The name "Tai'an" is derived from Mount Tai, and it carries the meaning of "when Mount Tai is stable, all is well." The city is situated at the foot of Mount Tai, and the city and the mountain are seamlessly integrated.
Mount Tai, located within the city's boundaries, is a nationally renowned scenic area with the reputation of being the "greatest of the Five Sacred Mountains" and the "foremost mountain under heaven." It is a UNESCO World Heritage site with a unique combination of natural beauty and cultural significance.
In 1982, Tai'an City was designated by the State Council as one of the first batch of cities for foreign tourism, reflecting its commitment to opening up to the world. Tai'an is a central city in the central Shandong region, recognized as an excellent tourist destination in China, and designated as a national historical and cultural city.
The name Tai'an (泰安 Tài'ān) is from the word 国泰民安 (Peace of the nation and well-being of the people). It lies in the south of the sacred mountain Mount Tai or Taishan (泰山 Tàishān) in local language. This mountain is considered the palace for all the gods, which is similar to Mount Olympus. The city is historically considered a holy city where the three worlds meet: World of Gods (Heaven), World of Human (Mortals), and World of Afterlife (Hell).
Apart from the fact that every year thousands of people visit Tai'an to admire its nature, to tour its slopes, and reach its peaks, historically, if an emperor is to seek peace of his dynasty, a national ceremony which lasts a month shall be arranged in which the emperor himself shall worship the mountain gods and keep on diet.
To study the history of the founding of Tai'an, one needs to go back to the Spring and Autumn Period around 500 BC when the state of Qi founded its first city, Boyi (the site of the old county village), near Mount Tai. After that, the city was moved three times, and Tai'an City (Qianfeng County) was finally established at the foot of Mount Tai in the fifth year of Kaibao in the Song Dynasty (972). If we count from the founding of Boyeup, Taean City has a history of more than 2,500 years, and if we count from the fifth year of Song Kaibao, Taean City has a history of 1,048 years so far.
Flora and fauna
Tai'an Science and Technology Museum 400 square meters of "natural oxygen bar", the introduction of African bullfrogs, Chinese big flat, blue-footed giant centipede, Uganda, such as flowers and more than 30 kinds of rainforest animals, and the introduction of the Palm family, plantain family, the Lily family, the family of Tennessee, such as 14 types of rainforest plants, to create a surprise, strange, live "rainforest".
Tai'an belongs to the warm temperate continental semi-humid monsoon climate zone, with four distinct seasons, suitable cold and heat, synchronized light and temperature, and rain and heat in the same season. Spring is dry and windy, summer is hot and rainy, autumn is sunny and cool, and winter is cold and snowy.In 2018, the city's average annual sunshine hours of 2117.7 hours, 195.5 hours less than the normal year (2313.3 hours); the average annual temperature is 14.6 ℃, 1.0 ℃ higher than the normal year (13.6 ℃); the average annual precipitation is 785.6 millimeters, 18.2% more than the normal year (664.5 millimeters). 18.2% more than the normal year. Taishan Peak 2018 annual sunshine hours 2550.4 hours, compared with the normal year (2663.8 hours) less than 113.4 hours; annual average temperature 6.6 ℃, compared with the normal year (5.9 ℃) with a high of 0.7 ℃; annual precipitation of 1304.8 millimeters, compared with the normal year (1046.2 millimeters) more than 24.7%.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
By train & bus
Booking a train is not an easy job for non-Chinese speakers. Online ticket agency might provide English interfaces but cost an extra. For Chinese speakers, online booking is the easiest way. Tickets can be payed online using Union Pay, Ali-pay or VISA card, at no additional fee. Otherwise, speaking to the ticket office at the station usually means a really long queue.
Online booked ticket can be collected at the ticket machine in ticket halls of a station. Most tickets are fixed-priced. There are no peak hour restrictions. Most tickets are seat-specified.
Ticket are in Chinese only.
During Chinese New Year or summer time or national day holiday etc. purchasing your ticket in advance is highly recommended.
