Stratford is a town in Connecticut. Stratford, Connecticut was founded in 1639. It is in New England and located on the Long Island Sound. It is east of the Housatonic River and it also part of Fairfield County. Stratford is 18.7 miles and has a population of 51,384 people. Stratford is only an hour in driving distance from parts New York. Stratford consists of multiple public bathing beaches, five marinas, fishing peirs, and two public boat launching facilities. Stratfords' mission statement is as follows, "To enhance the quality of life within the community by providing services with professionalism and a commitment to excellence." It is quite noticeable driving through the town of Stratford that the town sticks to their mission statement.
By Car Interstate 95 (Connecticut Turnpike), US Route 1, the Merritt Parkway (Route 15), Route 108 (Nichols Avenue), Route 110 (East Main Street and River Road), Route 113 (Lordship Boulevard and Main Street), and Route 130 (Stratford Avenue and Ferry Boulevard) all cross Stratford.
By Train Metro North
You can find prices and train schedules by visiting the metro north website! http://www.mta.info/mnr/
Many of the shopping plazas and popular parts of town are located on Main Street. Walking on Main Street is the most common way of getting around. There is also a bus that runs through the town 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can find a bus stop on almost any street corner. Also, many people bike around the town. Be sure to check out some of the bike trails!
Stratford, Connecticut is a very historical place. If you visit here be sure to check out these places and learn as much as you can.
- Ephraim Wheeler House, 470 Whippoorwill Lane.
- Isaac Lewis House, 50 Paradise Green Place.
- Stratford Point Lighthouse, Stratford Point at mouth of Housatonic River
- Sikorsky Memorial Airport, ☏ . Stratford is the birthplace of the American helicopter industry. In 1939 Igor Sikorsky successfully flew the first helicopter at his Stratford based helicopter plant. This airport is the hub of corporate activity and provides commuter service to other cities. Sikorsky Aircraft is the leading manufacturer of helicopters. Here helicopters are built for military and commercial applications.
- Roosevelt Forest. The town of stratford owns this 250 acre forest. Many people hike here on the hiking paths.
- Boothe Memorial Park, Main Street Putney, ☏ . 32-acre park was willed to the town of Stratford after the death of David & Stephen Boothe. In the museum there is a collection of buildings such as a carriage house, Americana Museum, mini lighthouse and windmill, a clocktower museum, a trolley station, a chapel, blacksmith shop as well as the original Sikorsky Bridge toll booth from the Merritt Parkway.
- Capt. David Judson House, 967 Academy Hill. This historic house was built by David Judson in 1723 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This museum is open to the public and has original furnishings from the 18th century. It is also believed that the cellar was used as slave quarters in the 18th century.
- Nathan B. Booth House, 6080 Main Street, ☏ . Nathan B. Booth House was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It is a post-and-beam construction farmhouse that was built in 1843.
- Sterling Homestead, 2225 Main Street, ☏ . Sterling Homestead was created by John William Sterling in 1886. This mansion was designed by Bruce Price who designed halls at Yale University. After the death of Cordelia Sterling, the house was donated and is now used as a community center to Stratford, Connecticut.
- 1 Connecticut Air & Space Center, 550 Main St (Check in at 550 Main St, then go to buildings 6 and 53), ☏ , ✉ CASC@ctairandspace.org. Tu Sa 9AM–5PM, Th 9AM–5PM, M W F Su closed. Set in buildings 6 and 53 at the former Stratford Army Engine Plant complex, part of a storied history of aircraft manufacturing since WWII, where the Vought Corsair and Sirkorsky S-60 "Skycrane" helicopter and Wright radial engines were built. Now this museum is one part display, and two parts workshop, for lovingly restored warbirds. Visitors must be 18 or older for admission. Check in at nearby 550 Main St for a briefing and clearance, before visiting the museum. $9 (requested).
You'll likely never be bored in Stratford, as there is always so much to do all year round. You can go ice skating, go to the movies, go shopping and mini golf.
- Regal Stratford Stadium 14, 411 Barnum Ave Cutoff, ☏ . Movie theater. Plays a variety of the newest releases.
- Miami Sun Factory, 2362 Main Street, ☏ . Stratford's hottest tanning salon! Stop by here to add a little sunshine to your rainy days!
