The village is at the foot of Loch Long where it joins the broader Loch Duich; Loch Long was first bridged in 1940 and the present bridge opened in 1990. The ancient ferry continued in sporadic use to cross Loch Duich to Totaig on the other bank, but this didn't last. Appropriately then, the bagpipe tune Dornie Ferry is a "Strathspey", a slow, rather melancholy, back-and-forth dance tune.
Dornie is on A87 nine miles east of Kyle of Lochalsh.
By train: Kyle of Lochalsh is the nearest railway station. It has four trains a day from Inverness, stopping at Dingwall, Achnasheen, Stromeferry and Plockton. Buses to Skye connect with these trains. With a bike on the train, you could also get off at Stromeferry and follow the shorter but hilly A890 over to Dornie.
By bus: Scottish Citylink Bus 915 runs twice daily between Glasgow and Skye, stopping in Dornie. The route north is from Buchanan St Station via Glasgow Airport, Dumbarton, Loch Lomond west bank, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Fort William and Invergarry taking six hours to Dornie. Buses then cross the bridge at Kyle to Skye, through Broadford, Sligachan and Portree to Uig, for ferries to Tarbert on Harris and Lochmaddy on North Uist.
Scottish Citylink Bus 917 runs twice daily from Inverness via Loch Ness, taking two hours to Dornie then onward to Kyle and Portree on Skye as above.
Macrae Kintail Bus 712 runs just once in the morning M-F from Corran via Glenelg, Dornie and Kyle of Lochalsh to Plockton. It immediately turns round for the return, so it's no help for day trips.
It's only five minutes walk between the Castle and the village of Dornie.
- 1 Eilean Donan Castle, ☏ . Daily, Nov-Mar 10:00-16:00, Apr-Oct 10:00-18:00 (from 09:00 Jul-Aug). The original Donan was a 7th C saint and martyr, and there's been some kind of settlement here since ancient times. The main incarnation of the castle was from the 13th C, a redoubt of Clan Mackenzie, and was much bashed-about but survived until 18th C. After the 1715 Jacobite rebellion failed a further uprising was attempted in 1719 but never got started, but some Spanish troops and other rebels holed up in the castle. Three navy ships arrived to negotiate their surrender, but the landing boat was fired upon while under flag of truce. Big mistake: when the ships departed three days later, the castle was rubble and the surviving rebels were in shackles below deck. It remained ruined until the 20th C when it was restored as an "ideal" castle, and joined to the mainland by the stone bridge. It opened to the public in 1955 and has been a popular film-location ever since. Adult £10, child £6.
- 2 Caisteal Grugaig: the lane west from Shiel Bridge divides, drive straight on to go over the hills to Glenelg (for the Kylerhea ferry) and Corran. The right-turn branch keeps to the lochside, passing through Ratagan and Letterfearn to the end of the public road at Totaig. Near here is the iron age broch of Caisteal Grugaig, 16.5 x 9.6 m in extent. It's not to be confused with Dun Grugaig, one of the three brochs near Glenelg.
- Go hiking and hill-walking - this is an excellent area for walking, see Walkhighlands (Kintail and Lochalsh) walks for suggested routes. There are thirty-some "Munroes" in the area.
- 1 Dornie Stores, 3 Francis St IV40 8EJ, ☏ . M-F 07:30-18:00, Sa 07:30-16:00, Su 10:00-14:00. Convenience store and post office.
- 1 The Clachan, 13 Francis Street, Dornie IV40 8DT, ☏ . Apr-Oct M-Th 16:30-23:00, F Sa 16:30-00:00. Village pub and restaurant, try the langoustines. Closed in winter.
- There's also a cafe at the castle Visitor Centre, land-side of the bridge to the islet.
- See "Eat" and "sleep" options.
- 1 Dornie Hotel, Dornie IV40 8DT (turn off A87 into village), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 12 room hotel with bar and restaurant, open all year. B&B doubles from £80.
- A few small B&Bs and self-catering cottages in the village, and another scattering west of the A87 bridge.
- 2 Kintail Lodge Hotel, Glenshiel Bridge IV40 8HL (SE end of Loch Duich, 7 miles from Dornie), ☏ , email@example.com. Nine en-suite rooms plus bar and restaurant; open all year. B&B double from £135.
|Routes through Dornie|
|Portree ← Kyle of Lochalsh ←||W S||→ Fort Augustus|