There are several train stations that serves Tai'an including Beijing and Beijingnan (Beijing South), please make sure you are departing from what specified on your ticket. Regular trains (service starting with numbers, K, T, or Z) usually takes 5-7 hours, typically cost ¥78, there are 5 services per day. T31 (towards Hangzhou) is the fastest which takes 5 hours.
High speed services (G services) usually takes 2 hours, with a price starting from ¥214, 22 services per day.
If you are coming from Qingdao, regular trains run to Tai'an and take 6 hours while costing ¥56-65 one way, there are 11 services per day. Express trains also run from Qingdao and take only 3 hours, though the ticket price jumps to ¥148. As of Dec 2014, there are 6 express trains daily.
You can book the ticket online via 12306.cn (national rail official). Both the regular and express trains pass through Jinan, the capital of Shandong.
Alternatively, you can also take a bus from Qingdao's Sifang long-distance bus station. The trip takes 6 hours and costs ¥116. To book the ticket, call the free landline 4006-916-916.
If you are coming from Jinan, an express train takes only 15 mins, however regular trains, which cost only ¥5, takes 1 hour. Coaches take 1 hour, but usually is more expensive (¥15~¥50).
There are two different train stations in the city.
- 1 Taishan Railway Station (泰山火車站). This station serves high speed trains only. From there, bus route 7/4/3 will bring you to the Dai Miao Temple and other attractions.
- 2 Taian Railway Station (高铁站, 泰安站, High Speed Railway Station). From this station, bus route K18 (fee: ¥2) will bring you to Tai'an city center, where the other station is.
The nearest airport is Jinan Yaoqiang International Airport (JNA) where a shuttle service to the city centre can be found (~¥95)
Tai'an is a really small town compared to Qingdao and Jinan, however, there are more of places worth your seeing and potentially help you to understand the Chinese traditional beliefs.
As of October 2022, Tai'an City administers 2 district-level cities, 2 county-level cities, and 2 counties. The Tai'an City People's Government is located at 3 Wangyue East Road, Taishan District.
- Taishan Distric. Taishan District is located in the central part of Tai'an City and serves as the seat of the Tai'an City Party Committee and City Government. It is the political, economic, technological, cultural, and tourism center of the entire city. Taishan District is situated to the north, backed by Mount Tai, and bordered by Daiyue District of Tai'an City to the east, west, and south. It shares its northern border with Licheng District and Changqing District of Jinan City. The total area covers 336.86 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 5 streets, 2 towns, and 1 township: Daimiao Street, Caiyuan Street, Taiqian Street, Shanggao Street, Xujialou Street, Shengzhuang Town, Qiujia Dian Town, and Dajinkou Township.
- Daiyue District. Daiyue District is located on the sunny side of Mount Tai, along the banks of the Wen River, in the heart of the Qilu region. It is situated to the north of the provincial capital, Jinan, and to the south of Confucius's hometown, Qufu. It is known as the midpoint of the "One Mountain, One River, One Sage" tourist line. Daiyue District is the birthplace of the ancient "Dawenkou Culture" and has been renowned since the Spring and Autumn and Warring States periods as a "land of ancient civilization and fertile soil, where the Qi and Lu states must compete for the fields of Wenyang." It covers a total area of 917.2 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 3 streets, 14 towns, and 1 township: Zhoudian Street, Tianping Street, Beijipo Street, Shankou Town, Zhuyang Town, Fan Town, Jiaoyu Town, Culai Town, Manzhuang Town, Xiazhang Town, Daolang Town, Huangqian Town, Dawenkou Town, Mazhuang Town, Fangcun Town, Liangzhuang Town, Xiagang Town, and Huamawan Township.
- Xintai City. Xintai City is located in the central part of Shandong Province and is one of the top 100 counties nationwide. It is also one of the 15 medium-sized cities designated for key development in Shandong Province. Xintai City was selected as one of the Forbes China's Best County-level Cities during the 7th Forbes China County-level City Ranking. It ranked 25th in the province's scientific development assessment for counties, and it held the 38th position among China's top 100 counties in terms of comprehensive strength for small and medium-sized cities in 2016. Xintai City has received 68 national-level honors, including the title of National Hygienic City, and 78 provincial-level honors, such as being one of the first provincial-level demonstration cities for e-commerce. It covers a total area of 1946 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 3 streets,17towns, and 1 township: Qingyun Street, Xinwen Street, Xinfu Street, Dongdu Town, Xiaoxie Town, Zhai Town, Quangou Town, Yangliu Town, Guodu Town, Xizhangzhuang Town, Tianbao Town, Loudi Town, Yucun Town, Gongli Town, Guli Town, Shilai Town, Fangcheng Town, Liudu Town, Wennan Town, Longting Town, and Yuejiazhuang Township.
