Talk:Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay/Photographer's Reef
- 1 Upgrade to Star
- 2 Star status criteria for dive site
- 3 Discussion from Project:Star nominations for Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay/Photographer's Reef
- 4 Star nominations for Photographer's Reef and Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay
Upgrade to Star
Star status criteria for dive site
- Covers the topic fully.
- Layout and listings either match the manual of style exactly or are the exception that proves the rule.
- Prose is not only near-perfect grammatically but also tight, effective, and enjoyable.
- At least one good-quality photo or illustration accompanies the article. Complies.
- If practical it has a map identifying relevant destinations. Complies.
- A diver competent to dive the site but without any local knowledge should be able to plan a safe and enjoyable dive using the information provided (in conjunction with a regional diving guide if applicable.)
- Conditions during the dive should come as no surprise.
- The site is named Complies.
- Type of site specified Complies.
- Geographical location given in general terms:
- Nearest major landmark, near Complies.
- Nearest City in Complies.
- Region in Complies.
- Country. Complies.
- A map showing the position and layout of the site in some detail, preferably to scale. Complies.
Add names of JJM junior and North Photographer's Reef(done)
- Reason/s why one would choose to dive the site.
Needs work(done) Complies.
- GPS position for the site. Should put a diver at least somewhere on the site, specify where if possible Complies.
- Alternative range and bearing or cross bearings to well defined and reasonably close landmarks. Photos of landmarks desirable. Complies.
- distance from launch site or harbour for boat access (km or N.miles) Complies: See "Get in" section.
- Optional image of whatever the site is named after Not applicable.
- Explanation of origin of the site name, translation if applicable. Complies.
- Maximum depth to be expected on the site Complies.
- If applicable, shallowest point of the site Complies.
- Range of visibility to be expected when conditions are generally considered suitable for diving. Complies.
- Description of the layout of the site Complies.
Split description to subsection for each reef.(done)
- General idea of slope, profile and rugosity
Could use a bit more detail.(done) Complies.
- Description of major features and landmarks
Could use a bit more detail.(done) Complies.
- Condition of wreckage if applicable Not applicable.
- Only for rocky reefs Complies.
- Type of rock, (geological age, name of formation optional) Complies.
Could use a bit of detail on how it got to be that shape.(done)
- Strike and dip optional if applicable Not applicable.
- What weather conditions will result in good diving conditions.Complies.
- Any specific weather conditions which will result in unpleasant or hazardous diving conditions.Complies.
- Any special oceanographic or weather conditions the site is known for. (sudden offshore winds, upwellings, currents, plankton blooms, thermoclines etc) if applicable Complies.
- Information sufficient to allow a reasonably competent diver with a moderate understanding of the local weather and climate to forecast conditions during a planned dive over a short period (3 to 4 hours) when on site.Complies.
- Generally only for shore access dives
Get information from Windmill and Penguin Point articles. Update as appropriate(done) Complies.
- Facilities must be in close walking range of parking area or entry points
- Facilities appropriate to divers and accompanying family only.(parking, ablution, fast food, dive services, picnic areas, security, beach, shade, etc)
- Adequate directions to reach the site. Complies.
- A map or aerial photo indicating the position of entry/exit areas (only for shore entry ) if the main site map is not sufficient. Complies. (main map OK, also has photos)
- Sufficient text for a person who has no local knowledge at all to find the site and identify any access areas with confidence. Complies.
- Photos of the standard entry and exit points if applicable. Complies.
Marine life and/or Features
- Photos of at least three organisms or features one may reasonably expect to see at the site Complies.
- Description of what a diver may see during a dive Complies.
- advice on photographic equipment (macro/wide angle, need for external lighting) if appropriate. Complies.
- photographic opportunities that may be expected or hoped for if applicable.
Could use a bit more information.(done)Complies.
- generally at least one suggested or recommended route, with an indication of what the diver may expect to see. This may be a drift dive if applicable. "Follow the divemaster" is not really a route and will only be accepted if there are really good reasons, which are adequately explained. Complies.
- Site specific hazards of any kind, including access hazards if applicable. "No site specific hazards known" is null default. Complies.
- Comprehensive listing of site related hazards (not regional hazards already in regional guide, ordinary diving hazards nor obvious sea/weather condition hazards). Advice on mitigation is optional.
- security problems and land based hazards may also be mentioned if applicable. (theft/mugging risk, animals stealing food etc)Complies.
- Skills or competence required for diving at the site, if any. Complies.
- Skills recommended for diving at the site, if any. Complies.
- "No special skills required/recommended" is null default.
- any equipment beyond the standard equipment listed for the region in the regional guide, either reqired or recommended for the site for safety of convenience. Reason should be specified if not obvious. Complies.
- "No special equipment required/recommended" is null default
Discussion from Project:Star nominations for Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay/Photographer's Reef
This dive site article has reached the stage where I think it meets the dive site criteria for Star. The article talk page contains a checklist for dive site article star criteria as used in the previous two star articles on dive sites. I would greatly appreciate any comments on what can be done to improve it, and any minor copyediting would also be good, as I have probably gone way past the blindness to small mistakes level by now. Cheers, (WT-en) Peter (Southwood) Talk 08:02, 11 October 2010 (EDT)
- Support — I have gone over it, and added a small section on seacatfish, plus removed what typos and other minor mistakes I found. Just a question: Why Boulders Beach and not Pumphouse Gully? (WT-en) Seascapeza 06:07, 15 October 2010 (EDT)
- Sure. It's the capitalization which isn't consistent. you say Boulders Beach and Pumhouse gully. (WT-en) Seascapeza 05:28, 21 October 2010 (EDT)
- Support. My only request would be to add a caption to Image:Sea squirt at Photographers Reef DSC05042.JPG, and to possibly copyedit the text in the "Get in" section a bit. "Get in" currently contains some sentence fragments ("Usually considered a boat dive.") and I had to re-read the second and third paragraphs a few times to understand the flow. Perhaps these two paragraphs would read better if they were combined into a single paragraph with some transitional text "... Either of these shore entry areas can be reached by driving through Simon's town...". Otherwise, this looks like yet another great article, and the maps are excellent. -- (WT-en) Ryan • (talk) • 16:10, 17 October 2010 (EDT)
- Support. This is a relatively small reef, but well covered, and given my experience diving it (from both shore and by boat), there is nothing missing about its description, location, access, marine life, etc. (WT-en) G Zsilavecz 13:44, 18 October 2010 (EDT)
Star nominations for Photographer's Reef and Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay
These two articles have been nominated for star and await revier and comment at Wikivoyage:Star nominations.
Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay is the first Regional Dive Guide to be nominated for star and therefore it would be desirable to get as much community involvement as possible, as this will to some extent provide a standard for future articles of this kind. (if it makes it). -- (WT-en) Peter (Southwood) Talk 02:30, 15 October 2010 (EDT)
- Photographer's Reef has been promoted to star, Thanks to all who commented.
- A large part of the issues brought up regarding Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay have been addressed, but there is a policy issue outstanding. If anyone has the time to look the discussion over and maybe even check over the article it would be appreciated. I think the process is nearing finalisation, as there is not much more that I can do at this stage based on the current outstanding issues. Cheers, • • • (WT-en) Peter (Southwood) Talk 14:37, 19 November 2010 (EST)