Taganrog is the second largest city in Rostov Oblast, Russia known as the home city of Anton Chekhov.
- 1 Taganrog Yuzhny Airport (TGK IATA). A small regional airport with flights only from Moscow and a few local villages.
- 2 Rostov-on-Don Airport (ROV IATA), nearby Rostov-on-the-Don. Might be a much better option for arrival by air is to take a flight to the larger, which have good international connections with Europe.
Reaching Taganrog by rail usually requires a change of trains in Rostov-on-the-Don which is an important rail hub. A few direct trains heading to the Black Sea cost makes stop-overs here but they are usually only running during summer season. However, commuter trains from Rostov-on-the-Don departs hourly during the day with a journey time of just two hours.
There is also a developed network of shuttle bus service from Rostov-on-the-Don and other neighboring cities and villages of Rostov Oblast and across the border from Ukraine.
- When traveling from Moscow, take federal route M4 up to Rostov-on-the-Don, after Rostov take route Е58-М23 in direction of Taganrog (around 45 miles).
- When traveling from the Ukraine, pass through Mariupol, Novoazovsk and cross the border checkpoint at Novoazovsk. After the Ukainian/Russian border, go around 35 miles on route M23 to Taganrog.
- Taganrog's main and most popular public transport is tramway. It has a network of 9 lines.
There are eight museums in the city: Alferaki Palace, Taganrog Museum of Art, Birth house of Anton Chekhov memorial museum, Taganrog City Architectural Development Museum, Ivan Vasilenko Museum, Chekhov Gymnasium, Anatoly Durov Museum, The Chekhov Shop.
- 1 Taganrog Chekhov Drama Theater, Ulitsa Petrovskaya 90, ☏ +7 8634 383-573. The oldest drama theater in the South of Russia (founded in 1827)
- Gorky Park (downtown Taganrog, main entrance from crossing of Petrovskaya and Spartakovski streets). day & night. free of charge.
- Primorsky Park, Instrumentalnaya Street. free of charge.
- Freken Bok Cafe (Кафе Фрекен Бок), Turgenevsky 24, ☏ +7 8634 310440. The cafe for children and grown-ups stylized using the theme of Astrid Lindgren's "Karlsson-on-the-Roof". Named after Fröken Hildur Bock, the Lillebror's sitter. The book of the Swedish writer became a huge success in the Soviet Union after the 1968 and 1970s cartoons where Fröken Bock was voiced by the Taganrog-born actress Faina Ranevskaya.
- Comfort Place Q43 (Кальян-бар), Ulitsa Chekhova 43, ☏ +7 961 413-43-43. 10AM-11PM. Hookah bar with snacks like cheesecake in case you get hungry.
- Hotel Taganrog, ul. Dzerzinskovo,161, ☏ +7 8634 683000, fax: +7 8634 68 30 13, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Golden Coast, ul. Schmidta 16A, ☏ +7 8634 311-357, email@example.com.
- Temirinda, Ulitsa Portovaya 1-2, ☏ +7 8634 321-122, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bristol, Ulitsa Petrovskaya 64, ☏ +7 8634 383-022, +7 8634 314-405.
- Varvaci, Ulitsa Grecheskaya 76, ☏ +7 8634319-001, +7 8634 365-003.