- Feicheng City. formerly known as Feizi State, derives its name from this historical association. Located in the middle of Shandong Province, at the western foot of Mount Tai, Feicheng City has received numerous accolades and honors, including being designated a National Hygienic City, an Advanced City in Public Safety Construction, a Forest City, a Water-saving City, an Advanced Cultural County, a Nominee for the Civilized City title, a county with basic balanced development in compulsory education, and recognition with awards like the China Environment Award, the National Model City for Land Resource Conservation and Intensive Use, the Circular Economy Demonstration County, the Green Shade Action Demonstration City, and the Human Settlement Environment Award. It covers a total area of 1,277 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 10 towns and 4 streets: Chaoquan Town, Hutun Town, Shiheng Town, Taoyuan Town, Wangzhuang Town, Anzhan Town, Sunbo Town, Anzhuang Town, Bianyuan Town, and Wenyang Town, as well as Xincheng Street, Laocheng Street, Wangguadian Street, and Yiyang Street.
- Ningyang County. Ningyang County is situated in the western part of Shandong Province, in the southern region of Tai'an City. It is located at the center of the tourism triangle formed by Mount Tai, Qufu, and Shuiboliangshan. To the east, it borders Xintai City, to the west, it connects with Wenshang County, and to the south, it shares a boundary with Yanzhou City. It shares its borders to the southeast with Qufu City and Sishui County, while to the north, it is separated by the Dawai River from Daiyue District and Feicheng City. Ningyang County is positioned between 116°36' to 117°38' east longitude and 35°40' to 35°37' north latitude. It covers a total area of 1,125 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 2 streets, 10 towns, and 1 township: Wenmiao Street, Baxianqiao Street, Sidian Town, Dongshu Town, Fushan Town, Kangcheng Town, Jiangji Town, Ciyao Town, Huafeng Town, Geshi Town, Dongzhuang Town, Heshan Town, and Xiangyin Township.
- Dongping County. Dongping County is located in the southwestern part of Shandong Province, at the confluence of the Yellow River, the Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, and the Da Wen River. It is the birthplace of the Water Margin culture and boasts over 400 natural and cultural attractions, including 5 national-level scenic areas and points of interest.
Dongping Lake, with a total area of 627 square kilometers, is the second-largest freshwater lake in Shandong Province. It serves as a crucial hub for the eastern route of the South-North Water Transfer Project. The lake is also the last remaining water area of the "Eight Hundred Li Waters." It features pristine wetlands covering approximately 40 square kilometers.
The county covers a total area of 1,343 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 3 streets, 9 towns, and 2 townships: Zhoucheng Street, Pengji Street, Shahezhan Town, Laohu Town, Yinshan Town, Banjiudian Town, Jieshan Town, Dayang Town, Timen Town, Xinhuzhen Town, Daimiao Town, Shanglaozhuang Township, and Jiuxian Township.
- The Mt. Tai is the mountain believed to be the palace of gods. With Mt. Helly (Haolishan, 蒿里山) the palace and entrance of hell. There is a river call River Null (Naihe, 奈河, which sounds like 奈何, means helplessness of the death of a life) which is believed to the boundary of the mortal world (Yang, 阳) and the afterlife (Yin, 阴).There are mainly 3 ways to the top of Mt. Tai, since all are prepared for the royal visit, they are called Royal Way or Okimichi. East Royal Way is from Peak Candle (Peak Tianzhu, 天烛峰), West is from the Blossom Valley (Taohuayu or Tyohwa Valley or Peach Blossom Valley, 桃花峪). The Main Royal Way is the most popular choice since it is in the town centre. It goes from the Red Gate (Hom-Men, Hongmen, 红门), via Goddess Pool (Wangmuchi, 王母池), God's cave (Dongbin Cave, 洞宾洞), Confucius footpath (Kongzi Deng Lin Chu, 孔子登临处), then there are cable way to the Middle Haven Gate (Zhongtianmen, 中天门) and then a sharp mountain way called 18 Turns (Shibapan, 十八盘) to the main gate Haven Gate (Nantianmen, 南天门).On the top there are Biha Palace (bixiaci, 碧霞祠, the palace of goddess and god of the ultimate power and who bless the people).