- Stratford Speedway, 725 Barnum Ave Cutoff, ☏ . At Stratford Speedway you can go Go-Karting with your entire family! Stratford Speedway has very cheap prices and is fun for everyone! They also book parties!
- Sports Center of Connecticut, 284 River Road, ☏ . At the Sports Center of Connecticut located on the Stratford/Shelton border you can do everything from lazer tag, mini golf, ice skating, fun bowling, batting cages, arcade, and driving range! Book parties, take the family, or go with friends! Open year round.
There are many great shopping centers in Stratford. You can get just about everything you need without even leaving the town! Be sure to check out all of these shopping centers. You can find high-end designers clothes for lower prices and stores such as Marshalls and Burlington Coat Factory and you can find everyday necessities at the local CVS, RiteAid, and Walgreens.
- Marshalls, 334 Boston Ave, ☏ . Designers clothing, jewelry, and accessories for low prices.
- Paradise Shopping Plaza, 3637 Main Street, ☏ . Paradise Shopping Plaza has many stores including RiteAid, Sports store, Card Store, and many places to eat.
- Station House Square, 2505 Main Street, ☏ . Station House Square is conveniently located across from the train station. Stores in this shopping center include an Optical Vision store, several dining restaurants, jewelry shop, and many more!
- Ryders Landing Shopping Center, 88 Ryders Lane. This shopping center is located right off of one of the highway exits. It includes places to eat, a bank, liquor store, veterinarian, and clothing stores.
Stratford is full of restaurants! There are multiple places to eat on every street corner! Make sure to check out some of the most popular restaurants!
- [dead link] Augustyn's Blue Goose Restaurant, 326 Ferry Blvd, ☏ .
- Acapulcos, 2419 Main Street, ☏ . Mexican food. There is a nice environment in this restaurant. Good to bring your family. They have a party room and also another room with a bar. Outdoor and indoor seating.
- Panda House, 88 Ryders Lane, ☏ . Chinese food. Eat there, pick up, or delivery.
- Marnicks, 10 Washington Parkway, ☏ . Delicious seafood with a water view. Outdoor bar as well.
- Shell Station Restaurant, 2520 Main Street, ☏ . Seafood and Sushi.Located by the train station.
- Danny's Drive-In, 940 Ferry Blvd, ☏ . Delicious American food. Known for their burgers. Fast-food although you can't actually drive through.
- Gaetano's Salumeria, 1886 Main Street, ☏ . Excellent, friendly service. Sandwiches. Very fresh meat.
- Salernos Apizza, 1398 Barnum Ave, ☏ . Pizza and Italian food.
- Bella Napoli, 112 Barnum Avenue, ☏ . Pizza and Italian food. They also deliver.
- Ninety-Nine Restaurant and Pub, ☏ . American food. Bar inside. Located in the same plaza as the movie theater.
- Paradise Pizza Bar, 3610 Main Street, ☏ . Paradise Pizza is a restaurant but has a bar attached to it in a different room. On football game days they have specials and on holidays such as St. Patricks Day.
- McCoy's Pub, 2399 Main Street, ☏ . Stratford's Hottest Bar!
- Stephen's Pub & Grill, 2428 Main Street, ☏ .
- Rumours Cafe, 835 Barnum Avenue Cutoff, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Ramada Stratford, 225 Lordship Blvd, ☏ . I-95, Exit 30.
- Homewood Suites Stratford, 6905 Main Street, Stratford, Connecticut, United States, ☏ . Fully equipped kitchen with microwave, full-size refrigerator and two-burner stove.
- Comfort Suites, 1500 South Avenue.
- Marnicks Restaurant and Motel, 10 Washington Parkway. Located only steps away from the water this motel is a beautiful place to say. The restaurant is very nice and also has an outdoor bar.
|Routes through Stratford|
|New Haven ← Milford ←||N S||→ Bridgeport → New York City|
|New Haven ← Milford ←||N S||→ Bridgeport → New York City|
|New Haven ← Milford ←||N S||→ Trumbull → New York City|
|Stamford ← Bridgeport ←||W/SW E/NE||→ Milford → New Haven|
|Stamford ← Bridgeport ←||SW NE||→ Waterbury → END|