Taki (Bengali: টাকি TTAH-kih) is a town in the North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. A border town on the Ichhamati River, Taki is a scenic spot with beautiful views of the river.
Taki is a popular day trip and weekend getaway from Kolkata. During the winter months, it doubles up as a picnic spot. There are great views of the river and boat trips on the river are enjoyable. Taki also has a couple of temples, ruined mansions and a small mangrove forest.
Taki is roughly 70 km east of Kolkata and can be reached both by road and rail.
Kolkata bus route #252 runs from Esplanade in Kolkata to nearby Hasnabad, travelling via Barasat and Basirhat past Taki to Hasnabad.
Another bus, #79C, follows a similar route but starts/terminates in Shyambazar rather than Esplanade. The trip takes 2-3 hours.
Taki is part of the Hasnabad section of the Kolkata Suburban Railway, connecting to Sealdah railway station via Barasat. Trip time is about 2 hours and there are several departures daily.
- 1 Taki Road railway station (station code: TKF). It takes 10-15 minutes to get from the station to the riverfront and guest houses by rickshaw.
- 2 Hasnabad railway station (station code: HNB).
Rickshaws can be hired for getting around. 3 Taki Ghat is the main dock with boats for travelling the river.
- 1 Puber Zaminder Bari.
- 2 Taki Jora Mandir.
- 3 Roychowdhury Zaminder House. This is the ancestral house of former Army General Shankar Roychowdhury. There are Natmandir, old temples in the premises.
- 4 Upendra Nath Basu Memorial Water Well (Nalkup). This looks more like a tower than a tube well (Bengali: নলকূপ; nôlkup). It is in dilapidated condition. A marble plaque on the structure mentions that it was built by Swarnatalata Basu in 1932 in memory of her husband Upendra Nath Basu (1873–1892). (Note: The dates in the plaque were according to the Bengali calendar).
- 5 Bisorjon movie shooting spot.
- 6 Golpatar Jungle (Golpataban) (north of town towards Jalalpur). Walking trails under the canopy of Golpata trees. The trails lead to the river where there are views of Bangladesh. It is recommended to bring a photo id as you may be requested to present it before being allowed to enter.
- 7 Durga Dalan, Taki Zamindar Bari.
- 8 Taki Smashan Ghat (Crematory).
- 9 Kali Temple.
- Cruise along the river. Boats can be hired from Taki (Jetty) Ghat.
- The annual Durga Puja festivities are notable because of the town's position on the border with Bangladesh. People from both India and Bangladesh meet on the Ichhamati to do the ritual immersing of the idols in the water.
- 1 Taki Eco Park.
Taki is known for its confectionery called Chhanar Malpoa.
With the nearby river, fresh fish is a local favourite.
The guest houses often have a restaurant that serves meals at a reasonable price.
- 1 Nripendra Atithisala (Taki Municipal Guest House), Taki Uttar Bari, ☏ +91 9331026585, +91 9339375915. Guest house run by Taki Municipality. There is a garden area outside with a play area for children.
- 2 Suhasini Guest House, Taki Uttar Bari, ☏ +91 9330826779, +91 8016065309. Private and dorm rooms in a guest house across the street from the river. Rooms have air conditioning and there is parking and a restaurant.
- 3 Hotel Sonar Bangla, Mansingho Rd, Hasnabad, ☏ +91-9836366680, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Rupasi Bangla Lodge, ☏ +91 3217 233999, email@example.com.
- 5 Shantiniketan Guest House, ☏ +91-8016043744, firstname.lastname@example.org.