Bus route 3 (Hongmen (Hom-Men, Red Gate, 红门) - Fairyland (Tien-wai-cun, Tianwaicun, 天外村)) takes you to most historical sites in the old Tai'an town.
Bus route 16 can take you from the train station (main station) to Blossom Valley where you can find the beautiful rural area and the beautiful nature, especially the Red Flake Fish (赤鳞鱼 Chìlínyú) which is unique in Mt. Tai.
Bus route 19 can take you to Peak Candle where you can find the undeveloped peaceful mountain view which is tremendously different from the European. Also, a commercial program was launched to provide with the revival of how the traditional emperor worship the mountain Tai, where you will find the Chinese etiquette.
Buses might operate with a K in front, it runs the same route as the normal bus but air-coned which takes ¥2. All buses terminates in its fixed destination, no worry that you might take a short service.
- 1 Culai Mountain (徂徕山). 08:00-17:00. Culai Mountain, also known as Longlai Mountain or Tuolai Mountain, is the sister mountain of Mount Tai. This mountain range runs from northeast to southwest, stretching continuously for 29 kilometers and covering a total area of 250 square kilometers. Its main peak, Taiping Peak, rises to an elevation of 1027 meters, with a relative height of over 800 meters. It is located about 30 kilometers in a straight line from Mount Tai's Yuhuang Peak. Culai Mountain is situated approximately 20 kilometers southeast of Mount Tai and 40 kilometers west of Xintai City. It encompasses a total area of 250 square kilometers, with 97 peaks and more than 100 scenic spots. Over 2500 years ago, it was celebrated in the "Book of Songs" as the "Culai Pine.".
- 2 Dai Miao Temple (the Temple of God of Tai Shan). one of the three most important temples in China, initially built 2000 years ago rebuilt around 1600. ¥40.
- 3 Tai Shan peak (Jade Emperor Peak, 玉皇顶). See main article.
- 4 Old Town Hall (Laoxianya, 老縣衙), 通天街. Nearby you can find various art collections to be sold.
- 5 Fairyland (天外村). The start point of New Middle Royal Path to the peak. Also bus terminus for service to Middle Heaven Gate.
- 6 Puchao Temple (普照寺). Buddist temple. ¥5.
- 7 Red Gate (红门, Hom-Men).
- 8 Daicong Gateway (岱宗坊).
- 9 Blossom Valley (Tyohwa Valley, Taohuayu, 桃花峪).
- 10 Helly Mountain (蒿里山).
- 11 Tiger Hill and Goddess Pool (王母池, 虎山公园).
- 12 Taian Railway Station Historic Site built in 1901 German Colony Age.
- 13 Dongping Lake Scenic Area (东平湖风景区), located in Laohu Town, Dongping County, Tai'an City, Shandong Province. In ancient times, Dongping Lake was known by various names such as "Liao Er Wa," "Da Ye Ze," "Ju Ye Ze," "Liang Shan Bo," and "An Shan Hu." It wasn't until the Xianfeng period of the Qing Dynasty that it was officially named Dongping Lake. It is a preserved water area mentioned in the classic Chinese novel "Water Margin" (also known as "Outlaws of the Marsh"), covering a stretch of water over 800 li (around 400 kilometers). In 1985, it was declared a provincial-level scenic area by the Shandong Provincial People's Government. It is also an important attraction along the Shandong Province's Water Margin-themed tourism route.
