly basis. Holiday rental is from Saturday to Saturday. £380 - £495 per week.
- Collam Villa, Scott Rd, Tarbert, Isle of Harris, ☎ . Check-in: 16.00, check-out: 10.00. Collam Villa is a 4 bedroom, self-catering villa overlooking the village of Tarbert with views East to the Isle of Skye and West to the Atlantic Ocean. Can comfortably hold from 2 people wanting the property to themselves to a family or group of 9 people + cot. Location provides an ideal central position from which to explore the beaches, bays and hills of Harris as well as giving simple access to the sites of interest in the Isle of Lewis.