Talk:Chicago/Far Northwest Side
Can't reach this place by phone and couldn't find it while driving around. (WT-en) Gorilla Jones 15:59, 11 November 2007 (EST)
- Cameleon Marival Hotel, 4103 N. Dickinson Ave., ☏ . Just off Milwaukee, near the "Six Corners" in Portage Park.
From the outside, it looks like a still-functioning business, but they're never open during the store hours claimed on their door and they never answer their phone, so I'm putting this here until I hear otherwise (WT-en) Gorilla Jones 13:11, 12 November 2007 (EST)
- Crown Gift Shop, 4055 N. Milwaukee Ave (#56 Milwaukee bus), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su closed. Down the block from the Six Corners, this shop covers two storefronts amid several that are closed. It appears they bought the remaining stock of the boarded-up comic book store next door, so an unusually high number of superhero and sci-fi figures sit among collectibles that range from Hummel to intriguing ephemera to just plain odd. They appear to keep irregular hours, so if you're going out of your way to come here, call ahead.
More closures. (WT-en) Gorilla Jones 20:58, 6 September 2010 (EDT)
- CousCous House, 4624 W Lawrence Ave (81 Lawrence bus), ☏ . Sa-Th 11AM-10:30PM, F 3PM-10:30PM. Friendly and warm staff serve up fresh, fluffy couscous, baba ganoush, falafel, and a fine cup of Moroccan Mint tea. $9-15.
- LaSalle Bank Cinema, 4901 W Irving Park Rd, ☏ . Sa 8PM. Movie revival house in Portage Park, with a new old film every weekend. The entrance can be tricky to find if you get there early — go around to the back of the bank. $5 adults, $3 children.
- Angelica's Restaurant, 3244 N Milwaukee Ave (56 Milwaukee bus), ☏ . 11AM-9PM. Polish diner with big portions and low prices, although vegetarians would be well-advised to stick to the kids menu. $7-10.
Closed: (WT-en) Eco84 04:03, 13 July 2012 (EDT)
- Blue Angel, 5310 N Milwaukee Ave (56A or 270 Milwaukee Bus), ☏ . 24 hours. One of the classic all-night bottomless-coffee diners in Chicago, with respectable diner food. If you have an early morning flight out of O'Hare, you could do worse than camping out in these friendly environs — just tip well. $6-12.
- Paul Zakopene Harnas, 2943 N Milwaukee Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 7AM-9PM. Hearty Polish breakfast, lunch, dinner, and booze, with pierogies in-between. $4-$8.
Another closure. The same owners reportedly operate Tanos (3038 W Iring Park Rd) just down the street from the former Manzo's: (WT-en) Eco84 04:24, 13 July 2012 (EDT)
- Manzo's Ristorante, 3210 W Irving Park Rd (80 Irving Park bus), ☏ . Tu-Th 11AM-midnight, F 11AM-2AM, Sa 4PM-2AM. Most of Manzo's business now comes from catering and delivery, but the cavernous dining room at their location in Irving Park is still open, and looks as well-kept as it did at closing time in 1973, if not as well-attended. Chicago mob aficionados with overactive imaginations will find this fertile ground while being well-fed with good, classic Italian food by the friendly old waitresses, with some of the richest salad dressing you're likely to encounter. Entrees $9-$11; weekdays lunch buffet $7, Su all-day buffet $16.
- The Udder Brudder, 5659 W Irving Park Rd (80 Irving Park or 85 Central bus), ☏ . M-F,Su 12PM-2AM, Sa 2PM-3AM. A relaxed, friendly Polish beer garden in Portage Park.