- 1 Tai'an Fantawild Joy World, Located to the north of Mingtang Road in the eastern New District of Taishan District, ☏ 400-166-0006 . It is a fourth-generation large-scale high-tech science fiction theme park, consisting of 17 themed project areas including "Dinosaur Crisis," "Extreme Flight," "Mysterious Valley,""Liaozhai,""Mount Vesuvius,""Conch Bay,""Future Police,""Light of Life," and more. It offers over 300 themed, recreational, and scenic attractions and is designed to accommodate an annual visitor volume of 4 million people. Standard ticket: ¥240 Child ticket: ¥180 Senior ticket: ¥180.
- 2 Wanda Cinema, 4F, No. 306, Tai'an Avenue, Tai'an District. 9:00—2:00. There will be the latest movies of the moment in theaters, perfect for watching a movie at your leisure.
Supermarket called In-Zone and RT-mart are near the Taishan train station (not the high-speed rail station) where all kinds of Chinese daily foods are available, also KFC therein.
- 1 Wanda shopping center, Taishan Street, Taishan District. 9:00—22:00. A great place for a shopping experience as well as relaxation and entertainment.
- 1 In Zone Mart (銀座商城). Go to the underground floor for local food market!
- 2 Cheongan Tofu Restaurant (清安豆腐店), No.49, Neighborhood 1, Washukeng, Chingan Village, Tai'an Township, Miaoli County, Taiwan 365, R.O.C, ☏ . 11:00—17:00. Fried black tofu made with black beans is crispy and delicious. Come and try it if you haven't had it before. ¥20.
- Tai Shan Lard-fired Pancakes. a symbol of Tai Shan's famous cuisine, were included in the Intangible Cultural Heritage Protection List of Shandong Province in 2011. The production process for Tai Shan Lard-fired Pancakes is both unique and complex. The ingredients used include lard, flour, yeast, old dough, sesame, and various seasonings. The making of Tai Shan Lard-fired Pancakes involves steps like rendering lard, kneading the dough, allowing it to ferment, preparing the pancake, adding seasonings, and both inner and outer baking. Rendering the lard alone takes over an hour, and the entire process typically spans three to four hours.
- Local food can be found north to Taishan Station, called Kangfu Rd (Hospital Rd, 康复路).
- Taishan's Three Beauties (泰山三美). is a famous Tai'an-style cuisine. Tai'an, known for its high-quality cabbage, tofu, and Tai'an spring water, has long been celebrated as the "Three Beauties of Tai'an." Tai'an cabbage is known for its large size, firm texture, and absence of fibers. Tai'an tofu boasts a fine and pure texture, tender but not tough. Tai'an spring water is clear, sweet, and refreshing, with few impurities. During the Tang Dynasty in the year 736, both Li Bai and Du Fu, when they resided in Shandong, frequently visited Mount Tai and savored the flavors of the "Three Beauties of Tai'an" cuisine. The saying "Traveling the mountains without tasting the Three Beauties, you'll miss the full charm of Mount Tai" is a well-known local praise for the delicious Three Beauties dishes.
- Tai'an Pancakes. are one of the distinctive foods in Tai'an, with a history of over a thousand years of pancake preparation. The production process, while not overly complex, relies on specific ingredient proportions. When freshly baked, these pancakes are crispy, fragrant, and slightly tangy in flavor. What sets Tai'an pancakes apart from those in other parts of Shandong is the additional fermentation step in the processing, giving them a subtle sour taste.
- 1 AShui Big Cup of Tea, No. 138, Area B, Commercial Street, Wanda Plaza, Taishan Street. 9:00—21:30. A variety of milk tea and fruit tea drinks, a beverage brand unique to Shandong, can be tried.
- 1 Taian International Hostel.
- 2 Ramada Plaza Taian Dongzun Hotel, At the bottom of Taishan Mountain, No. 16, East Ying Sheng Road. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. The hotel is a five-star hotel with a convenient location to climb Mount Tai. Bathtub refrigerator and other facilities are complete. Recommended for business trips or family trips. 450-898.
- 3 Taishan Baosheng Hotel, No. 367, Yingsheng Road, Taishan City. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. One of the most highly rated hotels, conveniently located close to the business district for eating and drinking. 448-668.