Sunny Isles Beach[dead link], the City of Sun and Sea, is located on a barrier island in the northeast corner of Miami-Dade County.
The city is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on the east and the Intercostals Waterway on the west. It has a 2 ½ mile-long fine sand beach and outdoor amenities such as water sports, boating, fishing, and tennis as well as the abundant shopping, dining and lodging. The weather is tempered somewhat by its proximity to water; the extreme tip of Florida and the Florida Keys border on a true tropical climate.
The city is experiencing a major redevelopment renaissance on the east side of Collins Avenue, the main thoroughfare. The city is building parks, improving the infrastructure and laying the groundwork for future redevelopment. Sunny Isles Beach is a major center of South Florida's Russian community, with a plethora of Russian stores lining Collins Avenue. The city is sometimes referred to as Little Moscow because of its many Russian and Russian-descended residents.
You can fly into either Miami International or Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International airports, or cruise into the Port of Miami or Port Everglades and be in Sunny Isles Beach within 20 to 30 minutes.
From Fort Lauderdale Airport, take the #1 Broward County Bus to Aventura Mall for the S bus. From Miami Airport, take the J or 150 bus to Collins Avenue for a northbound S or 120 bus.
- The landmark fishing pier is a local favorite
- 1 Samson Oceanfront Park, 17425 Collins Ave. This beautiful park provides a children's play area and space to relax. It is a good place to enjoy the sunrise.
- 2 Haulover Beach Park, 10800 Collins Ave (In the Sunny Isles/Bal Harbour neighborhoods just north of North Beach), ☏ +1 305 947-3525. A regional park with a beach, one of a handful of areas in Miami to surf and windsurf. Unlike South Beach, Haulover Beach does not experience heavy erosion and, therefore, has higher quality sand and shells. Also unlike other Florida beaches, Haulover Beach experiences some noticeable waves. The park is popular among local residents for its fishing and crabbing, although it also offers golf, tennis, and nearby restaurants. The northern half of Haulover Beach is one of the few and also one of the better nude beaches in the US, with reasonable facilities and a welcoming mixed crowd. Located approximately ten miles north of South Beach. Free; $2 for the dog park.
- 3 Oleta River State Park, 3400 NE 163rd St, North Miami Beach, ☏ +1-305 919-1844. 8AM to sundown. Florida's largest urban park has 15 miles of off-road bicycling trails. Paddle through lush mangrove forests, go fishing, or swim. Parking $6.
The city is steadily replacing outdated motels with luxury high-rise oceanfront development.
- Marco Polo Beach Resort, 19201 Collins Avenue.
- 1 [dead link] Days Hotel Thunderbird Beach Resort, 18401 Collins Ave, toll-free: +1-877-818-3523. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $99-150.
- 2 Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort (Newport Beachside Hotel), 16701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida 33160, toll-free: +1-800-327-5476. Right on the beach.
- 3 Ramada North Miami Beach, 19201 Collins Av, ☏ +1 305 932-2233.
|Routes through Sunny Isles Beach|
|Fort Lauderdale ← Hallandale Beach ←||N S||→ Surfside → Miami|